587,128 active members*
3,152 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Rebuild Hurco Power Supply w/ PC Power Supply VMX30

Hybrid View

Made some progress today. Seems the machine has a 2 part problem. Only related to a power failure that happened last week. Killed the power supply and also corrupted WinMax (Hurco software).

I did get the power supply to work so far. I will be posting photos. I used a PC power supply from Best Buy. I also found out that our Hurco does not use the -5 vdc or the PG signal wire.

I also used a Phoenix Contact 5 amp 24vdc power supply(info here http://rd.phoenixcon.com/products/in...3127_00_en.pdf ). I had this one in house rather than ordering a 10 amp and having to wait. Hopefully, the 5 amp will be enough.

Now onto the software issue...
    Jonathan M. DeLong
    www.JexMfg.com

Yes you're making progress. I've never used a winmax system myself. There's a procedure that can be used to reload the software - if you have the disks.

About the PG and -5V: most industrial pc's don't use the PG ("Power Good") signal as they've usually got a VCC sensor on board tied into a watchdog timer. The -5V is leftover from the really old days, and isn't used by anything on moden computers except perhaps the sound. It's still required to be on the ISA bus so it's still provided out of the power supply. It was used as the die bias on the 8080 CPU's. (Man, the 8085 was a huge improvement: single voltage, single clock, not that ridiculous 4-phase clock input the 8080 needed!)