586,822 active members*
3,401 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > ZX Lathe axis orientation

ZX Lathe axis orientation

I'm trying to use the ZX Lathe machine from the SC8 machine library to start learning how to do lathe operations and am having a problem with the the way axes are shown for the part (G54 offset) and the Triad in the lower left corner of the screen as shown below. The part axis shows Y (green arrow) toward bottom left screen whereas the triad has Z axis pointing in that direction. What am I missing or doing wrong?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZX Lathe Axes.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	240454

Mike

Re: ZX Lathe axis orientation

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    What am I missing or doing wrong?
    Good question! If you look at most of the Sprut videos the Z axis isn't where you (or I) would expect it to be. It does work, but I don't understand why Sprut behaves that way.
    I draw my turned parts in Alibre on the ZX plane, but with the X axis representing the rotational axis. The XY plane should also work but I sometimes have difficulty selecting some of the curves. The ZX plane seems to work a little better in this respect.
    In Sprut the rotational axis starts of in X. I also define the stock parallel to the X axis. Everything looks fine at this point except that the axes are rotated.
    Then select "Machine Visibility" to show the machine. Well, in my case I don't see a machine but the axes rotate to match what I would expect.
    I don't get the logic behind this so I'm probably missing something too, but this appears to be normal, and it does work. The G-Code comes out correct as well - depending on the postprocessor of course.
    Step

Thanks TS - at least I'm not completely crazy. I use Alibre (now GeoMagic Design) too and generally use the XY plane for all parts. Invariably that means transposing axes in SprutCAM for milling operations but that is pretty easy to do from within SprutCAM.

I'm not sure how, but I did manage to get SC8 to align the part axes with the lathe axes. I don't think I enabled Machine Visibility but will remember that trick for the future. Why in the heck does SC insist on aligning X with the spindle and Z with the cross slide? So far as I know that is opposite to the normal arrangement for a lathe. Maybe it is meant for the Duality lathe and a SBL machine definition will have the axes arranged correctly.

Mike

...at least I'm not completely crazy...
    You'll have to judge that for youself
    I'm not sure how, but I did manage to get SC8 to align the part axes with the lathe axes. I don't think I enabled Machine Visibility...
    I thought that for a while too but now I'm convinced that I must have had Machine Visibility turned on. I once found a short description of this effect from Sput UK but I can't find it anymore - maybe it wasn't part of their payed support at the time.
    ...Why in the heck does SC insist on aligning X with the spindle and Z with the cross slide? So far as I know that is opposite to the normal arrangement for a lathe. Maybe it is meant for the Duality lathe...
    This machine setup appears to be generic. The Duality Lathe post-processor rotates the axis again so I can't see how this could be connected. I've no idea why Sprut does it, but it's one of those things that I can get along with - I have other problems with SC7 that are much more difficult to get to grips with.
    Step

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    I've no idea why Sprut does it, but it's one of those things that I can get along with
    A while back I looked at this diagram for swiss machine and figured no wonder these programs can be a challenge to setup, learn, tweak, modify and use.

Attachment 240968

Not that this helps with the subject much.