586,655 active members*
2,367 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > convert nurb spline to arc?

convert nurb spline to arc?

i have a solid model with an angled hole. i used create curve on one edge to extract the wireframe but it extracts a nurb spline instead of the curve i want. here is the file. had to change file extension to zip to up load. to open mastercam file change file extension to .mcx
    Attached Files Attached Files

Seems there is something wrong with your file...but have you tried "CONVERT NURBS" OR "SIMPLIFY"?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by WallyL7 View Post
    Seems there is something wrong with your file...but have you tried "CONVERT NURBS" OR "SIMPLIFY"?
    i tried simplify. it did not covet the nurb spline to an arc. i did not try convert to nurbs because the end of the hole is already nurbs and i want it to be an arc.

Well, like I said, I can't open your file. You may just have to create your WCS in the view of the angled hole and draw a circle. Pretty simple and quick.
    Tim

Well, like I said, I can't open your file. You may just have to create your WCS in the view of the angled hole and draw a circle. Pretty simple and quick.
    did you try to change the file extension and replace it with .mcx? i had to change the extension to upload the file. i just tried downloading the file and changing the extension and it opens with no problems

Ok - Not wanting to spend too much time on it I just didn't fiddle with trying to get it open. After changing the extension it did open.

But now I really have no clue what you are trying to do. You have an arc on the flat/perpendicular side to the hole...and obviously a spline where it breaks through a non-perpindicular wall.

I can't see what you are trying to do with this part. If you are drilling or milling it, then use the arc that is there.

Like I said before, you will at least have to create a plane (tool plane/work plane) for that view anyway, and then you can use the arc that is already there. Whatever arc you create on the "spline" side won't help much IMO.
    Tim

Let me know exactly what you are trying to do and I can see if I can get you going in the right direction.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Joesph Jackman View Post
    i have a solid model with an angled hole. i used create curve on one edge to extract the wireframe but it extracts a nurb spline instead of the curve i want. here is the file. had to change file extension to zip to up load. to open mastercam file change file extension to .mcx
    I am not at my PC to try looking at your file; but have you tried using Verisurf's hole axis utility. It is a free add-in for Mastercam which may do just what you are trying.

Here is a link to their site.

Verisurf Software Downloads

The Verisurf Hole axis tool is great for this. but for your part, I would go to the front arc and create a line from the end point and the mid point of the arc then I created line perpendicular to the line and was done.
    Remember a full circle in MC the polar angle of "0" is the end point and "180" is the Mid point.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

if you copy the spline to another layer (so you can keep the original), you can use the simplify tool to convert from nurbs to an arc. You might have to break that nurbs spline into multiple segments using the break two pieces tool and convert each segment into a separate arc.

I haven't looked at your file, but I hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by jamlab View Post
    I am not at my PC to try looking at your file; but have you tried using Verisurf's hole axis utility. It is a free add-in for Mastercam which may do just what you are trying.

Here is a link to their site.

Verisurf Software Downloads
    i do not see any download for the verisurf hole axis utility when i follow your link. what does the verisurf hole axis utility do?

Quote Originally Posted by mafitch7479 View Post
    if you copy the spline to another layer (so you can keep the original), you can use the simplify tool to convert from nurbs to an arc. You might have to break that nurbs spline into multiple segments using the break two pieces tool and convert each segment into a separate arc.

I haven't looked at your file, but I hope that helps.
    i will try this. i did not try breaking the spline into multiple segments before. maybe that is why i had no luck. thanks.

Let me know exactly what you are trying to do and I can see if I can get you going in the right direction.
    just want to see if i can convert a spline into a arc so i can pick up z values if in the future i need to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    The Verisurf Hole axis tool is great for this. but for your part, I would go to the front arc and create a line from the end point and the mid point of the arc then I created line perpendicular to the line and was done.
    good suggestion. thanks

i do not see any download for the verisurf hole axis utility when i follow your link. what does the verisurf hole axis utility do?
    Would also like to know what the Verisurf utility does!

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

This is the lazy way to get what you want.
    - create a surface from the wall of the hole ( in a different color, level )
    - untrim that surface
    - create a curve on the top and bottom of that cylinder

----- you now have 2 circles, at minimum and maximum extents of that hole. Easy to pick Top of stock of hole & the Depth when toolpathing
    - create line from top circle centre to bottom circle for the hole axis
    - you can use the circles to setup a plane for additional machining ( ie drill, interpolate, deburr etc )

This is what the Verisuf utility gives you ( or very similar )

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    This is the lazy way to get what you want.
    - create a surface from the wall of the hole ( in a different color, level )
    - untrim that surface
    - create a curve on the top and bottom of that cylinder

----- you now have 2 circles, at minimum and maximum extents of that hole. Easy to pick Top of stock of hole & the Depth when toolpathing
    - create line from top circle centre to bottom circle for the hole axis
    - you can use the circles to setup a plane for additional machining ( ie drill, interpolate, deburr etc )

This is what the Verisuf utility gives you ( or very similar )
    thank you for taking the time to explain. what you wrote is "super" helpful to me. i am sure this technique will be very useful in the future as well.

Again, thanks!!!