Quote Originally Posted by double a-ron View Post
This has been almost beat to death, but one more time couldn't hurt. PLR electronics makes the one that I have been using for over a year. It's $275. I know that seems high, but there is NO FORMATTING. NO SPECIAL USB STICK. NO FILE PARTITIONS. It works exactly the same as your floppy drive except it's a USB stick. File size limit is 1.44mb.

That one has some actual documentation with it, which is nice. According to the manual it does require that your flash drive is partitioned as FAT16 (as opposed to FAT32 or NTFS) and that it can be no larger than 4GB. I suspect you could repartition a larger flash drive so that the first partition is 4GB/FAT16 and then use whatever for the rest, and it would work fine.

My $50 cheapie one does have the capability for multiple "virtual disks" on a single flash drive, but only the first disk seems to be visible when you plug it into a normal PC, unless you use the supplied driver which didn't work for me. Not that it matters since one disk is fine with me.

To be honest though, I think for a Haas it makes more sense to punt the floppy and use the RS-232. That way you can not only transfer files, but also drip feed for programs larger than the system RAM.

C|