587,493 active members*
3,331 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Visual Mill > Alibre files for VM 5

Red face Alibre files for VM 5

Does anybody here have experience using Alibre stl or iges 3d files for VM? If so what file type do you use and what settings are required for proper file export from Alibre to keep VM happy? I find that some corner radius es are exported in several sections and VM wants to put lead in and lead outs on every section, so for a simple "u" shaped cut out rather than having one lead-in and one lead-out, it has several all through the "U" shape cut out. I suppose one could machine each section of the radius seperatly removing the leads but that would be a pain. Any thoughts? I really like using Alibre.........but if the two are not compatible then I should stop while I am ahead.
    Exotic Welder

I've purchased V6.0.

My imports for curves are coming in at sections, meaning I'm not seeing a true curve. its the same way on my cuts.

Trying to figure it out what is the best way to go from Alibre to VM.

Currently (1st part) I'm importing using IGES.

I am not on Alibre, but I import from SolidWorks.

I find the igs easier to work with in VM because it gives you seperate surfaces instead of 1 big lump (think extract edge curve function here or ability to create regions).

When saving stl in the CAD you need to set the triangle resolution to very fine.
    Machining preferences in VM need the part sampling to be set to fine (BEFORE YOU OPEN THE IMPORTED PART).
    The higher the quality of 3D you work with in VM will dictate how slow your computer works. I haven't recorded a bench mark but long ago I tried the same part at course setting and at fine setting and 3D mop generation went from 5min. to 45min.

You also need to chose the correct options for "output as linear segments". There are also options for arc fitting.

Dave - what machining strategies are u referring to? it makes a difference.
    If you are doing 2.5d either chain or join your regions (or draw new ones).

Hopefully this will get you going better.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

I also VERY strongly recomend.
    If you only need 2.5D machining DO NOT import a model, it just complicates th hell out of everything.

Save a stripped version of your part/model drawing as a dwg/dxf and import that into VM.

By stripped I mean no dimensions, no title block, no hidden lines, etc
    Oh yea, it is also best to have the dwg as 1 to 1 scale.

I'm getting my models from Alibre working. Using STL, IGES and about to use STP files.

Here are the settings I'm using:
    Go to Tools>File Types
    File type IGES
    I have all check boxes unchecked, I've not played to much in this area, however with no options checked my models are coming across with smooth radius's)
    File type STL
    Maximum Cell Size: 0
    Normal Deviation: 1
    Surface Deviation: 0 (You can use -1 or other values)
    This has been giving me great models. Currently I'm working on one that seems very complicated and causing VM to slow down on calculations. I'm still working on it.

I'm liking VM in whats its doing. Its saved me MANY hours of cut time. That and I'm getting wiser on how to setup cuts.

As for lead in/out you can eliminate those in VM, Just turn it off by clicking "None".

I've spoke to both MecSoft and Alibre and with enough info gathering, I'm becoming very pleased with this combination. I'm finding myself going back to older parts and redoing them.

That's great