586,717 active members*
3,163 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Larger xy table for my X2, need some ideas
Page 2 of 3 123
    Heck yea, those extrudes are expensive. I meant square plain aluminum tubing.
    A three foot section of 2x2x0.25 square tubing is around $40 brand new at McMaster. I am sure you can find some cheaper on ebay.

For some reason, it is cheaper for me to purchase a solid piece of aluminum rather than the angle or tubing. The solid 1"x8"x36" piece was cheaper at $2 per lb as the 3"x3" was sold in length.

I don't care for aluminum extrusions, maybe a table to hold things up but I have a welder that can make a table, also because of the fact I cannot cut them perfectly 90 degrees as I don't have the tools capable of doing that. They are a bit restrictive of where to tap and drill holes. IMHO, I don't like seeing supported rails mounted in two pieces of extrusions, they should be mounted on the same solid plate. It will be troublesome to keep them aligned in an event of a head/tool crash.

I think a perfect machine would be built from a solid piece of aluminum/steel OR all parts are machined and keyed together. Two things I cannot do in my shop.

My other option was to weld up a structure and have a machinist face/ground the parts flat, it would be almost a solid cast piece but I don't know a machine shop that can do that.
    www.VicRC.com

Its a lot of fun when your little machine is helping you make a bigger machine. :banana:

Here is a stepper mount I made using my X2, I was unable to cut the outside profile of the block because of its size but was able to profile cut and drill what was needed for the mount. The entire process was done through Mach3 and easily duplicated as I will need 3 of these.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails m_IMG_2981.jpg   m_IMG_2982.jpg   m_IMG_2984.jpg   m_IMG_2986.jpg  

www.VicRC.com

Heck yea, those extrudes are expensive. I meant square plain aluminum tubing.
    A three foot section of 2x2x0.25 square tubing is around $40 brand new at McMaster. I am sure you can find some cheaper on ebay.

I actually just picked up some more aluminum, when I get my machine ready I will make a hold down plate from a 1/2" tool plate 11"x20", similar to what 5bears' website, he has a good design and I kind of followed the design as well as many others here. Locally I get the tool plates at $2.90lb and rems pieces at $2.00lb. If I had access to a larger mill, I would have minimized the parts count on my build with larger blocks of aluminum. A 2"x10" base and column, supported with 1" side plates. When my machine is done I can probably do that, however I will see how the machine performs.

The end mounts for my leadscrew blocks BK12/BF12 will be tight (1" space clearance) and will have to mill down the area where they will eventually sit. I did not want to add riser blocks just to fit leadscrew blocks between beds because I think minimizing the parts will produce a better design.
    www.VicRC.com

A few days ago, during the design of the X-servo mount plate I had a dilemma in regards to the X table platform end was not cut at 90 degree, there is no way for me to chuck that large a part on my X2 table. I purchased the aluminum plate as is from a metal supply place as I typically never have them cut because of the charges involved. Maybe next time will bring my square with me as I often bring my tape measure anyways.

So, I searched this site and some suggest using a hand router to mill aluminum with a speed controller. Well I have a nice Porter Cable router and a speed controller that I was using for a foam cutting machine. However I did not have any 1/2" or 1/4" end mills , but I insisted I try it with a wood router bit. You know what it worked!! little by little of course at less than half the router speed. It looked great too and I bet it would look even nicer using a metal mill bit and a nice sliding platform for the router. This also solved my other dilemma of recessing the ballscrew blocks that I will evenly mount on my build. :cheers:

So you really don't need a CNC machine to build a larger machine, you may already have the tools that may help you build one, of course you will need to make sure your good with tolerances and check often.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails m_IMG_2991.jpg   m_IMG_2989.jpg  
    www.VicRC.com

Well this brings up my own questions in using a router motor and I have searched this site without good results. Can I use a router to power my X2 spindle using something like a Superpid? Routers are inexpensive and I don't expect them to be spindle replacement but operate them on a timing belt to reduce speed form 27k to 6k when powering a spindle head anyone using this kind of setup for metal milling.

I have treadmill motor coming and KBWM controller that I am hoping to use it to power my X2 head with an R8 spindle. I must have R8 because I am using a TTS tooling. However I will be limited in spindle speed and want to cut other materials besides metal. Is there a spindle head that can handle 15k rpm without going to a VFD spindle motor type?
    www.VicRC.com

I have used a circular saw to cut 1" thick aluminum slabs. Glad to hear it worked out

Nateman, did you use a special blade for it? I have a heavy duty skill saw and was thinking I could have used it. I was afraid it would not be as smooth.
    www.VicRC.com

Well Chai shipped me the ballscrews and I will be getting them next Monday. I also ordered a new X2 R8 spindle head assembly from LMS that I can use the treadmill motor and KBWM controller. The controller has a reverse so I don't know if that is even possible with a treadmill motor.

I was thinking of using Automation Technology's 3axis SERVO kit instead of the steppers that I already have from the X2 with 380oz servos. If I have the funds to try servos instead of the steppers do you think its worth it just to have close loop system?
    Will servos be more accurate and provide faster travel? Sometimes I just cut 1/8th plywood and would like to have a fast travel speeds with an attached router.

I was thinking of getting this kit

High-Torque Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor, Driver, Stepper Motor kit, DC Servo Motor, DC Servo Motor kit, Stepper Motor Power Supply, CNC Router, Spindle, and other Components. Automation Technology Inc

With this kit and ballscrews from Chai do you think I will need to use belt drive ratio of 2-1 or 3-1?

Sorry for all these questions, I am fairly new and i tried searching for information and it seems that everyone seems to be using stepper motors instead.

Vic
    www.VicRC.com

A well-designed X2 with steppers can easily do very fast rapids - mine does 270 IPM on X/Y and 120 IPM on Z. So, servos on a machine this size are a complete waste of money. You'll gain neither speed nor accuracy.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Thanks Ray, I will give it a try then, nothing to lose as I already have the system working on my X2. I will definitely have to counterbalance the head as it will be nearly double the weight of the X2 head. This machine I am working is already twice the weight of the X2 and its travels is nearly triple.
    www.VicRC.com

Quote Originally Posted by vcatalasan View Post
    A few days ago, during the design of the X-servo mount plate I had a dilemma in regards to the X table platform end was not cut at 90 degree, there is no way for me to chuck that large a part on my X2 table. I purchased the aluminum plate as is from a metal supply place as I typically never have them cut because of the charges involved. Maybe next time will bring my square with me as I often bring my tape measure anyways.
    You'd be surprised. When I built my monster gantry CNC (4' x 3' all aluminum), I used my X2 for everything. What I did was installed a hook in the ceiling of the garage and used a come-along to support the free end of the work. Then I made sure it was level and clamped the other end to the table. Aside from being in the way a little, it worked like a charm.

My machine is not bolted down so I would be afraid of mounting a long heavy part on it.

Anyways on with my build as I just received the ballscrews from Chai. I am using 1605 series for X -Y and 2005 series for the Z axis.

Also received a new X2 head assembly from LMS. Only waiting for the treadmill motor and KBMM controller
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3019_1296x968.jpg  
    www.VicRC.com

Well time to put them leadscrew on and support for the stepper motors.

Here is the X axis, then the Z axis and finally the Y axis. Hope to mount the motor and find out how to connect the KBMD controller for the treadmill motor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails m_IMG_3022.jpg   m_IMG_3024.jpg   m_IMG_3026.jpg  
    www.VicRC.com

Well got the head mounted with an extend reach. Looks like a micro head for such a big machine, but it should do for now. I also go the KBMM controller hooked up to the motor and it seems to be working. Next up would be mounting my limit switches and the steppers and be ready to move it around for testing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails m_IMG_3029.jpg  
    www.VicRC.com

I managed to get my machine running but I still need to put in some swarf guard to protect the leadscrew and ways. I only managed to drill some holes for my tooling plate. I ran the motor and it seems to be running good but noticed the motor is not all that powerful as my X2 motor. I will have to see if it is the 1hp motor or the kbmm settings. I got on ebay and ordered a 2 hp treamill motor. Second time around could be better.

So my travel on the machine as it turns out with end switches on both ends of each axis is x=19.5 y=9.75 z=17.5 Woot! I am happy with this size envelope.

There is one problem which I don't like, the beam style couplers on the axis. These are the aluminum 1" round ones and when the machine is on I can grab twist the leadscrew and get around 5-10 degree. My other machine uses a lovejoy couplers and I dont see it move that much. Looks like I will have to order some lovejoy or oldham style couplers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails m_IMG_3032.jpg  
    www.VicRC.com

Worked on my tooling plate. Did not have it programmed so I used the MDI command to locate and drill the holes. Almost there just a few more holes and then start tapping 3/8-16.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails m_IMG_3033.jpg   m_IMG_3034.jpg  
    www.VicRC.com

I did my first test run on a MDF board, 65ipm,.2doc, .375 endmill. Feedrate could go be faster but I think the spindle speed was not up to task. I really need to get some kind of tach display on this thing. I covered the ways temporarily with scrap canvas, still looking for ideas on how to make permanent covers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails m_IMG_3036.jpg  
    www.VicRC.com

Well at least I know it can cut wood. :cheers: Here is a short video of it using one of the wizzard of Mach3

I am a noob so how do I embed a video here? Below is just a link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKrNQL_Isyo
    www.VicRC.com

Page 2 of 3 123