587,414 active members*
3,306 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

knuth machinery- any good?

Specificly, their automatic band saws. I'm looking at the 320B model saw for $7490. Most of our cut to length is around 1" to 5" in diameter round stock with a 1/8" to 1/4" wall thickness. The link to the saw on ebay is

http://cgi.ebay.com/Knuth-ABS-320-B-...QQcmdZViewItem

Right now we are farming out all our bandsaw cutting to the steel yard @ $50 an hour to cut. This is my first automatic saw purchase and $7500 is a decent chunk of change for our company so I don't want to buy junk. I talked with a rep at the company and he informed me that replacement parts and service is easy to obtain and the machine comes with a 1 year parts and labor warrenty. Our budjet is a machine under $8k. Volume is around 2000-3000 cuts per month. Thanks in advance for all help!

I bought a saw from KBC Tools almost eight years ago that I am very happy with. It is so similar to this saw, one is clearly a copy of the other, but who knows which. The saw KBC sells is made by Cosen, which is a major saw mfgr in Taiwan. The only real issue I have had is the gear box dripping some gear oil lately. I've never had to add hydraulic fluid or play with the electronics. I'll be they'd knock $1000 off if you showed them the Knuth offer. www.kbctools.com middle item on page 1035. This saw will cut a 10" wide plate of 1018 CRS using a 3-4 teeth Amada SVGLB blade with no chatter. Which blade you run is really important. As it gets dull, it will drift and cut a lot less straight than when new.

Dave