587,072 active members*
3,112 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Spindle noise

We were considering an X4/5+ machine with an atc and have been waiting for the atc to be available. In the mean time we went to see a machine that a local business had bought. Structurally the machine is well built with nice LCD panel and controls etc. But the spindle is incredibly noisy in operation and I just wanted to ask if this is the same on every machine.

We also viewed a Denford VMC machine (bottom left of the picture) which has the same capacity in the axes and also a carousel 8 station toolchanger and full enclosure and the spindle motor was alot quieter in operation
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails triac.jpg  

I just took delivery of a Denford TRIAC PC that had been converted to run on Mach 3 last week and they are very quiet in operation.

Its funny because the person from which I bought the machine said he had viewed a Syil machine only 2 weeks ago and he mentioned to me that the spindle is indeed very noisy in operation. I have never seen a Syil in person but I would like to fit one of their 4th axis units to the TRIAC. I have to say the Denford is a sweet machine with nice full enclosure and flood coolant system and Mach 3 operated for around $3000.

X5+ Spindle Noise

Here in the UK I have a relatively new X5+ and I can confirm that the spindle is indeed noisy. I have tried to isolate the causes of the noise and it would seem that apart from the motor whine there is a significant level of noise from the spindle bearings. Any thought on how to reduce this would be appreciated!

Perhaps they are angular contact bearings to take the sideways load from cutting. These type of bearings generally are quite noisy in operation.

That may be the case but if I disconnect the drive belt and rotate the spindle by hand you can feel a slight roughness and I can not help but think that adds to the overall noise. I was tempted to strip down the spindle but I really do not have another experience with things like that.

I have seen where these type machines coming from china have cast iron fine in the bottoms of the gear boxes and inside the spindles quil. If you want a quiet and longer lasting machine I advise to take the brand new machines and power wash the insides of the gear box and spindles. Then re lube and reset them up as needed. Although the fine iron will pass through the bearings and gears with minimal damage, over time it will destroy the bearings. I broke this my first rule and myself had to go through the gear box and spindle replacing bearings and redoing everything. My gear box was so far gone that I HAD to go belt drive. Now my machine is much better than a stocker but !
    Don
    IH v-3 early model owner

I have experimented with several options for my Super X3 that is made by Grizzly, and my noise always came from the spline inside the drive pulley. I can say that the cut power is greatly increased and you will have a noticable improvement in cut quality if you secure that pulley with the spline.

I have done many different things, made new pulleys, filled in the spline with industrial metal epoxy and mated it to the spline, looked at adding set screws to the pulley, etc etc.

So far the most effective thing I have done is add a "Camlock" to the spindle pulley. Basically a seperate, round piece of steel that has the center like the spline, but mounted on top of the pulley. By drilling and securing the plate to the pulley, you can twist the plate opposite the pulley remove the slop. Then lock the plate down with lock screws, pins etc.

I will locate the drawing in the morning and try and post it. You can't remove all of the noise of the bearings, but you can eliminate the spindle slop and that is 80% of it.

I would have thought that a simple "taper lock" keyed pulley would be the best solution, no movement at all as everything is clamped solid ???