Hi all. Let me just say that it’s an awesome forum and it inspired me to try and build my first CNC router.

At this point mechanics are built and I started experimenting with electronics. The issue I encountered that while trying to run motor in MDI mode with no load (motor not even connected to drive shaft yet) after turning normally for couple seconds all of the sudden it would stall and start stutter turning about 1 degree at a time. If I release the button on keyboard it would immediately turn normally and stop. The worst is happening if I try to move it via code (i.e. G0 Z10.0000). It immediately goes into stall/stutter mode and I have to manually reset it or risk burning the motor. In both cases axis distance counter in Mach3 displays movement as nothing happens (I understand it’s one way communication and it has no feedback from motor/driver on distance traveled. Just trying to be thorough). I tried it with all 3 motors and they all behave similarly. Also when it actually runs, the motors are very hot to touch, not sure if it’s related.

I’m pretty good with mechanical part of the machine but it’s microelectronics that always gives me headaches and that’s why I decided to start with small and cheap machine to learn on it. At this point I’m pretty stuck and hopeful that some of the pro’s here can show me the light

Here is what I have in electronics:

Power supply: Potrans FS-15024-1M 24V 6.5A
Motors: 57BYGH213 6.2V 1A http://www.mpja.com/download/57byghseries311.pdf
Controller: TB6560 3-Axis CNC 3 Axis TB6560 3.5A Stepping Motor Driver Controller | eBay
Computer: Old Celeron 633 512Mb RAM running Mach3 EVALUATION version

Motor is a 6-wire and is connected to the driver as follow (maybe it’s wrong but that how I read the diagram and it’s the only combination that worked for me):
ZA+ = Yellow
ZA- = Black
ZB+ = Green
ZB- = Red

White and Black wires are not connected to anything.

I followed the configuration instructions that came with controller and set all the flags in Mach3 according to them (Ports and Pins config, Motor output, etc). I run Driver test that came with Mach3 and it always shown “Excellent” status (this tells me not to blame old PC).

Sorry for the long post, I’ll try to keep it shorter as I gain more experience…