586,655 active members*
2,792 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Mastercam X5 Builds

Mastercam X5 Builds

In getting ready for the new version of mastercam we decided to look into new computers vs. upgrading. Here are the current system specs of our Dell Precision Workstations:

2.33Ghz Intel Xeon Dual core
    Quadro NVS 285
    2GB DDR2

If I were to upgrade just the GPU I still feel that the CPU/RAM would bottleneck these machines and the upgrade wouldn't really be worth it. In addition I really do not know enough about how mastercam utilizes each piece of hardware to say if the GPU is even the piece I want to upgrade. With the dual core, 2GB RAM, and NVS 285 will my old workstations be sluggish on X5? Am I correct in thinking the CPU will bottleneck any upgrades to RAM/GPU?

Hopefully you guys can help me out with these questions...I have more but I don't want to overwhelm anyone. Also, if anyone has suggestions for a good GPU please let me know. Right now i'm looking at using the Quadro 3700 or 3800, anything more almost seems like overkill. Price isn't an issue, but I obviously want to keep the price to performance level reasonable (I don't want to spend an extra $400 for 2% gains)

I have a quad core Intel with 8GB of Ram and 1GB ram on my video card running 2 monitors (500mb / screen). I'm running XP64, but plan to upgrade to Win7 / 64 for the next machine.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Quote Originally Posted by AFR View Post
    In getting ready for the new version of mastercam we decided to look into new computers vs. upgrading. Here are the current system specs of our Dell Precision Workstations:

2.33Ghz Intel Xeon Dual core
    Quadro NVS 285
    2GB DDR2

If I were to upgrade just the GPU I still feel that the CPU/RAM would bottleneck these machines and the upgrade wouldn't really be worth it. In addition I really do not know enough about how mastercam utilizes each piece of hardware to say if the GPU is even the piece I want to upgrade. With the dual core, 2GB RAM, and NVS 285 will my old workstations be sluggish on X5? Am I correct in thinking the CPU will bottleneck any upgrades to RAM/GPU?

Hopefully you guys can help me out with these questions...I have more but I don't want to overwhelm anyone. Also, if anyone has suggestions for a good GPU please let me know. Right now i'm looking at using the Quadro 3700 or 3800, anything more almost seems like overkill. Price isn't an issue, but I obviously want to keep the price to performance level reasonable (I don't want to spend an extra $400 for 2% gains)
    It seems like you are installing a $3000 dollar stereo in a $200 car. Why worry about the hardware cost, just buy the best and be done with it for at least 5 years. If X5 is legal its about 9 times the cost of a NEW dell workstation.

Quote Originally Posted by foxsquirrel View Post
    It seems like you are installing a $3000 dollar stereo in a $200 car. Why worry about the hardware cost, just buy the best and be done with it for at least 5 years. If X5 is legal its about 9 times the cost of a NEW dell workstation.
    I second that! The cost of a new workstation is minimal compared to the the cost of X5. Why take that chance?
    All comments made are my opinion!

Wow! SPAM - Sorry for trying to share good information!

Guys as this topic was about buying the right computer.you should really look at Solidboxs site.
    That is what Mike was trying to do. yes as a Mastercam dealer and this dealer has a partnership with them, these box's are good and the prices are to.they are for Solid works or MC.

So I am posting the link as this to help not to spam as this is an option for computers on what this topic is about.

Hey Guys check out SOLIDBOX - GROUND BREAKING PERFORMANCE for Mastercam Computers.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

All good Mike.have a good day..
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mattera View Post
    I have a quad core Intel with 8GB of Ram and 1GB ram on my video card running 2 monitors (500mb / screen). I'm running XP64, but plan to upgrade to Win7 / 64 for the next machine.

Mike Mattera
    Mike when you can take the leap to Win7 I found all around a smother and faster system.
    I run two of my work stations on Win7 64 bit one Laptop. A must for me now.
    Cadcam

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    Mike when you can take the leap to Win7 I found all around a smother and faster system.
    I run two of my work stations on Win7 64 bit one Laptop. A must for me now.
    Is X5 a 64 bit application? Is there an X5 that will run in Solidworks 64 bit?

John

John to answer you No and Yes as I run both.
    Cadcam

Hi Jay,

Win 7/64 is the plan for the next box. I just don't have the time to get and install all the apps I use, into a new box right now. They have Win 7 at the school where I'm working. I want to get my learning curve on their system/time, before I spend the $ for a new box. One of the nice things about being at the school is the MSoft Educational discount. I can get Win 7 for about $65.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    John to answer you No and Yes as I run both.
    So you can run a 32 bit application like Mastercam inside Solidworks 64 bit version. How well could that work?

John

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mattera View Post
    Hi Jay,

Win 7/64 is the plan for the next box. I just don't have the time to get and install all the apps I use, into a new box right now. They have Win 7 at the school where I'm working. I want to get my learning curve on their system/time, before I spend the $ for a new box. One of the nice things about being at the school is the MSoft Educational discount. I can get Win 7 for about $65.

Mike Mattera
    Mike, are you using educational versions of Solidworks, Mastercam and others to produce the videos your are selling? I did watch the SW surface demo and it looked really good.