586,265 active members*
3,727 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > DynaTorch > Best place to mount gauges for oxy cutting?

Best place to mount gauges for oxy cutting?

I set up the oxy torches for the first time and liked the results, I need to do quite a bit of heavy cutting in the next few weeks and want to plan out where things go and have seen that some gauges are on the gantry? Is this because it is convenient to have them close to read frequently and are adjustments made often when cutting different plate sizes?
    Thinking of building a manifold with 2 oxy bottles or liquid possibly. I use propane for fuel.
    Any input from oxy users would be greatly appreciated,
    thanks in advance,
    Andy.

The closer the gauges are to the torch, the more accurate they read. Read your closest gauge to the torch to set psi's or flow. If you use flashback protectors, your pressures will need to be upped at least 10% sometimes as much as 25%

Check out this thread:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_pl...iscussion.html

There are some good references and ideas there.

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

Thanks WSS,
    you guys are dedicated to perfection, that thread took me a week and then some to read, just finished.
    i pulled the trigger on some files i had ready to cut using 1" hardox and i'm pleased with the results, just winged it but need to set up oxy system for regular use instead of using the shop cart. 30 secs PH, 1" lead, 15ipm I will post some pics soon.
    Andy.

Andy, glad you found it useful. you must of used acetylene to get 30sec PH with correct pressures. We used to do quite a bit of oxy, but is is maybe 20% of the cutting we do now. Propane is cheaper and less clean up if you do enough of it. The down side of propane is the miserably long PH (120-150 seconds on 1"), with the hi-lo system, we can hit 25sec cold and 15sec when the plate has warmed up a bit. You may find you need to have a different set of "tuning" figures for the slow speed, we eventually figured out that was needed. We would tighten it up for the slow speeds and set it back when doing 30ipm+. In the machine settings tab you can play around with it if you find some chatter in any direction. Usually, it would show up on X only moves. I am sure you know that grinding on 400 or 500 is for the birds! I did not mind chipping slag but The 9" grinder can stay on the shelf. LOL

Merry Christmas!
    Tommy
    www.metaltechus.com