586,655 active members*
2,795 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: g540 problem

g540 problem

Hi,

I got problems with my g540 rev4. I'll try to trim my x axis with a metal screwdriver (I am a fool!) and i think a short circuit occured, than led light of x axis gone. Than I got a clever! idea. I tried to swap A and X axis and removed X axis. I'll powered the driver. When I put motor connector on the x axis (old A), it smoked with a blast sound. What should I do? I have a working Y and Z axis, a blown A axis and a not working X axis now.

Does g540 work without A axis. I am not using A axis and I'll think if i fix the problem on X, i'll be fine.

Hi draxus. Sorry to hear you are having such troubles.

You should contact Gecko Tech Support. Don't be ashamed. They have heard much worse problems than yours:

If you have a technical question and would like to contact technical support,
    you can do so by the following means:

Telephone: (714) 832 - 8874
    Fax: (714) 832 - 8082

Email: [email protected]

To send your drive in for technical evaluation, please contact our technical support department. If they tell you to send your drive in, then please send it to the following address with the completed return drive form. Geckodrive will evaluate the drive upon receipt and mail it back to you after inspection or repair free of charge.

Servo Return Form

Stepper Return Form

Please note: Geckodrive will evaluate only the motor controls and no other system component. If motors or other non-Geckodrive electronics are sent to us, they will not be evaluated and a fee will be charged for return shipment of the system components.

ATTN: Repairs
    Geckodrive, Inc.
    14662 Franklin Ave.
    Suite E
    Tustin, CA 92780products | support | forums | contact | faq | downloads | termssign up for newsletter Copyright 2010 Gecko Drive, All Rights ReservedWeb Design by: Los Angeles Web Design
    CR.
    http://crevicereamer.com
    Too many PMs. Email me to my name plus At A O L dot com.

Hi, again.

Thanks to geckodrive, they repaired my g540 for free. I can resume building my cnc now. But I have a problem again. My repaired X axis (changed trim pot) turns one side perfect, but the other side coggy. What can it be? Thanks again.

any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by draxus View Post
    Hi, again.

Thanks to geckodrive, they repaired my g540 for free. I can resume building my cnc now. But I have a problem again. My repaired X axis (changed trim pot) turns one side perfect, but the other side coggy. What can it be? Thanks again.
    Sound like you have a bad connection either on your dir pin or your motor.

I checked all motor cables to the db9 connectors. All is OK. The problem may be db25 cable, g540 or parallel port on computer.

First swap motors. Put a good motor that works on one of the other axis on the X axis. If that fixes it then its the motor. If it doesn't then I suspect that somehow the driver for that axis may be bad and you will need to send it back.
    One other thing you can try is to see if it's your pc is to go into your config file. Change the step and direction pins from 2 and 3 to 3 and 4 for the X axis. Then change the Y axis form 3 and 4 to 2 and 3. If the problem shifts to the Y axis then it's somewhere in the pc or parallel port cable.

Dan
    Camtronics, inc. -- CNC with Dan Mauch.

Quote Originally Posted by draxus View Post
    I checked all motor cables to the db9 connectors. All is OK. The problem may be db25 cable, g540 or parallel port on computer.

Ok, thanks dmauch! Problem is fixed. The port address is wrong. it was 0x37f. I changed it to 0x378 and all steppers are happy now.