584,800 active members*
4,604 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

My Gingery Inspired lathe project

Hey guys,

I am going to use this thread to chronicle my Gingery inspired lathe.

Initially it was going to be a pure gingery lathe.

After doing more research, I was inspired to deviate a bit from the original plans.

I felt that I could do this a smarter and easier way.

I am copying this guy's concept for the bed (using steel tubing for the bed): Lathe

I am taking that a step further. My source of aluminum was a scrapped aluminum block Trans-AM engine from the mid 90s.

It appears that the steel (or cast iron?) Crankshaft supports are the same width as my tubes, which together equal the width of a cast gingery bed.

If anyone has any ideas for how I could recycle my Cast Iron crankshaft to fabricate parts I am all ears. I also still have some of the steel piston heads. The rods are mostly bent I believe. This was from a blown engine.

Re: My Gingery Inspired lathe project

I had another thought on this, which is at some point to fill the tubing itself with epoxy granite.

When I compare the supports to the original legs It makes me wonder if I should perhaps change things around. My thought was to drill into those nibs and use those parts as the bolt down points.

I do have an extra one of those supports left. Since I can't make it a pair, perhaps I could put that half way between the ends and turn it sideways? I have a bit of extra steel flat I could cover that arch with, or I could turn that one upside down. Or perhaps I might just keep things as is and use that extra support for something else int he build

Hello AxelFoley,
    You will save yourself a lot of work going this route as far as pattern making and casting goes, but there will be other work related to the modifications. I have made the Gingery lathe, milling machine, metal shape, and leaf brake and I deviated from the original plans in some areas with those builds but basically cast all the parts except for some of the smaller aluminum brackets/supports etc. The Gingery machines have been very handy to have and even now that I have built 2 CNC machines and started my 3D printer build those Gingery manual machines come in so handy for simple machining and finishing of cast parts. Keep your build going and stay motivated, and keep us informed on your progress!!
    Regards,
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by metalworkz View Post
    Hello AxelFoley,
    You will save yourself a lot of work going this route as far as pattern making and casting goes, but there will be other work related to the modifications. I have made the Gingery lathe, milling machine, metal shape, and leaf brake and I deviated from the original plans in some areas with those builds but basically cast all the parts except for some of the smaller aluminum brackets/supports etc. The Gingery machines have been very handy to have and even now that I have built 2 CNC machines and started my 3D printer build those Gingery manual machines come in so handy for simple machining and finishing of cast parts. Keep your build going and stay motivated, and keep us informed on your progress!!
    Wood working is such a pain in the ass. I always mess it up by a hair. If I can cut that down I will be quite happy.

Hello AxelFoley,
    Got any links to your builds? Ideas are always welcome

Well just about all work with most materials can be a pain in the butt, but once you put some time into finding what works you may find it can have its rewards as well. I like having the Gingery manual machines for the basic machining as it does not take programming and special set ups to get something done(except for my limitations due to not having chucks etc) The thing about the Gingery projects is he will walk you through it all and gives excellent tips on ways to get it done. The other thing about the wood patterns is they do not have to be 'precise' so to speak because there is normally some finish work to get the required areas within tolerance. Just the closer you get the casting the less material to machine(or file and scrape off) All of the skills, tips and ideas presented in the series come in handy when you apply them to future work so it is like and investment into your capabilities. Breaking things down into smaller, simpler steps is one of the principles that comes in very handy with these builds and I apply those same principles to the other things I have made and regular projects. I have my first CNC build posted here on the zone and also my larger 48" x 60" CNC router is under I believe 'concrete base idea' for new machine build.
    I think I posted the Gingery builds to a Gingery Yahoo group but am not sure since I have not been to that group in some time

I will have to find the links and post them here:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...ml#post1615690
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...01387-cnc.html
    Regards,
    Wes

I think that was my problem, i was taking great pains to get the wooden patterns exactly right

Well I do precision sheet metal for an occupation so I am used to holding fairly tight tolerances with my work, but you can get good results just keeping the dimensions of the patterns within a fraction of an inch(say within 1/32" ) measuring with a tape measure or scale. Keep in mind the shrinkage rate for aluminum which Dave Gingery teaches in his book(about 1/8" per foot f I remember right) For me to make it easier to figure the sizes of the pattern parts with a scale factor and multiply the sizes by that factor, and although you can make a shrink rule equivalent to use when you measure I just found it easier to work with the scale factor. [12.125 divided by 12=1.0104] and that is the factor you can use to figure the sizes with shrinkage included. Another thing that may help checking the dimensions is a set of calipers, but that will be more evident when you get to the metal machining etc.
    I have all the patterns for the 3 machines stored in boxes, and I had thought of making a set of drawings for them all in a .dxf format so they could be CNC machined but am not sure if that would be OK with the Gingery's or if anyone would even be interested. Probably the people with a CNC would not be so interested in manual machines but for myself they do come in handy for simple machining.
    Regards,
    Wes

I have all the patterns for the 3 machines stored in boxes, and I had thought of making a set of drawings for them all in a .dxf format so they could be CNC machined but am not sure if that would be OK with the Gingery's or if anyone would even be interested. Probably the people with a CNC would not be so interested in manual machines but for myself they do come in handy for simple machining.
    Hell yeah there'd be lot's of people interested in that Wes! I would also suspect that there possibly may not be any issues with the Gingery's, as anybody who was interested in them would already have the books! I know I bought the separate volumes, and then last xmas got the whole set in a beautifully bound volume off the missus. I suppose even if they were only made available to book owners?

I love my cnc machine, but there's still something about manual machines, especially a shaper, that is something to behold. I have longed after a shaper for years, and plan to build the Gingery one when possible.

I actually picked up a fairly heavy duty Festo linear actuator off a mate very similar to the link below, that I thought would be perfect for a Gingery lathe type build.

FESTO PNEUMATIC LINEAR ACTUATOR DGPL-25-418PPVA NNB , Concepts Industrial Online

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post
    Hell yeah there'd be lot's of people interested in that Wes! I would also suspect that there possibly may not be any issues with the Gingery's, as anybody who was interested in them would already have the books! I know I bought the separate volumes, and then last xmas got the whole set in a beautifully bound volume off the missus. I suppose even if they were only made available to book owners?

I love my cnc machine, but there's still something about manual machines, especially a shaper, that is something to behold. I have longed after a shaper for years, and plan to build the Gingery one when possible.

I actually picked up a fairly heavy duty Festo linear actuator off a mate very similar to the link below, that I thought would be perfect for a Gingery lathe type build.

FESTO PNEUMATIC LINEAR ACTUATOR DGPL-25-418PPVA NNB , Concepts Industrial Online

cheers, Ian
    Seconded. I would be highly interested.

Ok, so I just finished "cooking" my crank case supports to get all the oil out. I tried to braze the mounts together when I noticed oil would seep out of the pores.
    I left it in my foundry for 30 minutes or so to draw out and burn off the oil.

I don't have/can't afford a welder, so I'm hoping silver solder would be sufficient to hold it together, at least until this is bolted down to some sort of base.

I don't think it is necessary to bond them together, and they will need to be attached to the tubing any way right? I think I would just drill and tap them so the tubing could be bolted to them. What are you planning to use for the bed ways? The original machine uses .25" x 3.00" CRS flat bar, and the bed needs to be bolted to the tubing also. Just thinking it may not be needed to solder/weld those.
    On the drawings for the Gingery projects I would probably work on one machine at a time.
    Regards,
    Wes

I don't think it is necessary to bond them together, and they will need to be attached to the tubing any way right? I think I would just drill and tap them so the tubing could be bolted to them. What are you planning to use for the bed ways? The original machine uses .25" x 3.00" CRS flat bar, and the bed needs to be bolted to the tubing also. Just thinking it may not be needed to solder/weld those.
    On the drawings for the Gingery projects I would probably work on one machine at a time.
    Ah, that makes sense. I was going to try to have a bolt going through everything, which is hard to do if everything isn't secured together. I suppose I will pick up a tap set and work it that way.

I think I will stick with the CRS for the ways.

CRS is readily available in most areas and the price is reasonable as well. With the aluminum cross slide it should last a very long time. I believe I finished my Gingery lathe back in 1987 and it has served me very well with not much wear; I think I have re-shimmed it once or twice. I attached a pic of my G-Lathe.
    Attachment 261992
    Regards,
    Wes

Ian, here is a pic of my Gingery metal shaper. It is basically all done per the book except some of the brackets etc. that is opted to make from scraps I had to avoid the time of casting. I have not begun to tap into the capabilities of a shaper but am sure when I have the need it will get it done. I like the automatic feed and it frees me up to do some other things while it is running.
    Attachment 261996
    Attachment 261994
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BrktInsideEdgesShaper.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	261998
    Regards,
    Wes

That looks beautiful. I was wondering whether I would bother with the shaper but I figure I might as well get it done too. I will have a lot of spare aluminum left over.

What a fantastic job Wes!

I don't know what it is but out of all the machines and tools available, I think the shaper, even though it's outdated now, is the most fascinating machine for me. I could really enjoy just chilling in the workshop with a beer, watching the shaper just grind away!

I'm thinking that when I finally get around to one, I might make it a little smaller scale, as it's the action of it working that I love, not actually getting machining done so much.

If I build it small enough, it can have pride of place right next to my miniature Manson lathe!

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

aarggh: Here is a video that is right up your alley then:

I ran across this recently, makes me reconsider building this instead:

MultiMachine | Open Source Machine Tools

Gingery Lathe DC Motor Controller & Driver
    http://morgandemers.com/dc-motor-con...river-project/

Page 1 of 3 123