587,006 active members*
3,248 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Vertical Mill, Lathe Project Log > Show how to build a CNC machine from the very beginning to the end
Page 167 of 184 67117157165166167168169177
Results 3,321 to 3,340 of 3662

Re: Show how to build a CNC machine from the very beginning to the end

Hi Jips........ I'll be needing something like your design, but not so grandiose, and I already have the mixing nozzle, now some form of regulated air supply is needed and a container to hold the juice.

My air compressor has a variable regulator for the output so I might do some tricks using the regulator part with an air supply from another source......it's got to be super silent as I hate a thump thump going on and off at intervals.

As far as I know.....without pulling the mixing nozzle apart.....the mixing nozzle I have works on the venturi principle and the air supply passing through it sucks the fluid up and atomises it to form the mist......very basic.....you can adjust the liquid to air ratio to give a mist or coarse droplets as required.

The low air pressure part interests me as that means a small pump can be used.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Hi Jips........ I'll be needing something like your design, but not so grandiose, and I already have the mixing nozzle, now some form of regulated air supply is needed and a container to hold the juice.
    So let me get this right...

You refuse to consider a pneumatic power drawbar, where you could probably change tools 20 times before your compressor cycles once.

But you are going to use an air-driven lubrication system, which will make your compressor cycle almost constantly?

all right.

Got it.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

You might be better off with a <$10 aquarium pump, almost no noise, and cheap. Adjust from droplets to stream, more than adequate for most work. Use a relay to turn it on/off via Mach3.

...Straw with a jet motor attached blowing through an air conditioner to properly cool the air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    So let me get this right...

You refuse to consider a pneumatic power drawbar, where you could probably change tools 20 times before your compressor cycles once.

But you are going to use an air-driven lubrication system, which will make your compressor cycle almost constantly?

all right.

Got it.
    shhh

I started reading this thread back in 2011 and it was interesting to see the evolution of these little machines. I keep popping back in hoping to see some up and running but all I seem to read is Handlewanker making every effort to complicate every single aspect of CNC machining rather than learning the process of making parts.

As a fellow Aussie I'd like to give some really simple advice and an example of how easy it is to get started. I've had a Tormach machine for about 8 years. It's brilliant and it made money from the first week I had it despite my initial lack of knowledge. I learnt a lot very quickly because I had to so I could make parts to pay the bills and the machine has produced 10 times it's initial price in my spare time over the years. This isn't an ad for Tormach machines, I've just sold mine and bought a full sized machining centre becaue the volume of work required it. I'd keep it as well if I could afford it but I can't justify having it as well at the moment.

Last weekend I went to a friends place who just bought a Tormach mill, he had no CNC experience at all. In 2 days he was making parts. I downloaded Autocad 2016 for him and showed him the basics, simple 2D drawing- lines, circles and arcs- about half a day. It's a free download and spits out a DXF file in minutes. I downloaded Sheetcam for him, it's under $200 and it what I use for most 2.5D CAM. It has a Mach 3 post and generates clean G-code. We set up some tools in it for diameter and speed and feeds (from an online calculator which was close enough).

By the end of the day he had a CAD package that works brilliantly, a capable CAM package with a post processor to suit the machine, a machine with tool lengths set and loaded in the tool changer. By the end of the second day he cut fairly complicated looking gripping surfaces and muzzle ports on two 1911 pistol slides- around $600 worth of work. This was within a week of the machine arriving in crates with no CAD, CAM or CNC experience at all. He'll only get quicker and better at all of that from this point onwards.

In the 8 years I had my machine I changed tools with a 13mm spanner on the drawbar, I didn't have time to stop making things to spend the time altering it. I set up flood coolant because it works and it's simple. I also learnt 3d modelling while the machine was running. I'm pretty competent with Solid Edge now and Mastercam though for most of what I make a 2D line drawing and Sheetcam is quicker, only minutes from concept to machining.

What I'm trying to say is that there's no need to reinvent the wheel, it's already been reinvented by much smarter people than most of us. There's no need to hand code, it's just a good way to crash your machine while you're trying to get it right and you'll still only have the capability of a basic point to point machine when you're done. It's good to know what it all means and maybe touch up the code your CAM spits out if you need to but even the most basic CAM will outperform the 500 lines of code you spent 2 days on and do it in 30 seconds from the drawing that took you 2 minutes to draw.

Having a CNC machine and not learning the tools to enable you to use it is like buying a racing car but deciding you don't need to learn how to drive. From other comments you've made it's like buying a racing car but setting up the steering so it turns left when you turn the steering wheel right because you think that makes more sense. It doesn't, it just appears that you don't want to learn. Learn how the machine is supposed to work and use it that way. You don't need to know how to program the kernel to use your iPad, the smart people already did that for you so you can just tap the screen and use it. A CNC machine is the same, someone has already made the software so you can use it easily, just learn it and make something.

Quote Originally Posted by proengines View Post
    I started reading this thread back in 2011 and it was interesting to see the evolution of these little machines. I keep popping back in hoping to see some up and running but all I seem to read is Handlewanker making every effort to complicate every single aspect of CNC machining rather than learning the process of making parts.

As a fellow Aussie I'd like to give some really simple advice and an example of how easy it is to get started. I've had a Tormach machine for about 8 years. It's brilliant and it made money from the first week I had it despite my initial lack of knowledge. I learnt a lot very quickly because I had to so I could make parts to pay the bills and the machine has produced 10 times it's initial price in my spare time over the years. This isn't an ad for Tormach machines, I've just sold mine and bought a full sized machining centre becaue the volume of work required it. I'd keep it as well if I could afford it but I can't justify having it as well at the moment.

Last weekend I went to a friends place who just bought a Tormach mill, he had no CNC experience at all. In 2 days he was making parts. I downloaded Autocad 2016 for him and showed him the basics, simple 2D drawing- lines, circles and arcs- about half a day. It's a free download and spits out a DXF file in minutes. I downloaded Sheetcam for him, it's under $200 and it what I use for most 2.5D CAM. It has a Mach 3 post and generates clean G-code. We set up some tools in it for diameter and speed and feeds (from an online calculator which was close enough).

By the end of the day he had a CAD package that works brilliantly, a capable CAM package with a post processor to suit the machine, a machine with tool lengths set and loaded in the tool changer. By the end of the second day he cut fairly complicated looking gripping surfaces and muzzle ports on two 1911 pistol slides- around $600 worth of work. This was within a week of the machine arriving in crates with no CAD, CAM or CNC experience at all. He'll only get quicker and better at all of that from this point onwards.

In the 8 years I had my machine I changed tools with a 13mm spanner on the drawbar, I didn't have time to stop making things to spend the time altering it. I set up flood coolant because it works and it's simple. I also learnt 3d modelling while the machine was running. I'm pretty competent with Solid Edge now and Mastercam though for most of what I make a 2D line drawing and Sheetcam is quicker, only minutes from concept to machining.

What I'm trying to say is that there's no need to reinvent the wheel, it's already been reinvented by much smarter people than most of us. There's no need to hand code, it's just a good way to crash your machine while you're trying to get it right and you'll still only have the capability of a basic point to point machine when you're done. It's good to know what it all means and maybe touch up the code your CAM spits out if you need to but even the most basic CAM will outperform the 500 lines of code you spent 2 days on and do it in 30 seconds from the drawing that took you 2 minutes to draw.

Having a CNC machine and not learning the tools to enable you to use it is like buying a racing car but deciding you don't need to learn how to drive. From other comments you've made it's like buying a racing car but setting up the steering so it turns left when you turn the steering wheel right because you think that makes more sense. It doesn't, it just appears that you don't want to learn. Learn how the machine is supposed to work and use it that way. You don't need to know how to program the kernel to use your iPad, the smart people already did that for you so you can just tap the screen and use it. A CNC machine is the same, someone has already made the software so you can use it easily, just learn it and make something.
    Hi proengines ! I had share my work with the mill and the first part done with it is the first making money , i work cad with solidworks and cam with solidcam but did my first part with svm0 with fusion360 cam as I'm progressively switch between
    Concerning Ian I think you can wrote thousand line he will do his way at end
    Congrats for your vmc upgrade ! What kind of work you started with can you share your "storry" it could be interesting for us and if uou have some business advice also , thanks

Envoyé de mon GT-N7100 en utilisant Tapatalk

Hello everybody,

Just uploaded my first video. Sorry for the not so good video quality, was all done from my phone but next video's will be better. GoPro just came in. Let me know what you think, video will later move to dedicated CNC channel and I will let you know when and where.

Video's will get better as I do it more, this is the first one I ever did.

So far I am happy with the machine and the results. Learning as we go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acn3NU0yMok

RR

Quote Originally Posted by proengines View Post

The thing is, handlewanker has no real need for a CNC. It was gotten got more than a curiosity. He likes to tinker and dream. Which is great for him, being retired. His machine is bit a source of income, rather more for entertainment. I think he somehow enjoys the attention he receives, whether negative or not. I'd have admired the stubbornness to yield had it been backed up by proof of concept. I'd have even enjoyed the conversation had it not been so one sided.

Quote Originally Posted by rappyrippe View Post
    Hello everybody,

Just uploaded my first video. Sorry for the not so good video quality, was all done from my phone but next video's will be better. GoPro just came in. Let me know what you think, video will later move to dedicated CNC channel and I will let you know when and where.

Video's will get better as I do it more, this is the first one I ever did.

So far I am happy with the machine and the results. Learning as we go.

https://youtu.be/YXLbdHP1F5c

RR
    Great ! So if I can give an advice it will be to start the machining 1x speed for less than a minute ( recording ) then do 4x or more and finish the couple last second 1x speed
    I use also a laptop for now but i'm in setting up a desktop one for next , have you got a stable run , no problem with the your laptop running mach3 , personally i didn't have problem but not use it a lot yet and much not complicated 3d strategy for now so ...
    I use the same adaptative roughting with f360 it's really sweat love it

Hey Jips,

Thanks for your advise, will keep it in mind for the next one. I am running Mach 3 on Windows 10 64 bit on an older Sony laptop. seems to be working fine. The one in the video is a mini Eepc and works fine too. Once the machine is in its final location, I will show you the total set-up including my new silent air-compressor.

RR

Just uploaded my first video...
    Base on the "sponsored by syfirecnc-usa.com" on the end of your video, did you sign up to be the US sky fire distributor?

Skyfire-usa.com

This is probably good for Defeng; he can focus on pumping out machines and let someone else deal with customers who want 100 special order modifications to their machines.

If this is you, then I strongly recommend you re-write the machine data sheets on the skyfire-usa website so they are not written in chinglish anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by skyfire
    We give many options to bring customer most economic and enough performance CNC machines....Skyfire advocates most optimized features and Industrial Aesthetics everywhere in the designs and build the machines more than a tool. We will try the best to make this machine most valuable to keep....Considering the upgrade possibility, we provides various optional parts and solutions to customers to mostly expend the machine applications and enable any idea users want to realiaze on this machine.
    And in the SVM-1 brochure, the statement "All castings are heat treated and stored over three monthes to eliminate innerstress before we use them to build machines." next to the picture below is mind-boggling. "Pile 'o castings" is not the normally prescribed aging process. Stacking your castings piled on their sides and on top of each other? Even if later ground flat, it isn't really a good advertisement of how you do business.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pile_o_castings.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	313108
    Tim

Hey Jips,

Thanks for your advise, will keep it in mind for the next one. I am running Mach 3 on Windows 10 64 bit on an older Sony laptop. seems to be working fine. The one in the video is a mini Eepc and works fine too. Once the machine is in its final location, I will show you the total set-up including my new silent air-compressor.

RR
    Great ! I got a silent compressor too it's real pleasure to be able to talk when it power on .
    How you was be able to run mach3 on 64bit system , i was obliged to use an old xp 32bit laptop as my one with win8 64bit didn't want to install the skyfire dedicated driver ! Any tricks or how to ?

Hey Jips,

... my new silent air-compressor.
    Can you show that sooner rather than later? Purchased or built/tweaked? $$$?
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Hey Mcphill,

I bought mine, did not want to mess around and slap something together and be disappointed with the results. Will show on one of my next video's how quiet is is but it is really quiet.

Yes, I did sign up to be the USA importer and distributor for Ren's Skyfire CNC machines. I visited him quite a few times and we get along perfectly. After seeing what he build and what's inside the machines besides his dedication I decided to sign up. USA Skyfire website is still under construction but there wont be Chenglish on it. I am re-writing all that needs to be on the site and hope it will be completed soon. There will also be pricing on the site, no need to email or call for pricing.

Attachment 313116

RR

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    The thing is, handlewanker has no real need for a CNC. It was gotten got more than a curiosity. He likes to tinker and dream. Which is great for him, being retired. His machine is bit a source of income, rather more for entertainment. I think he somehow enjoys the attention he receives, whether negative or not. I'd have admired the stubbornness to yield had it been backed up by proof of concept. I'd have even enjoyed the conversation had it not been so one sided.
    LOL.....Louie, I think at last you have finally seen the light I've been promoting.

I don't have parts to make....any at all.......I'm learning the working of CNC right down at the bottom end and having a CAD and CAM program to "hold my hand" is just not my way of doing it.

What better way to learn a complicated procedure than to have the best tools to do the job, otherwise I may just as well have bought a cheap manual mill and done a retrofit to save money.

I bought the machine because I liked the build and the design with all the variations that culminated in the acquisition.............but I really do understand how you feel when someone does not respond exactly as you see it.........after all, I'm going to do it my way, but with all the help I've received so far that will be another success story yet to be written.

So, can you back off a few yards and confine yourself to telling us what you are doing with your SVM-0 as opposed to what I must/should/shouldn't/can't..... do with mine?
    Ian.

Hello Jips,

The new driver I got works in W10. The only thing I needed to do was to disable 'driver signature enforcement' in W10.. After I did this, Windows let me install the driver and all is OK now.

RR

Yes, I did sign up to be the USA importer and distributor for Ren's Skyfire CNC machines. I visited him quite a few times and we get along perfectly. After seeing what he build and what's inside the machines besides his dedication I decided to sign up.
    That is awesome!

Now everyone can pile on you instead of complaining that Defeng isn't spending enough time baby sitting this forum.

Now you need to get the admin to make you a "Skyfire USA Official Support Forum"... (but don't move this thread there, LOL). After all, if Syil has their own forum, who probably hasn't sold more then 2 machines in the US in the past 2 years, you should get one! Then encourage each of the 7(?) machine owners to start their own thread instead of keeping adding to the monstrous thread.
    Tim

Okaaay.

Watched the video and machine seems to be nice. What spindle horsepower SVM-1 ??
    Do all hobby machines have spindle slow down during work loading like this one, when milling aluminum?
    When will someone grow a set and show us what this puppy will do in steel?

Kinda waiting for Louie to show us his hot rodded SVM. His choice os stepper system promises a lot.

And in the SVM-1 brochure, the statement "All castings are heat treated and stored over three monthes to eliminate innerstress before we use them to build machines." next to the picture below is mind-boggling. "Pile 'o castings" is not the normally prescribed aging process. Stacking your castings piled on their sides and on top of each other? Even if later ground flat, it isn't really a good advertisement of how you do business.

Show how to build a CNC machine from the very beginning to the end-pile_o_castings-png

I doubt thats how they store them. Those were probably going for remelts when they found flaws in them ???

Nice compressor is it the piston type one or the classic tank with enclosure ? How much if this is the piston type ?
    Glad to know that you will drive the US division , I allready have made the french translate but not yet ready to take a website in hand in manage a stock here in France , but hope soon btw i allready made the link between non english speakers and skyfire HQ I also made the skyfire logo !
    Hope it will be a great adventure !
    Hey Mcphill,

I bought mine, did not want to mess around and slap something together and be disappointed with the results. Will show on one of my next video's how quiet is is but it is really quiet.

Yes, I did sign up to be the USA importer and distributor for Ren's Skyfire CNC machines. I visited him quite a few times and we get along perfectly. After seeing what he build and what's inside the machines besides his dedication I decided to sign up. USA Skyfire website is still under construction but there wont be Chenglish on it. I am re-writing all that needs to be on the site and hope it will be completed soon. There will also be pricing on the site, no need to email or call for pricing.

Attachment 313116

RR

Page 167 of 184 67117157165166167168169177