586,659 active members*
3,651 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Starting a New Business need help!

We are in process of starting a manufacturing business but need your help finding work. It is a small cnc lathe/mill company looking for small production parts. Machine purchase could be based on the type of work piece. If interested in helping a company get on their feet then please email RFQ.:idea:

If only it were that easy. So does "Machine purchase could be based on the type of work piece" mean that you don't own the machine/s yet?

You are correct. We have an investor and were ready to look into purchasing.

how will you know how to quote a job if you don't even know what your machine is capable of? also what will your lead time be if you have no machine sitting on your floor? do you plan on buying new? most cncs are about an 8 week lead time right now. good used? hope it doesn't break down the second its on your floor? go get some machines first and learn how to use them, then go look for some work. btw begging for it on an internet forum won't bring people to you. you need to go knock on some doors, kiss some butts, and be willing to take the crap work for very little profit that no one else wants to do. good luck in starting up the hardest company type in the world.

Nicely put Runner 440 - 4SPD.

Once your investor see's your post he might reconsider investing in you...

I complete understand your point of view. Its easy to judge when you don't know all the facts The whole idea is to see what the market has to offer at the same time of machine purchase. I would hate to find out that i could have landed a job if i only have purchased the next size up machine. The whole idea is to get a feel of whats out there first then become aggressive with the quoting once the machines are functional. The second option if i land something that needs to happen before the shop is set up is to out source. I have many contacts that are willing to help with machining. I don't want to open those door yet until i have something firm in place. Thanks for the advice.

first off, let me get this out of the way: I am not trying to be rude. really I am not. But, judging from your first post, if it is not a troll, you are destined to fail.
    I can tell you what the market has to offer to someone in your position: nothing.

step one: decide what kind of work you want to do.
    step two: figure out where you are going to put your shop.
    step three: (and this is the big one) buy the machines.
    step four: tool up said machines (this can potentially cost 25-50% the amount you payed for the machines in the first place)
    step five: (wait for it........) start quoting work.

If you think that there is work just hanging of tree branches waiting to be plucked. (if its good work that's referred to as cherry picking) you are sadly mistaken.
    You will be doing no cherry picking.

Well put wheelieking. people who are on here looking for someone to make parts for them wants the parts now. Chances of landing a long term production job on a forum is slim to none. You need to build a reputation with costumers first. This is a small industry and if you make the little guys happy first, the big guys will come to you. If you plan on buying the machines all at once banking on a specific job to run what are you going to do when they find someone cheaper? Companies offering production jobs are always looking for a cheaper route. If someone else offers $.01 per part cheaper on a 10,000 piece order..... well what would you do? This is a very tough industry and you are going to have to wade through a lot of crap for a long time before you get to eat the steak.

Good Luck to ya.

there will always be a job thats too big or too small for the machine you should have or could have bought. and if you just have one of everything you will have alot of nothing. companies that are successful specialize. that doesn't mean you have to have some proprietary manufacturing process that means you need to be an expert at what you have to work with. there are companies that speicialize in just machining aluminum. there are companies that machine really big things. there are companies that only do outsource work, etc hopefully you get what i'm trying to say here. either way you need to get some machines and then find the work that fits those machines. local area work is great but not critical in todays world.

Looking to get work done, as much as I like to help the small startup, I just can't afford to try to get a batch of widgets made, that are off tolerance, off budget, and delivered behind schedule.

It is a hard long road, developing a customer base, and providing to their every need.

Where does the gcode come from? Many expect you to be able to do that end of the job.
    They have a drawing or model and just want parts in a timely manner, at a particular quality level, at the best price. Choose any two.

Odol Core - Have you actually worked in the industry? If they know you are good, they would be asking when you are ready to produce.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by Runner4404spd View Post
    companies that are successful specialize. that doesn't mean you have to have some proprietary manufacturing process that means you need to be an expert at what you have to work with.
    Very True! Just a few short months ago I was buying my first machine to open my own shop finally. I had a Fadal "all but bought". Then at the last second had a reality check. I realized that I needed to hit the ground running! Which meant I didn't have weeks/months to spend learning a new control, let alone the post-processor. I had a bunch of Okuma OSP experience, but could not afford an Okuma. I have tons of HAAS experience. The smartest move I made during the start-up process was buying a HAAS. Not because its a great machine (lets not go there, here). But, because the day the truck showed up, I was making parts with G-code generated by a post-processor I have been using for years. Same with software. I am lightening fast with a certain brand. I stuck with it. And it seems to be paying off. I have a few happy return customers already in just three short months. Simply because of how fast I was able to react, and deliver exactly what I said I would, when I said I would. I would have not been able to do that with strange equipment/software.

So, to the OP, again: if your post was not a troll, your strategy is ALL wrong.

I appreciate all the advice. It's hard for me to explain all the details but I will share a few things so that there is a better understanding of where I'm coming from. I've been working with a company that specializes in milling and turning for the past 15 years in which I manage the shop floor (40 plus employees) and helped bring the business to where it is today. If there is any question of my knowledge of machining I am 100% sure that I know what to do and if there is something that I'm not sure of, I am capable of learning. (May sound cocky to some of you) I am happy where I am in my life and make a great salary. I have been approached by an old friend with money and have been asked to open a business on the side. If it takes off I may want to continue full time. The hardest thing to overcome is the current job security that I could lose because I'm chasing an unrealistic dream. This is why I'm looking for work before I commit to buying machines. If I find potential work I would have less fear of going for it. Please keep the comments coming, it gives me different views on the whole idea. Sure beats talking to my wife about it., thanks again.

I'll tell you how I got into cnc machining. I developed a product and a name first. Just used regular woodworking and a few metal shop tools initially. Word of mouth started generating orders faster than I could make them almost immediately.
    That is when I found the zone in 04.
    I have redesigned the product several times now to make it better and to make it easier to machine on cnc machines. I built a router, mill and a lathe and most recently finished my plasma cutter.
    I don't have time to build machines any longer and just ordered a Torus from Novakon. Just to have a second one on hand so production doesn't stop when the other goes down for repair. I can't tell you how many outside jobs I have had to turn down simply because I didn't want to slow production any further than what it is. I have several months worth of orders on the books and it has been that way since I started this full time on 06.

Specialize or visualize an area that you think you might want to get into. Look at what the going rates are on the market for similar parts. Do the math and see if you can compete or improve a product. Careful of patent infringement. 11 years ago I never would have thought I would be in business for myself and have full time employees. I feel extremely fortunate that it did. I have seen lots of shops close because they go too deep into red on startup and then cannot keep up with payments. Not an issue as much for you as your investor may give you more time than a bank would, but still should be considered.
    I do wish you all the best of luck and hope it does work out for you. Nobody starts a company without any risk.
    Lee

Easiest way to get in business is to buy one.
    You will be paying for someone elses hard work but you get the benefit of having customers and products all lined up ready to go.
    Your accountant can verify the books and show you the annual profit based on their history and projections.

Customers can be very tough to get. The factory beside me didn't buy a thing from me for at least 10 years. Then they got some new engineers who didn't just go to their favourite supplier and we have been getting work ever since. Customers go away in the same fashion as well. You have been running a shop for 15 years, you know what I'm saying.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

I started my own business in 2002. I was in a very safe and comfortable job as the Vice President of Engineering of an Aerospace Company. I set my wife up to own and run the business during its infancy. I worked after hours and weekends for about 6 months, before I got enough work to leave my regular job and start a business. I love owning my own business and never want to go back to working in the corporate world or for anybody else again. Based upon your experience as a shop floor supervisor, you may struggle with marketing and sales a bit. I know a lot of other people that successfully started their own businesses and if you have the drive and background you will be successful. A friend that owns a machine shop started by quoting low on MFG.COM and developing customers. He went from a small two person machine shop to about 15 people today. Avoid loans if you can. Partnerships can turn friends into enemies really fast. There are support groups, like SCORE, that will help you navigate the start-up process. You should plan to be self financed for the first 2 years, as banks generally don't loan money to businesses that don't have a two year track record. Good Luck.