587,613 active members*
3,703 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Best software for a newbie

I hope this isn't too much of a "been asked before" type of question.

I will soon be in receipt of a small (18x30 inch) CNC router. It has everything needed to start using, except for PC+software and a spindle. Actually it comes with a spindle, but it's a DOA rotozip. I have a rotozip, and there is also a mount for a router. But I digress.

My question is: I have virtually no experience with this type of system, so I have no idea what to look for in software. I'm told Mach3 is good, but I have no idea where to start on the CAD end. I've used eMachineShop.com to have a few things made for work, and their software is pretty sweet for a novice, but their software is also proprietary. Is there something similar in terms of drawing capability and ease of use and visualization (of course, ignoring the rest of their machine, material and process selection and quoting tools)?

I've heard mentioned BobCAD, Dolphin, DraftCAD and a host of others. All I need is something to do simple 2d (cut) and 2.5d (route, engrave) jobs with. Something that will feed the CAM side, which I'm assuming will be Mach3 (or is it Mach2?) unless there is something better.

Sorry to be so completely clueless. Oh, I will initially be cutting parts from 0.25" polycarb sheet, and then I have some requests for various wood cuts and routes in 5/8" and less.

Thanks

Scott

Let me see if i can apply what little i know on the subject.. this is actually where i'm having my bigest problems right now.. software...

ok, first you need software to draw what it is you want to cut. this is your CAD. then you need CAM software, this converts the drawing into gcode. then you need controller software, ie Mach3. what the controller software does is reads the g code, and puts the commands out (like with mach 3 throught the parallel port) as electrical pulses to the motor drives.

now i have read about some software that has the cad and the cam all in 1, but i cant speak on its effectivness, as i haven't tried it.

i'm trying to use rhino for my cad, and i'm definately using mach 3 its the inbetween part that i'm having troubles with... so far i have playd with lazy cam, and it would be ok for simple stuff, but it chokes on the things i'm drawing..

good luck to ya.. oh, and just a tip, if you think your asking a "been asked" kinda question, do a couple searches for it and see what you come up with, then if you still have questions, you can still ask them ofcourse, but it might save you some time waiting for people to answer...
    Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

For just starting out, try a free 2D CAD program like A9CAD www.a9tech.com

Mach3 comes with a simple CAM program, LazyCAM which will convert .dxf's from your CAD program to g-code.

I'd download Mach3 and a CAD program and and play around with them. Be sure to watch the tutorial videos at www.machsupport.com
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

You can also use paper, pencil and calculater to figure out all your codes and coordinates, then type them into Mach.
    No need for CAD or CAM (just like the old days).

It is good to understand coding anyway, otherwise how will you know if there is a mistake? and crash your machine.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca