587,210 active members*
3,170 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mac control software anywhere?

Mac control software anywhere?

Looking for control software that runs on mac osx.

Thanks for any info,

RUawake

why, just get a pc. keep your mac for pictures and mp3s , this is real workJoking. seriously, pcs are so cheap why force the issue?

I'm a long time Mac user (since 1984 and through "the dark years") and also wanted to do the same thing. I came to several conclusions: 1) do I really want my Mac in my shop near a machine that spews metal chips and cutting fluid (no) 2) it is hard enough converting a machine to CNC with all of the great information and help that is available here and other places, do I really want to break new ground and go it alone using a Mac (no).

You really can pick up an old XP system for short change or free (my sister in law had an unused one) just ask around or check one of the regional freecycle lists or CraigsList. My PC sits near my mill and I don't worry about it. There is so much great and inexpensive software for the PC for this specialty area too (like Mach 3, CamBam, etc).

I came to the conclusion that a workflow that allowed me to design on the Mac and mill from the PC would be fine. I discovered ViaCAD - it is inexpensive and supports both PC and Mac. I really like it for the type of work that I do. I can wireless transfer the CAD files to the PC and run them through CamBam to generate the g-code and then on to Mach3. It works quite well and I can leverage all of the knowledge and experience of Mach3 and CamBam users.

Food for thought!

cheers,
    Michael
    Reelsmith, Angling Historian, and Author of "The Reelsmith's Primer"
    www.EclecticAngler.com | www.ReelLinesPress.com

Here's an EMC based control that supposedly will run on a mac. Supports a rather limited set of G and M codes (about 10 total). Source code is available, so you can modify it if you want. Only $80 in the US.
    http://www.ecklersoft.com/
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

cam bam?

CamBam is a windows CAM app. Converts your CAD drawing to gcode. Then Mach3 interprets the gcode to control your mill or lathe or router.

cheers,
    Michael

i just never heard of it i am checking it out, thanks,,,, you like it?

I've only recently purchased it and Mach3. Was generating gcode by hand to run the mill while I as CNCing it. I make fly fishing reels (mostly 2D and 2 1/2D stuff). It has been pretty good and I am happy with it. It has a pretty big user base so there is always someone willing to help.

cheers,
    Michael

money is not the issue and the pc's as well. My problem is I want to know the software settings of the Funnuc system KC6A, to convert Mach 3 on the machine. The software on the machine is not user friendly like Mach 3.

@ecklersoft
    The guy is obviously very clever but.....yuck.

A solution looking for a problem.

Edit/ Re: yuck. I was being unfair.
    Someday computers with a strong parallel port may be hard to find. Or easy to find in scrap heaps but not capable of running up to date software. When (if) that day comes the work done by eckersoft may be part of the solution. Maybe it's the solution in some situations right now. Plus it's open source which is a good thing
    At the current time sacrificing a bunch of the functionality of Mach or EMC2 for the sake of avoiding the ppt is not a good trade-off for most users.
    That's my opinion. Everybody has one. Some are wise enough to keep it to themselves.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by the4thseal View Post
    why, just get a pc. keep your mac for pictures and mp3s , this is real workJoking. seriously, pcs are so cheap why force the issue?
    Well, when you are a Mac household for a few years, you end up with spare Macs and no PCs. I've got two older iMacs, and yet I had to get a cheap PC to run my mill for lack of a good Mac CNC solution.

I figure I could get EMC2 running on a Mac pretty easily, but without a printer port to hook a BOB to, that complicates things. Perhaps a SmoothStepper, but without a an EMC2 driver available for it (complied for PPC no less), that was one more variable than I was willing to take on.

Sooo, in the end I got a cheap PC and didn't force the issue But I would have preferred to recycle an old Mac.

Cheers,
    - Dean