I had the good luck of finding a waterjet pump for less than the price of a Hypertherm. I am planing to build a water table and Gantry system to go with it. I havent been able to find any other build logs so I hoping that those who own or have access to a machine can help me with some design questions. This is my plan so far. I'm open to any constructive criticism.
1. Use a hanging whip of sufficient length from the pump to the head as to not require any expensive swivels
2. Build a water table using 1/4" 3" x 6" beams and 1/8" plate
3. Rack and pinion x and y axis. leadscrew z axis
4. Diy bellows using a combination of thin stiff plastic in trapezoidal shapes glued to flexible rubber like sheet.
5. Gantry type

a. Short y bridge completely wrapped in a bellow. Long x rails mounted to the water table on front and back with synchronized stepper motion and [ shaped bellows.

Advantages: more rigid, less sensitive to slop in manufacturing, less steel, lots of examples.
Disadvantages: [ shaped bellows more complicated, less reliable.

b. Long unsupported x along the back of the table, completely wrapped in a bellow. Short cantilevered Y attached to X also completely wrapped in a bellow.

Advantages: Completely sealed, no motion components in the front to be damaged, easier bellow design, single x drive.
Disadvantages: Requires much heavier members to prevent flex and vibration. more sensitive to build inaccuracy.

6. Water table depth. I assume it has to be deeper than a plasma table to prevent damaging the bottom. Any suggestions?

7. Non flat bottom could facilitate abrasive collection. Suggestions?

8. Sealed ballast tank for controlling water level with air pressure. Is there an easier way?

9. Small abrasive feed mounted to the Y.

10. I have already purchased rack and pinion components, stepper drivers, and Hiwin linear rail.

11. I have the idea of gluing aluminum blocs to my steal beams and then milling and drilling them on a cnc router table to avoid distorting the CRS by removing material or welding. Is this really necessary?

Thanks, Ben
:banana: