587,661 active members*
3,455 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC Swiss Screw Machines > setting Z0 and tool Z0 geometry offsets

setting Z0 and tool Z0 geometry offsets

Im totally new to the swiss machines. Im on a tsugami bw12 machine and was wondering how you set your z0 and tool 0. In a lot of the current programs the cutoff tool does a cutoff at the beginning of the program so im assuming that this sets z 0. I know how to set the x offsets but confused about z. Some of the programs have live tooling such as endmills. Do I call up the endmill then jog the barstock to the endmill and touch off with a shim? Any help will be appreciated!!

Quote Originally Posted by pleasedontcrash View Post
    Im totally new to the swiss machines. Im on a tsugami bw12 machine and was wondering how you set your z0 and tool 0. In a lot of the current programs the cutoff tool does a cutoff at the beginning of the program so im assuming that this sets z 0. I know how to set the x offsets but confused about z. Some of the programs have live tooling such as endmills. Do I call up the endmill then jog the barstock to the endmill and touch off with a shim? Any help will be appreciated!!

It depends if your using G19 and cutting on the od or if your using G17 and cutting on the face.
    For G19 touch tool off in od. Your program should have a shift which will bring face to center of tool.
    For G17 you can touch off on face. This will be a live tool mounted in the Z direction. You should have a preset gage for seeing Z face tooling.