587,131 active members*
3,139 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 7 123

PrecisionPlasma/CandCNC 5X10 table build

Hello to all,

First off, a little about me. My name is Brad and I live in Southern Ontario, Canada. I make my living as an automotive and heavy commercial truck mechanic/shop foreman and have no background in CNC. I'm competent in fabrication and working with steel and have most of the tooling that one guy could wish for including hand/air tools, compressor, welders- mig, tig, ac/dc stick, drill presses, small mill, small lathe, bench grinder, surface grinder, belt grinder, heat treating oven, and of course a plasma cutter (ya, I'm a bit of a tool whore). My back isn't what it used to be, so as you will see, I have and will be taking a few shortcuts in this build.

I decided to go with Precision Plasma gantry kit and electronics from CandCNC to cut down on build time, trial and error, and strain on my back. I also have no desire to be a table manufacturer and I'm a firm believer in doing it once and doing it right usually saves alot of grief and aggravation in the end. After doing alot of research on the the internet, I found these 2 companies very appealing because they put out some great looking, high quality products and they stand behind their stuff. Product support was a major factor in considering these guys as well. In all the research I've done, Ive never found one bad comment about either company and a few outstanding examples of great customer service. I have read numerous threads on here where guys bought stuff on fleabay and had no support whatsoever and I didnt want to end up in that boat.

I have started gathering all the componts to build a PrecisionPlasmaLLC 5X10 HDL plasma table and will be documenting my build here on CNCzone. The products I decided to go with are:

-CandCNC Bladerunner AIO 620-5 with DTHC
    -CandCNC artisan software package (mach, sheetcam,DXFtools std.)
    -PrecisionPlasmaLLC HDL complete gantry kit including touch-n-go Z axis,
    Stainless cable tray, E-chain, and rotary chuck for tube slicing.
    -CorelDraw graphics suit X5
    -Draftsight free Cad program

Input, ideas, and criticism is always welcome as long as its constructive. Everyone likes pics, so here are a few to start us off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0650.JPG   IMG_0651.JPG   IMG_0652.JPG   IMG_0653.JPG  

Looks like you are well on your way with plenty of goodies. Is the black part behind the rack on the gantry just painted or is it two parts? NEMA 23 motors? What do you have in mind for the table/base?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by cheetahcnc View Post
    Looks like you are well on your way with plenty of goodies. Is the black part behind the rack on the gantry just painted or is it two parts? NEMA 23 motors? What do you have in mind for the table/base?

Jim
    Thanks for the reply Jim.
    The black part behind the rack is a separate steel bar. The bar is bolted to the aluminum extrusion and the rack is bonded to the bar with VHB (very high bond) tape. The motors are NEMA 23-620 oz. I'm planning on building a water table out of box or rectangular tube and have the level controlled by an air bladder. Ron at PrecisionPlasma was kind enough to take on making the blueprint for the table for me. Once he has that done I will place a steel order and get at it.

Brad

Hi Brad
    I'm new to here and have been watching plasmaspider as well. I too am planning an identical build. I have contacted Ron and Tom also and I am planning my build. Ron has a pretty simple table design that I'm going to use and add in a water table. I also like the tube slicer option. I'd like to add an air scribe, maybe he'll offer a kit in the future. I'm not quite as far along as you, I'm still putting together a material list and gathering ideas. So far I've picked up a laptop and downloaded draftsight and inkscape. Where did you end up purchasing CorelDraw X5? I'd like to start learning it. I've seen numerous listings on ebay, but they are hard to trust when the asking prices vary so much from the list price of $499.

I can't wait to see how your build comes along. I'll be watching it very closely.
    Best of luck to you.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by iou View Post
    Hi Brad
    I'm new to here and have been watching plasmaspider as well. I too am planning an identical build. I have contacted Ron and Tom also and I am planning my build. Ron has a pretty simple table design that I'm going to use and add in a water table. I also like the tube slicer option. I'd like to add an air scribe, maybe he'll offer a kit in the future. I'm not quite as far along as you, I'm still putting together a material list and gathering ideas. So far I've picked up a laptop and downloaded draftsight and inkscape. Where did you end up purchasing CorelDraw X5? I'd like to start learning it. I've seen numerous listings on ebay, but they are hard to trust when the asking prices vary so much from the list price of $499.

I can't wait to see how your build comes along. I'll be watching it very closely.
    Best of luck to you.
    Ian
    Hi Ian,
    Ron and I are working out a few details on the water table design right now. Hopefully soon we will have a table design you will be able to utilize for your table as well if you would like. I purchased Corel directly from Corel. I too was scared of the fleabay purchases and alot of them look to me like they are blackmarket copies. Corel isnt absolutely necessary, I believe you can do pretty much the same things in inkscape. I know Switcher on this forum uses it and I think he actually prefers it to Corel. Depending on your budget, you could get the table built and start cutting with Inkscape, then get Corel later if you find you want it.

You mention that you bought a laptop, hopefully you have or plan on getting an older desktop for table control. Tom suggested to me that the table should be run off a dedicated desktop with only XP and mach installed. Even an old junker PC is fine, it doesnt have to be the lastest and greatest to run the table. I would like to add a scriber too but I'm already going to blow the budget as is, so the scriber will have to wait until the table is making some money.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Teknition View Post
    You mention that you bought a laptop, hopefully you have or plan on getting an older desktop for table control. Tom suggested to me that the table should be run off a dedicated desktop with only XP and mach installed. Even an old junker PC is fine, it doesnt have to be the lastest and greatest to run the table. I would like to add a scriber too but I'm already going to blow the budget as is, so the scriber will have to wait until the table is making some money.

Brad
    Yeah, he suggested the same thing to me. The laptop is strictly for drawing, internet and anything else before the cnc. I'm in the same boat as far as not wanting to spend an arm and a leg on the project. But at the same time do it right the first time with quality components. I'd like to see what your table design will look like. I was using Ron's HDL5x10 basic design (the one with the welded frame) and modify the bed to hold water.

Quote Originally Posted by iou View Post
    Yeah, he suggested the same thing to me. The laptop is strictly for drawing, internet and anything else before the cnc. I'm in the same boat as far as not wanting to spend an arm and a leg on the project. But at the same time do it right the first time with quality components. I'd like to see what your table design will look like. I was using Ron's HDL5x10 basic design (the one with the welded frame) and modify the bed to hold water.
    This is the concept drawing I shared with Ron last night. I can only get 6' wide sheets of steel and would really like to cut down on the number of welds on the water table design so we are trying to constrain the botton pan to utilizing a 6' wide sheet and eliminating welds down the 10' sides. This will probably be very close to the final design. Im waiting for a reply from Ron to see if we can angle the top 2-3/4" of the pan outward 45 degrees and still have enough water volume in the bladder to raise the water level to the top edge of the slats. Using this design, the only long welds would be on the two 5' ends of the pan and bladder. The rest of the welds required to hold the tabs and gusset plates would all be tack welds. The bladder tank would have enclosed folded ends that are welded in the corners only and pretty much look like an upside down box with a few creases down the centre.

Brad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails water table design jpeg.jpg  

Time for an update. For the past 3 or 4 days, Ron and I have been emailing ideas back and forth to establish a final concept for the table. Ron has gone above and beyond all expectations by putting our ideas into blueprints and modifying them as we progress thru numerous emails back and forth. We have now finalized the drawings. Ron also performed all the work to put our final drawings into DXF files and supplied them to the machine shop of my choice so I can get the parts cut and bent.

These pics are pretty close to the final design except for an extra gusset plate running down the centre of the air bladder tank and instead of angle iron slat holders, there will be 3 pieces of plate cnc cut and bent to support the slats. Ron designed the bladder so it is removalble if necessary for cleaning out the lower tray and incorporated lifting lugs as the bladder tank will weigh out around 350 lbs. Hopefully in the next few days I will have all the parts cut out and be ready to start welding soon. I think Ron did a great job and I really can't thank him enough for taking the time and effort to do all of this.

Lets hear what you guys think.

Brad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ABTWA.jpg   ABWTI.jpg   ABWTO.jpg  

Any updates on your build?

looks like a good start

Im still working on getting the water tray parts cut and bent. I could only find one shop in town that could do the job and they quoted me 4100.00 just to cut and bend the parts. That seemed a little too greedy to me seeing as there is only 936.00 worth of steel (my cost, I'm sure their cost is less) required to do the job and they were supplied the DXF files.

Tonight I was out in the garage cleaning up a bit and decided to put the gantry together. Things were progressing very well and I have the gantry almost assembled but then realized I hadnt taken any pictures (chair). Taking pictures and doing a detailed build thread were part of the deal Ron and I made for the free rotary chuck and I'm not the type to reneg on a deal, so tomorrow night it will be coming back apart and then be reassembled with pics each step of the way. I must say, I'm still very impressed with the quality and fit of Ron's gantry kit. The only issue I have ran across so far is having to drill the mounting holes out slightly in the motor flanges. Ron's kit is all standard bolt sizing and the motors are metric, so they just needed to be opened up slightly. Would have been nice if the holes in the motors came the right size but it wasnt a big deal to drill them.

Brad

Brad, have you looked at my table build? http://www.cnczone.com/forums/precis...ladrunner.html

We are putting together the same package, and I'm interested in how you are doing it too.

I studied the design you and Ron came up with for the tray/bladder, and modified it slightly. I just couldn't seem to come up with the dimensions I wanted with a 6' wide sheet, so I had it formed in two pieces with 1 weld seam down the middle.

I checked out your build thread last night. You are doing great, way ahead of where I'm at. The dimensions on my table cut it pretty close but it is still possible to put full 5x10 sheets on with a little bit of room around the sheet. 1/2 or 3/4 inch if I recall correctly. I may end up going with a 2 piece design as well.

Brad

Tonight I pulled the gantry back apart and took all the pics of it going back together.
    1) Here it is before disassembling again.
    2) disassembled.
    3) rail profile.
    4) loosen 12 bolts on side "A" (straight end).
    5) flip X axis rail upside down so you can see bolt tabs when assembling.
    6) guide bolt tabs into rail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1-before disassembly.JPG   2-disassembled again.JPG   3-rail profile.JPG   4-loosen 12 bolts in side A.JPG  

5-flip rail upside down.JPG   6-guide bolt tabs into rail.JPG  

7) butt end rail up tight to X rail.
    8) tighten 4 bolts at "A" sticker then tighten 8 side bolts.
    9) loosen X axis guide rail bolts.
    10) clamp flat block to top of X rail and clamp X guide rail to block to level it.
    11) clamp other end of guide rail and snug both end rail bolts. repostion clamps inward 1-1/2 feet and then tighten the rest of the guide rail bolts.
    12)slide X axis carriage onto guide rail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7-butt endrail up.JPG   8-tighten 4 bolts at A.JPG   9-loosen x axis bolts.JPG   10-clamp block to level rail.JPG  

11-clamp other end too.JPG   12-slide x axis carriage on guide rail.JPG  

13) a little interference between bolt head and gear reducer mounting plate (sent enquiry to Ron about it, im sure its just an adjustment im missing.)
    14) pinion meshed at proper height.
    15) slide cable guide onto stainless cable tray.
    16) secure in place with provided bolts.
    17) cable guide aligned with tray.
    18) loosen 6 bolts off for dropped side "B".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 13-a little interference.JPG   14-pinion meshed at proper height.JPG   15-slide cable guide onto stainless tray.JPG   16-secure in place with provided , marked bolts.JPG  

17-cable guide aligned with tray.JPG   18-loosen off 6 bolts for dropped side B.JPG  

19) guide "B" side bolt tabs into rail.
    20) clamp bolck to align B assembly rail to X rail and tighten the 6 bolts.
    21) install decorative end cap with supplied push pins.
    22) gear reduction unit as delivered.
    23) remove 4 large allen head bolts and remove cover plate.
    24) drill out motor mounting holes in motor flange to #8 or .199 drill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 19-guide B side bolt tabs into rail.JPG   20-clamp block to align B assembly to rail and tighten the 6 bolts.JPG   21-install decorative end cap with provided push pins.JPG   22-gear reduction unit as delivered.JPG  

23-remove 4 large allen head bolts and remove cover plate.JPG   24-drill out motor mount holes to #8 or .199 drill.JPG  

25) end plate, bearing, pinion gear, and belt removed from reduction unit.
    26) pinion gear and motor installed on cover plate.
    27) install belt on pinion gear then guide belt over large gear while reinstalling cover plate.
    28) apply slight tension to belt and tighten motor mount bolts. rotate rack pinion gear while watching motor end shaft to ensure belt is engaged properly in both gears.
    29) final assembly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 25-end plate, bearing, and pinion gear removed from reduction unit.JPG   26- pinion gear and motor installed on end plate.JPG   27-install belt on pinion gear then guide belt over large gear while installing end plate.JPG   28-apply slight tension to belt and tighten motor mounting bolts..JPG  

29-final assembly.JPG  

Sharp

Hello Teknition.

Thank you for compiling a very thorough and concise group of pictures of your build! I'll have to say that Precision Plasma (PP) has a nice gantry.

Is the PP gantry capable of using the PlazPak kit that Tom Caudle sells also or is it Blade Runner specific?

I'll be watching!

Tom

Hi Tom,

Your very welcome! Im happy to contribute so others that are sitting on the fence may decide to jump into the CNC plasma pool. Putting the gantry kit together was actually very easy to do. Ron has eveything labeled very well and it is straight forward as you can see.

I do believe that Ron offers the HD series gantry kits in either 23 or 34 series motor mount configurations, so my guess would be that Tom's Plaz-pak will work. Hopefully Ron will jump in here and give you the details.

On a side note, I talked to Ron and the interference problem in pic #13 was caused by Ron substituting the bolts pictured for the button head bolts he spec'd from the start, wanting to make all the bolts uniform for appearance sake. Although there is adjustment in the guide rail, with the sockets I have I cant get quite enough. He is shipping out the button head bolts to me today to solve that problem.

Brad

Page 1 of 7 123