586,655 active members*
3,431 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Looking for steppers

I have been reading this fourm for two weeks straight. Trying to decide on a stepper and driver etc.. I am building a 2' x 2' router for cutting just polycarbnate. I need it to be a least able to hold +/- .005 but I am shooting for better. This is what I know. I am going to use ballscrews linear guildes(not sure which ones yet) and Nema 23 steppers. Now what oz/in do I get? I have read there will be an issue if you can not suppy all the voltage to run the stepper. I am gone to buy gecko drivers but what do I get there? I was looking at the G201X but then I saw the G540 and that suggested to use the G201x with it. Is the G540 a break out board. As you can see I am a little confuesed even this post I am writing is confusing me. I need to make a disicion and build from there. Like the Keiling 380 oz in stepper would this work.

This is a build vs buy question. If you need to work now you may just want to purchase a machine turn key. If you will be making money with the box, the hasle of learning how to build it is not worth the tax benefit of buying a turn key machine.

All that said I can see from the post you have a lot to learn in the drive space. You should look at the kit setups that have everything you need like a Joes CNC.

Or this machine

CNCmachines6090 from Keling

Look at my machine if you have the space. Average build time is about 6 months. But I have seen it built in a month, but that is someone who knew very well how to build a CNC Machine. It can be sized to do 4x4 work.

Keep in mind what ever you do to know what sofware these machines use and make sure it can create you cut files. (Or pay someone to make them for you to get you started).

Also if you are just prototyping you can find someone who has a machine to run a file for you .. aka jobing out the work at first.
    MetalHead - http://www.mechmate.com

Thank you for the response. I am diffently gone to build I do have a basic understanding of the system. I have already built one router. But when I built that one I did not have a good understanding. I bought a kit and am not very happy with the results. The main reason I am going the build another one is the money and I like doing it. I want to make sure on this one I get the right compoents from the start. I have read more on the Gecko website and i like the G540 but it says I need to use a higher amp stepper (> 3.5amps) or install a resistor. Is there a good stepper to match this or should I split up the break out board and drivers to buy the G201X?

Re-Read that 540 spec. I think the spec is 0 to 3.5 amps per motor. No more.

http://www.geckodrive.com/upload/G54...4%20MANUAL.pdf

Good doc on G540.
    MetalHead - http://www.mechmate.com

You might want to look at the 3 & 4 axis kits that CNCRouterparts and FineLineAutomation are selling. It includes the pre-wired steppers, Gecko G540, power supply, and cables.

I looked at other 3-axis kits from Probotix, Keling, and Xylotex, but when Fine Line had their Black Friday sale, I had to get it from them (especially considering the G540 is highly recommended on here).

3 Axis Electronics Kit LINK

Quote Originally Posted by CNC Lurker View Post
    You might want to look at the 3 & 4 axis kits that CNCRouterparts and FineLineAutomation are selling. It includes the pre-wired steppers, Gecko G540, power supply, and cables.

I looked at other 3-axis kits from Probotix, Keling, and Xylotex, but when Fine Line had their Black Friday sale, I had to get it from them (especially considering the G540 is highly recommended on here).

You might want to check at the 3 & 4 axis kits here