Re: Anyone Load PathPilot yet?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I agree completely this thread belongs in the Tormach Forum - it not like this software can be used universally. Please move it back

Jeff

People ***** to get it moved because it is in the Tormach forum because there is Pathpilot forum for it, presumably someone asked for the Pathpilot forum to be included, and presumably Paul put it in this section.
    I suggest you post a suggestion in the Suggested Changes Forum and attempt to get it moved?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

And one more thing.
    For some reason, this only happens in the Tormach forums.

When you guys report each other for petty things, you're more likely to put yourself on the "next to ban" list than the ones you're reporting.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    You can use the "Thread tools" (near the top of this page) to get an email everytime there is a posting to a particular thread.
    It would be far simpler just to leave the thread in the Tormach forum.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Done - thanks for the link.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    It would be far simpler just to leave the thread in the Tormach forum.
    Thanks to whoever made that change.

Mike

Glad too see this forum got placed where I originally requested, good job getting the squeaky wheel oiled fellas.
    Walt

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Although I ordered on announcement day mine didn't arrive until yesterday. I suppose that it takes long for the pony to make it to Canada! I didn't want to wipe my Mach3 controller until I got some experience with Pathpilot. Booting the DVD on an old HP7700 with a new 1TB drive went without a hitch. As others have noted, showing file lists in icon view makes very poor use of screen real estate and gives no way to tell which is the latest version of a file or even its size. Testing a few old jobs got errors such as:

G-code error in GrooveLeg.txt
    Near line: 11
    Unknown g code used

It turns out the problem is LinuxCNC doesn't understand G70. Easy to fix but why not display the line in error rather than forcing the user to count lines?

Although I ordered on announcement day mine didn't arrive until yesterday. I suppose that it takes long for the pony to make it to Canada! I didn't want to wipe my Mach3 controller until I got some experience with Pathpilot. Booting the DVD on an old HP7700 with a new 1TB drive went without a hitch. As others have noted, showing file lists in icon view makes very poor use of screen real estate and gives no way to tell which is the latest version of a file or even its size. Testing a few old jobs got errors such as:

G-code error in GrooveLeg.txt
    Near line: 11
    Unknown g code used

It turns out the problem is LinuxCNC doesn't understand G70. Easy to fix but why not display the line in error rather than forcing the user to count lines?
    I feel your frustration. Ordered mine the day after, received it that Friday, but didn't receive my card from Mesa that I ordered the same day, until today. 5I25 from Mesa installed in an old HP D530 SFF. Once it booted it reflashed the firmware and so far so good. Had an issue getting it to boot though, all my fault. I installed PP on a fresh SATA drive, after disconnecting the original IDE drive with Mach on it. I hooked the IDE drive w/Mach up to use until I got my card. When I installed the card and booted, I got an error of "init= bootarg". Reconnecting the IDE drive messed with the drive labels and PP didn't like it. Just a heads up to those that are trying to dual boot.

Soft limits are nice! After reffing I kept tripping the X axis right limit switch(X+) at around 17.75". Had to adjust the limit switches. I also noticed the table overhangs on the left about 3/8" when the table is full right, and goes past the edge on the right with the table full left about the same. Anyone else have this going on? I only have about 1/8" of adjustment left on the left switch contact.

My white-box install with the Tormach-provided Mesa card on an older proc/mb combo I had laying around went perfect. Apparently Tormach did not have any problems with PCNC1100 owners not having a TMC. A few notes below:

- The disc is a bootable image deployment, not an Anaconda based installer (This means you will lose everything on your disc and you cannot configure your network / partition layout / timezone / root password / etc...)
    - The distro is Ubuntu 10.04
    - Samba is installed and configured, however, it is set for a password login
    - NICs are configured for DHCP
    - The PathPilot application is set to launch on boot (without the x-window manager, no gnome desktop will show up! If you plan to boot to the gnome desktop INSTEAD of PathPilot you can do that too, I have posted how in multiple other threads, READ THE DISCLAIMER)
    - I haven't had time to really push PathPilot much yet on my mill as real life has been getting in the way, but simple homing, jogging and zeroing a corner of the vise worked great

Quote Originally Posted by wtopace View Post
    - Samba is installed and configured, however, it is set for a password login
    - NICs are configured for DHCP
    I can see the machine (TORMACHPCNC) on my network and the Gcode share. However, what is the default password and how do I change it?

I can see the machine (TORMACHPCNC) on my network and the Gcode share. However, what is the default password and how do I change it?
    I know how to solve this, however, it's not an easy approach as it requires some manual Linux reconfiguring (not really for the faint of heart).

I'll look into it more and see if there is an easier way for us to modify / update the Samba configuration from within PathPilot. Keep in mind, this will still be an unsupported use of the file manager wizard if it works at all.

On a side note, it looks like Tormach did include some automated update processes, so they can definitely release updates to fix these kind of problems. Please create help tickets for them so they know what issues / feature requests that we are looking for (optionally removing password requirement for Samba on a private network would be a good example).

From the manual page 51

If connected to a network using either the ethernet jack on the control computer or the optional
    USB Networking Adaptor (PN 34705), the computer will appear on a network as network-attached
    storage. The controller exports a Windows network share named G-code to the Windows network
    with a domain name WORKGROUP. The default network name of the controller is TORMACHPCNC.
    The login name for the share is ]WORKGROUP\operator and the password is pcnc.

The network name must be unique on your network, and it is changed by typing in the Network
    Name DRO and pressing Enter. The controller must be restarted for the name change to take effect.
    Refer to the documentation that ships with the USB Networking Adaptor for more information.

David

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Allen View Post
    From the manual page 51

If connected to a network using either the ethernet jack on the control computer or the optional
    USB Networking Adaptor (PN 34705), the computer will appear on a network as network-attached
    storage. The controller exports a Windows network share named G-code to the Windows network
    with a domain name WORKGROUP. The default network name of the controller is TORMACHPCNC.
    The login name for the share is ]WORKGROUP\operator and the password is pcnc.

The network name must be unique on your network, and it is changed by typing in the Network
    Name DRO and pressing Enter. The controller must be restarted for the name change to take effect.
    Refer to the documentation that ships with the USB Networking Adaptor for more information.

David
    Perfect!!

RTFM is always better than my solution of poking at the rear end to see how stuff works =)

In order to get stuff working I've been trying to understand the differences between Mach3 Gcode dialect and what is accepted by Pathpilot. To that end I've found that the table in Appendix II of CNC Milling in the Workshop by Dr. Marcus Bowman (ISBN 978 1 84797 5126, Amazon.com: 9781847975126 ) is very helpful. In fact, that entire book deals with the different ways of doing things in Mach3 and LinuxCNC and suspect that the author's conversational presentation would be useful for many users. To clarify, I have no financial interest in the success of this book but I am a happy reader!

I asked Tormach if there was a way to change PathPilot's Network default domain name of WORKGROUP.

wtopace a FYI from Tormach:
    Please note: there is an error in the manual regarding the share name. The share name is ‘gcode’, not ‘G-code’.

David

After a very helpful exchange with Jason at Tormach I learned that the account is ’WORKGROUP\operator’ and the password is ‘pcnc’. I can mount that share from my Win7 machine and view/add/delete folders and transfer files. Pathpilot notices that a file has been changed and asks whether it should be reloaded. Slick!

Moving my subroutines to the top of each program and changing the M98/M99 is a pain. It seems that "%" does not make a comment line so yet another change required.

Just finished two of these: fuel cell covers using Path Pilot on my 1100. The model was lofted over four different sets of 'legs', so sprutCam put in lots code. About 12,000 lines of code, running about 7hrs each side..not one hickup!
    Attachment 271944 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuelcell back.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	271948

Page 4 of 6 23456