587,925 active members*
3,364 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > help...sheline brushes in spindle motor....plus faults out..

help...sheline brushes in spindle motor....plus faults out..

well after almost 6 years, of trying to make a "plug and play" sheline mill work i htink im on to the final bit of the problem......

my sheline cnc mill 5400 cnc retro fit from im serv, faults out in the same place every time.

it only does it when the spindle motor is running, i have heard if the brushes get worn, it will create a lot of "noise" is there a good way of isolating this??

i will order new brushes soon, any thoughts on ordering from sherline or a better place??

program faults out in the same place every time......

Though I dont run Sherline's controller or an IMSERV product, it wouldnt seem a fault would occur due to noise in the same place every time. Can you isolate the power from the spindle motor to the controller and seperate them? You could try a higher debounce setting. Also since this only happens with the motor running, do you have a grounding plug adapter? Try it on the power to the spindle to see if it is an electrical issue. How does the table move by hand (assuming the steppers have hand wheels) at the point of failure? Do you run Fred's quick tool changer too?

ok how do i do......

how do i do a higher debounce setting? what and where is it?
    it faults out in the smae place every time...when it faults out, the hand wheels go "limp" and i can turn them by hand.......
    i can isolate the control box from evey thing else....and double check the grounding.......

i may have found a fault in the control box....a out of spec pot......

no im not running freds tool changer,,,,,i havent even seen it.....

aaron

I run Mach3 so I am not sure which software you are using. I believe imserv uses deskcnc. If you are using Mach3, select "config" in the upper left corner, select "general config" and look in the upper right and it will say "debounce settings. In the 2 dialog boxes install 1000 or more for the test. I believe this allows more time for the computer to process the signal and combat falsing. Also I dont think the index debounce really does anything anymore. It wont hurt to set the boxes up during this test. If it helps we will work backwards as to what is the problem.

Have you moved anything lately that would allow the case of the machine to touch the computer? Grounds can do the weirdest things. A common wire touching the 2?

Look closely at what's happening when the fault

occurs. If it were really noise from your brushes causing it, you'd expect it to be more random. Are you commanding a rapid move just then? Changing speed? Moving a new axis? Hitting a mechanical snag? Those are the sorts of things that generally cause repeatable faults like this, not radio-frequency interference.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Kind of what I was thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    occurs. If it were really noise from your brushes causing it, you'd expect it to be more random. Are you commanding a rapid move just then? Changing speed? Moving a new axis? Hitting a mechanical snag? Those are the sorts of things that generally cause repeatable faults like this, not radio-frequency interference.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

gonna try...

just got off the phone with a cnc machine builder, who is very up to speed , and he said, he has seen this several times, on the shelines...and told me and i quote" im sorry you bought one of im serv machine" he said he chased this on his machines, and he said, to get some sheilded cable, and install this betwwen the the spindles dc drive box, and the dc motor....he said im making a lot of noise, and the cable is acting as an antena, and as it puts off noise, the encoders pic up the noise, transmit this to the sarvo amps and they "freak out" gonna try this.....and yes i did move the machine to my lvng room.......ran fine here...untill i had to pull off the y axis sarvo.......

i got the local eletrical supy house to give me 2 feet of sheilded cable......gonna have a buddy (how is good with electronics) instal my cable....hope this does well

mego thanks to scott at machine tool camp !!!!! very knowlable man....mega thanks !

Go to the electrical section here on the zone, "Al the Man" is the moderator. He is usually very quick in his responses. He seems to be very knowledgeable. Noise is a very common issues in these machines. The ground issue I was referring to will also create gremlins. When installing the shielded cable on the motor/spindle, only connect the shield at the controller, not both at the spindle and controller. You want to bleed off the RF/EMI not connect grounds. Or that is the way I kind of understand it. I believe there are some resistors you can place in the circuit that will help with the noise. You would have to look up the formulas.