586,655 active members*
3,267 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > BobCad V20 question
Page 1 of 2 12

Question BobCad V20 question

OK I just downloaded the demo version of BobCAD/CAM V20. I'm looking for a tool to build 3d Models to cut on my "future" 3D cnc router. So far this doesn't seem to be it.

I've tried to figure out how to do what I think is a simple object. Basically a brick wall, a slab 1/2" thick by 10"x20" with a horizontal groove .025 deep every .1" up the surface. I'm stopped! I can make a rectanglular blob but I see no way to create horizontal grooves.

Are there any tutorials available to tell me how to use BobCAD/CAM

Looking at the available options am I correct in my determination that there is no extrude command (so I could create a profile and extrude it in the correct direction)? I also am unable to determine how to make an opening in the rectangluar blob.

I've used autocad for years but this is defeating me.

Nick

call Bobcad they can do an on-line Demo of your part with you, ask for Chad Clark 1-877-262-2231 ext 124 and yes it can be done in version 20 With any software you buy there will be a learning curve.It can be very mind blowing. So make sure what ever you buy, it will do what you need.

Thanks Mike,
    I'll give then a call.

The problem with learning curves is when the are so steep I can't figure out if the software will even do what I want until I've bought it. :drowning:

If you go with version 20 it will be less money than version 21 you maybe able to get it for $500 and when version 22 comes out the cost to upgrade (ver. 22 will be a major inprovement) will not be as much in overall expense of cad/cam system
    Also Welcome to the Zone.
    for the record I don't work for Bobcad. but I have used the software for a few years now.You will find there are a lot of Bobcad user that will take the time to help you

What version of AutoCAD are you using? If 2002 or newer, I wrote a macro that would have no problem cutting those grooves.

For what you're doing (in this instance), a simple 2D drawing of the actual toolpaths and SheetCAM or ACE converter will write the g-code no problems.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

as you alread know wireframe, I would not wasted your time on SheetCAM or ACE converter .They are good programs for there intendented perpose.But with your cad experences 3d will come fast.You may also want to look at Onecnc it to is a good vaule for the money

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside
    as you alread know wireframe, I would not wasted your time on SheetCAM or ACE converter .
    So it's better to spend $500-$1000, even if the $150 (or free) option does the job and is easier to learn?

You've never tried SheetCAM either, have you?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Bcc V20.7

Don't forget Rhino, and Alibre Mike

Here are some screen shots of BCC V20.7 CAD Solids. BCC is what I can afford and it's all I use at the monent. For the Price I couldn't pass it by. Most of these parts are for Aerospace,and Boats (Schooners I believe). Some took a long time where as others didn't. I did these solids with just BCC. BTW; my friends don't call me tobyaxis for nothing and like Mike, I don't work for BCC either but they did offer me a job this year.

BCC Website Link http://216.117.147.20/bobcadsupport/forums/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails example clevis part.JPG   SHOULDER HARNESS3.JPG   SHOULDER HARNESS 2.JPG   render1.JPG  

surfaces bccv20.JPG  
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis
    Don't forget Rhino, and Alibre Mike
    http://216.117.147.20/bobcadsupport/forums/
    He has autocad I don't he needs a another cad, he needs cam. Alibre and Rhino are drawing package/ Cam is an expensive add on

Talking Ooops!!!!!!!

He has autocad I don't he needs a another cad, he needs cam. Alibre and Rhino are drawing package/ Cam is an expensive add on
    I saw that, but was trying to be nice and give suggestions for thought
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Thanks for the replies guys,
    I looked around and found a couple of tutorials which helped some, I'm still not sure I won't go to solidworks I can get it through work fairly cheap and I can get lots of help from the guys here( We use it for all our mechanical design work.

A little background, I come from a family of machinists my dad, and two uncles were machinists. I've been using a lathe since I was 14, I've got a B.E. (Mech) which I've never really used professionally. I went into air pollution control (EPA) and then Software Engineering. (I work for NOAO, the US National Observatory, doing programing and design for low level hardware control systems.)

At home I use autocad LT 98 to do plans for RR modeling and wierd tool design, (a rivet maker, wire bender jigs, special pliers, etc.). I've used a bridgeport for parts from aluminum, steel and wood, built custom vices for model work and lots of jigs.

I'm getting into CNC and plan to buy a 24"x48"x4"+ router to do small parts (windows, doors, brackets, wheels), car sides and buildings in various scales from 1:48 to 1:12.

Most of my autocad work up to now is drawing a full sized 2D plan and printing it out in 1:20 scale for my home RR. When I retire I'd like to turn this into a part-time business making cheap(hopefully) custom parts and buildings for Garden Railroads. I love doing CAD work, (I fell in love with mechanical drawing in high school, when my architect uncle bought me my first drafting tool set, pencil and sharpener, Remember pencils?)

I started out thinking about building my own CNC machine but decided I did not want to change hobbies from Model Railroading to CNC machine building so I decide to buy a machine. I'm at the point where I have a couple of candidate machines and need to start thinking about appropriate software.

The total budget is around $8k for everything.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

With that Budget, I suggest you get BCC V21 or above and spend the largest amount on the Router. If things pick up for you then get more top of the line CAM.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Well, I went to one of our designer/draftsman and asked if I could try his version of Solidworks. In 30 Min I had completed the first tutorial and built about a third of the brick wall. Isn't it nice to have well-documented software?

I expect I'll get an educational version of Solidworks ($300 good for two years) then upgrade as money allows.

So having taken care of the CAD part, can BobCAD/CAM import a model from Solidworks and output the cam part? How much mucking about will there be?

Is there a better/cheaper/cleaner solution?

Quote Originally Posted by nbuchholz
    Well, I went to one of our designer/draftsman and asked if I could try his version of Solidworks. In 30 Min I had completed the first tutorial and built about a third of the brick wall. Isn't it nice to have well-documented software?

I expect I'll get an educational version of Solidworks ($300 good for two years) then upgrade as money allows.

So having taken care of the CAD part, can BobCAD/CAM import a model from Solidworks and output the cam part? How much mucking about will there be?

Not that I'm aware of. BobCAD-CAM is the Cheapest Most Powerful Around $500 with a little crying to a sales rep . As a note V21 will import SolidWorks files with no problems. Mike [lakeside] can be of more assistance with V21, because I use V20.7.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Save the file in the IGES or IGS format and Bobcad can open it. When you open it in Bobcad use the separate surfaces option and it will be easy to manipulate and machine individual areas of the CAD data. If you buy Bobcad for the CAM end of your needs, make sure you get the manual and tutorial videos. Some of the steps needed to produce the toolpaths you want are not always intuitive so you definitely want the manual and videos. Best of luck to you.

I use Bobcad V20.6 and I import Solidworks files as described above.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzleman20
    I use Bobcad V20.6 and I import Solidworks files as described above.
    As a note do lots and lots of crying for a good price :stickpoke
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by ger21
    You've never tried SheetCAM either, have you?
    I've been working in the cnc and machining field for over 25 years and no shop in the Boston area has ever used sheetcam.
    I find it hard to believe, that anyone would run sheetcam on a cnc. Given the ability of the machine they just made/buy. The only reason to buy a package like this is to learn. The person who started this thread already knows AutoCAD. If he bought sheetcam it would be a waste of both his time building/buying the machine and learning sheet cam (might take a day or two)...3d and profile and embossing would be worth this man's time, in this case. For someone who wants to learn wire frame sheetcam is a great start

Quote Originally Posted by nbuchholz
    Ver 21 will open soldworks file.But you will need to save as iges. There are cheaper was to go But is it worth it when over a 5 year period of use for 1k that $200 a year. If you buy less how long untill you out grow it ablity?

I've been working in the cnc and machining field for over 25 years and no shop in the Boston area has ever used sheetcam.
    I find it hard to believe, that anyone would run sheetcam on a cnc. Given the ability of the machine they just made/buy. The only reason to buy a package like this is to learn. The person who started this thread already knows AutoCAD. If he bought sheetcam it would be a waste of both his time building/buying the machine and learning sheet cam (might take a day or two)...3d and profile and embossing would be worth this man's time, in this case. For someone who wants to learn wire frame sheetcam is a great start
    SheetCAM was made for hobbiests, and it's only been around for about 2 years. You've never used it, but you know it'd be a waste of time, even though he could make the same parts that BobCAD could, probably in less time using SheetCAM?? Most 2.5D parts that people use BobCAD for can easily be done in SheetCAM, easier and for a lot less money. You don't need to do everything in 3D, just because you can.

Apparently, in your opinion, BobCAD is better than everything more expensive because it's cheaper, and it's better than everything less expensive because it has more features. So nobody buy anything but BobCAD.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Page 1 of 2 12