586,459 active members*
3,424 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Should I buy Grizzly's new G0758 mill or LMS HiTorque 3960 mill ?

Should I buy Grizzly's new G0758 mill or LMS HiTorque 3960 mill ?

All:

I am in the market for a new mini mill. I almost pulled the trigger on the LMS 3960 mill. But yesterday as i was browsing Grizzly's website, I came across the G0758. This seems to be a newer watered down version of the G0704. Now I am torn !. Should I buy the LMS3960 or the G0758 ? Each have their strengths and weaknesses. The 3960's brushless belt drive and larger table (WRT regular mini-mill) seems good (I sold my harbor freight mini mill yesterday that had the belt drive mod. So I know how good the belt drive is). But what i like in the G0758 is the Z screw drive. It would be very easy to add a stepper motor in place of the hand crank. I also like the fact that the quill moves like a drill, independent of the Z axis. This quill also has a DRO.

Couple of downsides for me in the G0758 are:

1: The T-slot width is 3/8. Thats a bummer because i have the 7/16" T-slots left-over from my mini-mill. I'll have to end up buying the smaller t-slot clamping system.
    2: If the quill can move like a drill, I am not sure of rigidity of the quill itself.
    3: Geared brushed motor with max rpm at 2000
    4: Total Z travel is 1" less than the LMS3960 (8.25" versus 9.8")

Good things about the G0758

1: I think the gibs are tapered. They look just like the G0704.
    2: Drill like quill.
    3: Screw drive on Z axis.
    4: At approx 250 lbs, it is heavy. So it might have better rigidity

I do worry that if the 3960's brushless system breaks down, it would cost a lot more to replace than a simple brushed system as in the G0758.

Regarding availability, looks like G0758 will only be available in May. The 3960 is available right now. However I am in no hurry to buy the mill now.

Considering all the above, I would love to hear the feedback of you wise folk on which machine you think would be better !

Thanks!

Re: Should I buy Grizzly's new G0758 mill or LMS HiTorque 3960 mill ?

I think the T slots are for 3/8" studs, the slots themselves are 7/16" (At least they are on the G0704) just like the Mini Mill.
    Q: How many tools does it take before a simple task becomes a project?
    A: Just one. I'm the Tool that turns a simple task in to a project.

The description on Grizzly's website says that T-slot is 3/8". Hence using 5/16" studs. Yup the G0704 has 1/2" T-slots

Quote Originally Posted by rkovvur View Post
    All:

I am in the market for a new mini mill. I almost pulled the trigger on the LMS 3960 mill. But yesterday as i was browsing Grizzly's website, I came across the G0758. This seems to be a newer watered down version of the G0704. Now I am torn !. Should I buy the LMS3960 or the G0758 ? Each have their strengths and weaknesses. The 3960's brushless belt drive and larger table (WRT regular mini-mill) seems good (I sold my harbor freight mini mill yesterday that had the belt drive mod.
    What was the problem with the Harbor Freight machine? I'd be concerned that you will be replacing a small mill with another small mill. I wouldn't buy either unless you can define why you got rid of the Mini mill. On top of that you need to express what your interests are (CNC, model engines, model boats, electronics hobbies & etc).
    So I know how good the belt drive is). But what i like in the G0758 is the Z screw drive. It would be very easy to add a stepper motor in place of the hand crank. I also like the fact that the quill moves like a drill, independent of the Z axis. This quill also has a DRO.

Couple of downsides for me in the G0758 are:

1: The T-slot width is 3/8. Thats a bummer because i have the 7/16" T-slots left-over from my mini-mill. I'll have to end up buying the smaller t-slot clamping system.
    Trivial problem really.
    2: If the quill can move like a drill, I am not sure of rigidity of the quill itself.
    Personally when I get to the point of buying a mill it will likely be to CNC so many of the features on these mills are useless.
    3: Geared brushed motor with max rpm at 2000
    Which is extremely slow for some uses. Again you can't or we can't,guess at what you need without an idea as to your interests.
    4: Total Z travel is 1" less than the LMS3960 (8.25" versus 9.8")
    More like an inch and a half. Z travel can be extremely important on these small mills. Again you have to be extremely honest with your self as to how you expect to use this mill. Add up the heights of the vise you are likely to use, the drill chuck and the length of stick out on a 1/2" drill bit in that chuck! Will you have a enough room to do the job?
    Good things about the G0758

1: I think the gibs are tapered. They look just like the G0704.
    2: Drill like quill.
    If you want to do a lot of drilling a drill press might be a better choice. If you go the CNC route it is also a waste
    3: Screw drive on Z axis.
    Not really a big deal.
    4: At approx 250 lbs, it is heavy. So it might have better rigidity
    Each it might but it is still a small mill, don't let weight fool you here.

I do worry that if the 3960's brushless system breaks down, it would cost a lot more to replace than a simple brushed system as in the G0758.
    It might also be trouble free much longer! If you follow some of the 704 threads the motors Grizzly has out on these mills have sucked badly. Even then an aftermarket DC motor is still something that requires maintenance.
    Regarding availability, looks like G0758 will only be available in May. The 3960 is available right now. However I am in no hurry to buy the mill now.

Considering all the above, I would love to hear the feedback of you wise folk on which machine you think would be better !

Thanks!
    Really not enough info. My big concern is that if you are buying a new mill because the old one is too small then you need to consider carefully if either of these is really what you need. You may be a candidate for a larger mill. Of course I haven't seen the grizzly yet but prior hardware would indicate that this mill is not ready out of the box the way LMS mill is. The biggest point of concern being the spindle motor and possible cutting of corners to add features.

The T-nuts from a larger mill would not work on my G0704 so I bought some square nuts and used a lathe to turn down the thickness until they would go in the slots. Problem solved !!!!!!!!!!

Don

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    What was the problem with the Harbor Freight machine? I'd be concerned that you will be replacing a small mill with another small mill. I wouldn't buy either unless you can define why you got rid of the Mini mill. On top of that you need to express what your interests are (CNC, model engines, model boats, electronics hobbies & etc).

Trivial problem really.

Personally when I get to the point of buying a mill it will likely be to CNC so many of the features on these mills are useless.

Which is extremely slow for some uses. Again you can't or we can't,guess at what you need without an idea as to your interests.

More like an inch and a half. Z travel can be extremely important on these small mills. Again you have to be extremely honest with your self as to how you expect to use this mill. Add up the heights of the vise you are likely to use, the drill chuck and the length of stick out on a 1/2" drill bit in that chuck! Will you have a enough room to do the job?

If you want to do a lot of drilling a drill press might be a better choice. If you go the CNC route it is also a waste

Not really a big deal.

Each it might but it is still a small mill, don't let weight fool you here.

It might also be trouble free much longer! If you follow some of the 704 threads the motors Grizzly has out on these mills have sucked badly. Even then an aftermarket DC motor is still something that requires maintenance.

Really not enough info. My big concern is that if you are buying a new mill because the old one is too small then you need to consider carefully if either of these is really what you need. You may be a candidate for a larger mill. Of course I haven't seen the grizzly yet but prior hardware would indicate that this mill is not ready out of the box the way LMS mill is. The biggest point of concern being the spindle motor and possible cutting of corners to add features.

Thanks Wizard. I sold my mini mill because i came across the LMS 3690 and had to buy it for its brushless belt drive system Nothing else. I liked my mini mill from harbor freight.
    Yea the more i see it, looks like the LMS machine is better. I usually work with plastics and some aluminum. Mostly to mill stuff for my woodworking hobby or my railroading hobby. So the LMS machine should do nicely. About CNC, I am not sure i'll go that route for at-least couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by rkovvur View Post
    Thanks Wizard. I sold my mini mill because i came across the LMS 3690 and had to buy it for its brushless belt drive system Nothing else. I liked my mini mill from harbor freight.
    Yea the more i see it, looks like the LMS machine is better. I usually work with plastics and some aluminum.
    You will likely prefer a machine with a faster spindle then.
    Mostly to mill stuff for my woodworking hobby or my railroading hobby. So the LMS machine should do nicely. About CNC, I am not sure i'll go that route for at-least couple of years.
    It sounds like you would be better off with a router type machine if you do decide to go CNC. Your new mill could help you build such a machine if you decide to go that way.