586,643 active members*
2,636 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Flood Coolant Recommendations for Torus?

Flood Coolant Recommendations for Torus?

What is the latest consensus on flood coolant? I remember seeing a bunch of remarks about coolant in various recent threads, but wasn't able to find them.

I will be machining steel, aluminum, titanium, etc. I'm hoping to avoid rusting and coolant going bad if I don't work on the mill for a month.

I'm trying to take advantage of the twice yearly Enco 20% off sale with free shipping, which ends in about 70 minutes (11 PM EST). It looks like they have Trim Microsol 585XT, Trim E206, Trim SOL, and Rustlick WS-5050 on sale.

Titaniumboy

Re: Flood Coolant Recommendations for Torus?

You'll never get consensus, as most people only have experience with one or two. I've been using Rustlick WS-5050 for several years, and am very happy with it.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Ray,

Thanks for the reply. Rustlick WS-5050 sounds good to me. $30.95 per gallon - 20% = $24.76. And free shipping.

Or it would have been. Enco's website went down around 10:30 EST and still isn't up. Hopefully Enco will still honor this deal tomorrow morning...

Another one I plan to try once I finish off my current 5-gallon bucket of Rustlick is Mobilmet S-122.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I think that the Enco website not working for me last night is due to a corrupted cache or cookies on my Safari 7 browser. Still isn't working on this particular computer, but I think I'll have better luck on one of the other computers. Enco said that the 20% off code and the free shipping code would be extended until 11 PM EST tonight.

What advances are you hoping that the Mobilmet will provide over the Rustlick? Cost? Surface finish? Better corrosion protection? Longer sump life?

Quote Originally Posted by Titaniumboy View Post
    I think that the Enco website not working for me last night is due to a corrupted cache or cookies on my Safari 7 browser. Still isn't working on this particular computer, but I think I'll have better luck on one of the other computers. Enco said that the 20% off code and the free shipping code would be extended until 11 PM EST tonight.

What advances are you hoping that the Mobilmet will provide over the Rustlick? Cost? Surface finish? Better corrosion protection? Longer sump life?
    The Enco website is horrible. It frequently has cookie and cache problems, FAR more than any other site I know (well, except for this one.....).

I don't really expect the Mobilmet to be much different. I just like to try different things, in case there is a difference. It does appear to me to leave a nicer, basically clear, oil film on the machine after use. The Rustlick leaves a blue-ish film.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Trim 585xt is a pretty popular all around coolant. May have issues with form tapping, but good otherwise. Lasts forever, clean in the machine, ok smell.
    PM-45 CNC conversion built/run/sold.

I couldn't bring up the Enco website on four different computers running several different browsers and operating systems. None were working as of last night. I kept getting advice from Enco to enable cookies and Javascript, clear corrupted caches, change the security settings within the browsers, etc. Did a little bit of clearing cookies and caches, but was having a hard time believing that all four computers were having the same problems seemingly overnight.

As a last resort I reset my wifi router and DSL modem this morning. Bingo, the Enco website came up just like it used to. I have no idea how or why my router and/or modem was blocking this single solitary website?

I ended up going with the Trim Microsol 585XT over the RustlickWS-5050 because the Rustlick doesn't appear to be recommended for use with titanium, whereas the Trim Microsol 585XT appears to work with cast iron, steel, copper, aluminum, and titanium. I got one gallon for $26.95 -20% = $21.56, along with free shipping.

Speaking of 20% off and free shipping, the promo codes MONDAY (free shipping) and CYBER (20% off) were still working on the Enco website when I placed my order this afternoon. These two promo codes worked in spite of the deadline being shown as 12/1/14 on the website. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Titaniumboy View Post
    Did a little bit of clearing cookies and caches, but was having a hard time believing that all four computers were having the same problems seemingly overnight.
    My experience on my MBA with Safari is that Enco faults on load up probably 50-70% of the time. Clearing the cache immediately solves the problem and I am able to reload the website. Enco obviously has some sort of consistency error in the format of the cookie they are saving on your computer.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.