586,975 active members*
3,146 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Floppy Disk Drive Acramatic
Page 1 of 2 12

Floppy Disk Drive Acramatic

Hello,

At few weeks my machine works. The programs I made by hand. Right now I tray transfer program form A: drive and result not works.
    I remove old one it is SONY MPF 420-1 it is not existing on the market. If You have any experience how refurbished or compatibly FDD for our Acramatic.
    I know that typical PC dont work becouse standard setup is DS1 our machine need DS0 only FDD with removable solder pads.
    I found on web sites that it was a special FDD often use in ATARI and also Ensoniq.
    Please show Yours experenice.

Otherwise tommorow I tray connect via RS232. I need a transfer a drivers for network card 3COM III PCI (I dont find on WINNT system)

If your machine has PCI ports, could you get a USB adapter (PCI), then use a USB floppy drive?

Look for a floppy drive USB emulator. It pops right in to the floppy spot and emulates a disk drive, but allows memory sticks. Yours may be a old 740k single density, so you would need the same. Newer 1.44 may not work on that old of control.

I just checked a few of the floppies I still have laying around - same deal, the drive select are all soldered (not jumpered).

It's been a while granted, but weren't 720K drives still double density, but single sided? I used to repair Atari ST's (etc etc from that era!) and seem to recall I could use a double sided drive in a single sided system - it just ignored the other side.

Could be, can't remember the last time I saw a 720k in person. I do know you can put a piece of tape over the slot and format the 1.44 diskette at 720k. I've had to do that a couple times.

We have some old pick-and-palce machines with floppy drives that no longer work :-( I have successfully replaced their floppy drives with an adapter/emulator that uses USB flash drives instead of the floppy disk's magnetic media.... I works very well and now totally replaces that old unreliable floppy disk. I got them from ebay.

here is a link to the drives i bought
    SFR1M44 U FAT32 USB Floppy Drive Emulator for Industrial Control Equipment | eBay

hope this helps

hi all,

a 720k drive is double density double sided, 360k on each side. IBM pc drives were all jumpered to drive 1, to use it as drive 0 you put a twist in cable on d0 and d1. or just use ibm style cable end connector is usually drive 0. hope this helps. a 1.44 is HD or quad density double density double track density double sided. it can deal with 720k if your controller supports double step. (too many years since i worked with these.

ron

hi,

the sony drive appears to be 3 1/2 inch 1.44 drive, a 720 was early version? I would try ibm cable or do search on bing you will find numerous used and or remanufactured drives. sorry for my error. you can also find how to make cable on line.

ron

Hello,

Few seconds ago I order direct emulator as Rambooka atach a link. You are using this same emulator, please show the setup of jumpers. Thank You for all answers.

Attachment 192192
    Rambooka Could You please show a setup of jumpers

The finally solution how to change existing floppy drive to emulator.

1. Buy emulator SFR1M44U coast ca 20 $
    2. Remove old floppy drive and connect emulator
    3. Change a Jumper to MO setup
    4. On atached on CD disc software on external PC format pendrive to 1,44 Mb size.
    5. Insert a pendrive to floppy emulator

Solution works, tested by transfer progams in and out.

Thank You for help

ok..this sounds way cool! thinking once my hard drive issues are solved, I need one of these!

I hope people still look at this thread. A few weeks ago our floppy went out. I bought a goteck usb emulator, installed it into our burney 5 machine with the jumpers on "MO". When I try to load the program into the Burny, I get a disk read timeout error. I made sure to format the stick to 1.44 through the usb emulator and I double checked it on my computer and found it did it's job. Can someone please help me?

"I get a disk read timeout error."

Do you still have a jumper on S0 or S1? i am not familiar with the emulator, but one of these should be jumpered. if so you might try moving jumper from s0 to s1 ors1 to s0. this is your drive select line.

hope this helps.

ron

It is a very old machine using ribbon cables for connection

The jumpers are on the emulator.

J5---
    JA-set to generete READY signal on 34pin of floppy driver interface
    JC---
    JB---
    S0-Driver select 0=one of these must be set
    S1-Driver select 1=
    MO-Motor on

this link will get you a 3 page setup on the emulator ; http://elbit-zabrze.ngb.pl/media/att...DweRsWvUmr.pdf

ron

thank you all for responding. I know we have tried it on S1 and MO but not S0. I will try that one tomorrow and let you all know how it goes. Do I need to make a folder for the output file or can I just store it on the jump drive without a folder?

"can I just store it on the jump drive without a folder? "

I would try it without a folder.

ron

Quote Originally Posted by ronb View Post
    "can I just store it on the jump drive without a folder? "

I would try it without a folder.

ron
    Thanks Ron. We have tried it all kinds of different ways this morning. With the jumper on SO and S1 and it still is not working. Our shop tech is pulling out something on the board and testing that. We just keep getting the disk read time out error and that is the same error we were getting on our old floppy we pulled out. I told him to get a new ribbon cable while he is at it to try that. If anyone knows of anything else for us to try, let us know. Thanks!

There are too many possibilities. What model of drive was on the machine? Was it ibm format , if its a very old machine it may not be 1.44 . Yes cable is a good possibility. If you can read one of the diskettes on your computer it should give you format . good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12