586,748 active members*
7,499 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > anilam to Mach3 Driver help

Question anilam to Mach3 Driver help

ok so i have been looking into turning my anilam 3300mk into a Mach3 mill. my hope is that all i need to get it a break out board like this one.
    the only thing is that the servos are brushed dc, and im not sure how to hook up the BO board to the existing anilam drives. as they are right now there are 5 wires going in (excluding wires to the servos) these are hooked up to what is called "Signal In" "Commom" "Tach" "Clamp" and "Commom" in that order(here is a Pic). now as i understand Mach3 outputs Step and Dir with a commom i think. what im haveing a hard time trying to find out is weather these are the same thing or not. the drive model # is SMA7215-200-1 any help or input on this would be great!

thanks.

The Anilam drives use analog inputs from the controller and from tachometer feedback. Step and Direction outputs from Mach (and the BOB) are digital. Think of it like steering a car right or left as analog, and flooring the accelerator then the brake as the digital pulse, with Drive and Reverse as the direction. There have been interfaces made that will change the step/direction to analog but they require that the encoder be connected to them. Gecko makes servo drives that accept step/direction input (and quadrature encoder feedback) that you might be able to replace the anilam drives with....
    http://www.geckodrive.com/product.aspx?c=2&i=14456
    You may be able to use the power supply and motors you have depending on their voltage and current ratings.

Steve

well thank you! I didnt know about that. i was trying to avoid having to buy drivers but it looks like i am going to have to. but like you said im going to have to check voltage and current. the other think im worried about is the reason im trying to get away from anilam is that im getting x y or z over lag errors. and as fare as i know could only be 2 things, improper set up, or tach problems. but the people on the phone tell me its a set up problem. but im about done with them after they have sent "techs" out to fix it at $100ph for 3 days and the first thing they say is "do you have a manual for this thing?". the guy had never seen a mill with dc motors on it... anyway im done ranting. Thanks again!

I need anilam 3300mk parts. Do you have any for sale.
    My 3300 MK CPU is not working. I would like to have a system for spares.
    Larry 801 216 4576 Thank you