All:

I am in the market for a new mini mill. I almost pulled the trigger on the LMS 3960 mill. But yesterday as i was browsing Grizzly's website, I came across the G0758. This seems to be a newer watered down version of the G0704. Now I am torn !. Should I buy the LMS3960 or the G0758 ? Each have their strengths and weaknesses. The 3960's brushless belt drive and larger table (WRT regular mini-mill) seems good (I sold my harbor freight mini mill yesterday that had the belt drive mod. So I know how good the belt drive is). But what i like in the G0758 is the Z screw drive. It would be very easy to add a stepper motor in place of the hand crank. I also like the fact that the quill moves like a drill, independent of the Z axis. This quill also has a DRO.

Couple of downsides for me in the G0758 are:

1: The T-slot width is 3/8. Thats a bummer because i have the 7/16" T-slots left-over from my mini-mill. I'll have to end up buying the smaller t-slot clamping system.
2: If the quill can move like a drill, I am not sure of rigidity of the quill itself.
3: Geared brushed motor with max rpm at 2000
4: Total Z travel is 1" less than the LMS3960 (8.25" versus 9.8")

Good things about the G0758

1: I think the gibs are tapered. They look just like the G0704.
2: Drill like quill.
3: Screw drive on Z axis.
4: At approx 250 lbs, it is heavy. So it might have better rigidity

I do worry that if the 3960's brushless system breaks down, it would cost a lot more to replace than a simple brushed system as in the G0758.

Regarding availability, looks like G0758 will only be available in May. The 3960 is available right now. However I am in no hurry to buy the mill now.

Considering all the above, I would love to hear the feedback of you wise folk on which machine you think would be better !

Thanks!