586,728 active members*
2,772 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Yeong Chin Machinery Industries YCM Good Bad thoughts please

Yeong Chin Machinery Industries YCM Good Bad thoughts please

I went to an open house at a local machine dealer and they had some machines I'd not seen yet. The one that I'm seriously considering is the YCM NXV1020A. It has a 12,000RPM IDD plus spindle standard, axis motors are direct drive, 30 position tool changer, axis travels are X=40" Y=20.5" Z=21" , all on on roller linear guides. x/y/z rapids are 1890/1890/1260ipm. cutting feedrates are .04 to 787ipm. max tool weight is 13.2lbs. 25hp spindle. control is the MXP-200FA by Fanuc. Machine base price is $90,000.00

I also had them quote the Renishaw OMP60 probe and 1000psi through spindle coolant to bring it to $112,000.00

I've not found much either way on these machines. I'd like an unbiased opinion from anyone who knows anything about them. How do the compare to more expensive machines such as Mori's or Makinos? Reliability etc. It looked great during the cutting demo they had running, I just don't want a brand new POS.

Thanks in advance

Bryan

No comparison to a Mori IMO. I do have a friend with one of those, a Fadal, and several Moris. He has gone through several spindles on his YCM. Machines not bad, but no where near REAL Mori (not the DMG Chinese Mori). You need to make sure that spindle has a refrigerated chiller and oil air mist spindle. If you get the chance to see a Mori in person, you would know your answer then and there, but a Dura Vertical 5100 is as low as I'd go on those, and with probe and 1000psi with conveyor your probably looking closer to 140k.

Sent from my G-Tab Quantum using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. I know a local aerospace machine shop that has two Mori's and two YCM's. All verticals of roughly the same size. and one Mazak that's a little larger than the others. They've replaced both spindles on the Mori's within 3 years of purchase and love the Ycm's because they are trouble free. The biggest gripe they have on the Mazak is when they have a problem, they can't seem to get anyone at Mazak to help them. I know it's sounds like I'm leaning towards the YCM but I just don't want to get stuck in this "Ford vs. Chevy", "they all have basically the same quality components in them", argument. Everyone has an opinion, I just don't know what mine is. I'm surprised that more people haven't commented. Thanks.

YCM is a fantastic machine. I describe them as being of Japanese quality, without the high price tag.

That nxv1020a is a sweet machine. I know a few shops that run those with Mori's, and they prefer the YCM over the mori.

If you strip all the sheet metal off the machines you'll see what I'm talking about. They YCM uses an oversized ballscrew. They design and produce their own castings. Biggest of all, when the seat the ballscrew in the x axis, they line bore the casting, then pre tension and mate it to the casting. The cheaper route that most manufacturers do(i.e. non Japanese) is they machine the surfaces, then bolt the ball screw to the casting. It is totally independent of the casting, not apart of it.

That's how they can achieve the accuracy and the nearly 2000 ipm rapids from a machine that costs the same as a Haas VF3ss with similar options. You can't go wrong with the YCM

Re: Yeong Chin Machinery Industries YCM Good Bad thoughts please

YCM builds a great machine for the price. Just be sure that the dealer in your area has good service. Not all dealers do, that can cause problems if you have to wait for a repair.