586,692 active members*
3,052 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 4 123

x2 w/ cncfusion & more

Hey guys,
    this will be my first CNC build (In fact my first CNC) and wanted something easy that I could put together without requiring a lot of tools.

What I got so far:

- HF X2 mini mill
    - cncfusion kit #4 (Now I think it's called kit #2)
    - G540 3 axis package

This is what my work area looked like when I started

And this is after and hour into the conversion

A couple more random pics of the build...

And here is where the problems started

I can't tight that nut for the love of my life! it's "in" enough so I am not able to take it off, but there is still enough play in it.... an suggestions??

I don't have an answer, but I appreciate the photos and info since I am considering the CNCFusion kit.

I'm not sure from the photos what nut you are having problems with, though...

Quote Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
    I don't have an answer, but I appreciate the photos and info since I am considering the CNCFusion kit.

I'm not sure from the photos what nut you are having problems with, though...
    Thanks!

I figure the pictures were not clear enough... unless you have been stuck in the same situation.

here it's (Although this one is for the X axis... )

Last night, I was trying to hold down the ballscrew while I tighten the nut.

This morning I did the opposite (hold down the nut and try to move the ballscrew the opposite direction)

I had this rubber band that I was using last night, but it's too thick and I couldn't get a good grip.

Then I tried this:

with those two points of contact I was able to tighten the nut...

BTW
    (how tight does it need to be?... there is still a little play on it, so I'm going to continue doing it)

also, does the ballscrews need to be lubricated?
    thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by error404 View Post
    BTW
    (how tight does it need to be?... there is still a little play on it, so I'm going to continue doing it)

also, does the ballscrews need to be lubricated?
    thanks!
    I would think that you would need to eliminate all play on it. The thrust bearing should take all of the axial load of the Y axis so that there is no axial load on the stepper motor shaft.

For some unknown reason, in this youtube video, [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkn966MQAAI"]YouTube - Harbor Freight X2 Mini Mill - CNC Fusion Kit #4 w/Ballscrews - X axis ball screw issue[/nomedia], the builder had some play in the X-axis, even after shimming the nut with three large washers, and that just can't be right. Also, he talks about putting lithium grease on the ballscrew threads.

I took all the play out of the Y axis... now working on the X axis

Lets keep going

Oh man... I hope I'm not messing anything up with my hammer.

This time around, I made my life easier and I use this --->

I really have no clue why we couldn't use a regular nut?!

How are you getting the play out?

I just tighten that awkward nut all the way :banana: (no play on X or Y axis at all)

Maybe the guy on the video had an older kit

I just tighten that awkward nut all the way :banana: (no play on X or Y axis at all)

Maybe the guy on the video had an older kit
    That is called a spanner nut it is used in place of a regular nut as it is relieved so as not to touch both inside and outside race of the bearings
    A regular nut would probably be big enough to hit both races and cause binding issues
    The ones from Michael have a nylock built into them, making them difficult
    to tighten

Looking good on the conversion, moving right along

JTCUSTOMS

Do I need to lubricate the ballscrews??

WHERE CAN I FIND INFO ON HOW TO WIRE THE G540 / STEPPER MOTORS????

I am getting ready to do the same on my Grizz.

Where did you purchase the "G540 3 Axis Kit" from?

Are you pretty satisfied with the CNCFusion kit?

Thanks,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pws View Post
    I am getting ready to do the same on my Grizz.

Where did you purchase the "G540 3 Axis Kit" from?

Are you pretty satisfied with the CNCFusion kit?

Thanks,
    Paul
    here:
    Page Title

I just installed the CNCFusion Kit (a couple of hours ago), it went in easy... But I can't comment much as I haven't even cut a single piece with it yet

I'm new to this also and got a HF mill a few days after you. I'm really interested in this thread as I'm on the fence about the fusion kit as well.

To answer your question about wiring:

In the manual for the G540 (http://www.geckodrive.com/images/fck...4%20MANUAL.pdf) there is a section that lists the pin outs for the DB9 connectors:

DB9 MOTOR CONNECTORS:

Pin 1 CURRENT SET resistor
    Pin 2 GND
    Pin 3 GND
    Pin 4 GND
    Pin 5 CURRENT SET resistor
    Pin 6 PHASE B motor wire
    Pin 7 PHASE /B motor wire
    Pin 8 PHASE A motor wire
    Pin 9 PHASE /A motor wire

You need to tie these wires to the appropriate wires on your steppers. Do you have any documentation on the steppers that you are using?

Here is the text from the manual about the wiring:

STEP 4: CONNECT MOTORS

Wire your motors to the included DB9 solder cup and secure the backshell connectors. If your motors are rated
    below 3.5A you must use a current set resistor across PIN 1 and PIN 5. The resistor is calculated by taking the
    current in amps and multiplying by 1000. If your motor is rated at 2.8A per phase you will have to use a 2.8K 5%
    1/4W resistor. If your motor is rated at 3.5A or above you can safely not use a current set resistor; however, your
    G540 will not go into current standby mode which will result in increased motor heating.
    At this point you should have holding torque on the motors and a green LED lit. If you do not then the motor is
    wired incorrectly or is damaged.

BTW - DB9 is a common connector/cable type.

Keep up the good work and continue to post progress!

Is the 4 axis setup for use with a rotary table?

A couple more questions!

What size motors / power supply did you go with?

Did the kit come with the motor couplings?

Thanks again!
    Paul

here:
    Page Title

I just installed the CNCFusion Kit (a couple of hours ago), it went in easy... But I can't comment much as I haven't even cut a single piece with it yet

Yes, it can certainly be used for one!

Quote Originally Posted by Bmr4life View Post
    Is the 4 axis setup for use with a rotary table?

You can install a 4th axis on the G540

Quote Originally Posted by pws View Post
    A couple more questions!

What size motors / power supply did you go with?

Did the kit come with the motor couplings?

Thanks again!
    Paul
    Gecko Diver G540 3 axis kit (One G540 + Three
    NEMA23 KL23H2100-35-4B (1/4” Dual shaft with a flat) 381
    oz-in + one KL-350-48 48V/7.3A 115V /230Vpower supply:
    $455.95

I have NO love for my CNC fusion Z axis kit. It gets your feet wet and then when you realize the shortcomings of the Z axis, you will try for improvements. I am starting over now from scratch.

Just wanted to say it looks good! Oh do these pictures bring back the memories from when I converted mine. I had a whole bunch of postings here while I was contemplating converting mine and then finally to take the plunge.

The wiring scared me the most but I got it. I did not use the G540 (which looks like it may have actually make this easier), but I found a wiring diagram somewhere on the Internet that I used.

What CAD/CAM and controller software are you going to use?

Mike

Do I need to lubricate the ballscrews??

WHERE CAN I FIND INFO ON HOW TO WIRE THE G540 / STEPPER MOTORS????
    Ballscrews can be lubricated with regular oil, whatever you put on your ways (I use regular 10W-30). You don't want to use grease, because it will trap chips, grit, etc. which will cause your screw/nut to wear faster.

Stepper wiring is very simple once you know a few things. The most important thing is to have all 4 wires firmly connected. Even if you get them wrong, the motor will usually just sit there and growl at you. If one wire is loose, it can blow the controller. This is less of a problem with Geckos and other better controllers, but still something to watch.

Steppers and drivers are usually described on data sheets/diagrams as having a Phase A and Phase B, and then you will see one A with a line over the A and the same for the B. Or sometimes they use + and -. A and B represent the two coils of the motor, and the bars simply represent opposite ends of the coil.

Regardless of the symbols used, it does not have any polarity, so it doesn't matter which direction you wire it, so long as A on the motor goes to A on the drive. Actually, the A and B don't even matter--you could wire the A coil on the motor to the B terminals on the drive, and vice-versa, and all that will happen is that the motor will turn in the opposite direction.

Your motors are simpler because they are 4-wire. If anyone out there reading this has a 6- or 8-wire motor, it will work, but there's a bit more to it. The motors you have are a good match for your drive and machine so don't worry about it

Page 1 of 4 123