586,874 active members*
3,078 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Fixture Feature (or, how I learned to stop worrying and love tooling plates)

Hybrid View

Re: Fixture Feature (or, how I learned to stop worrying and love tooling plates)

Very cool,
    I have used these for a while now and found this method fast and easy to setup and use in both design and cam ops.
    As you mentioned you can add holes to design to hold parts or use existing opening with screws and washers or other holders.
    "mini pallets " I call them was the reason for buying tc unit and learn tapping setups. 110 holes on each and I make 3 or 4 at a time.
    I make them in both aluminum and acrylic in a couple different sizes but mostly use a 5x6 that fits in vise best.
    The holes 0.5 on center and squared edges. I use a machinist square clamped to pallet for aligning parts and tighten screws down.
    Also have these as fixtures in cam software along with screws and washers to include in models for tool path avoidance and checking
    Just need to be carful on depth to avoid milling pallet surface to much or needing to resurface it.

Some pictures of my pallets

Attachment 243852

Attachment 243854

Anyway great to see others using this method, I was wondering what others did.
    md

Re: Fixture Feature (or, how I learned to stop worrying and love tooling plates)

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Very cool,
    I have used these for a while now and found this method fast and easy to setup and use in both design and cam ops.
    As you mentioned you can add holes to design to hold parts or use existing opening with screws and washers or other holders.
    "mini pallets " I call them was the reason for buying tc unit and learn tapping setups. 110 holes on each and I make 3 or 4 at a time.
    I make them in both aluminum and acrylic in a couple different sizes but mostly use a 5x6 that fits in vise best.
    The holes 0.5 on center and squared edges. I use a machinist square clamped to pallet for aligning parts and tighten screws down.
    Also have these as fixtures in cam software along with screws and washers to include in models for tool path avoidance and checking
    Just need to be carful on depth to avoid milling pallet surface to much or needing to resurface it.

Some pictures of my pallets

Attachment 243852

Attachment 243854

Anyway great to see others using this method, I was wondering what others did.
    md

MTD - Can you email me the solid model of the Tormach vise, or is there a D/L for it somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    MTD - Can you email me the solid model of the Tormach vise, or is there a D/L for it somewhere?
    Tormach web site has a decent selection of their fixtures models pre-drawn and filed under documents and drawings. "solid models"
    Car lane and other fixture suppliers also have some of theirs available.

btw the bolts, nuts , studs shown holding vise ARE NOT included in my cam models
    Wow do some of those take up so much memory and slows things to a crawl at times... so be careful
    The ones I add like screws and washers, plates... I keep them very simple so not to use memory for no reason!
    Hope this helps
    md