587,751 active members*
2,972 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 4 of 4 234
    Quote Originally Posted by bpoulin View Post
    It will make the quality of your products better, of course in the begining quality will be more based on your ability, however that will change as you learn.
    Ability sure, but it also helps to have $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. haha.

Quote Originally Posted by cinematic2 View Post
    bpoulin you are 100% right.
    Hey Guys I appreciate exactly what you say here but you are not completely 100% right - there are always exceptions.

This is just a few variants but all these items were all produced with the same machine.

Tweakie.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pic1aa.jpg   pic3aa.jpg   pic5aa.jpg   pic6aa.jpg  

pic7aa.jpg   pic9aa.jpg  
    CNC is only limited by our imagination.

Sure Tweakie
    But what was your engraving speed?
    Normal laser engraving speed can be 400-1000 mm/s depending on laser power and material spec.
    You have very weak laser so you do not loose time. Both laser and machine are slow.
    If you had more powerfull laser you would use it on very low % of its power instead of 60-80%.
    CNC lasers, constructions, service

@Tweakie, it's off topic, but where did you get the files for those gears? I've tried finding a program to do them, but I've had no luck. I have some square gear files, but I wanted to expand on it.

Quote Originally Posted by bpoulin View Post
    @Tweakie, it's off topic, but where did you get the files for those gears? I've tried finding a program to do them, but I've had no luck. I have some square gear files, but I wanted to expand on it.
    Take a look at this thread....
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/laser_...g_acrylic.html

It's gearotic (Gearotic Motion) written by Art Fenerty of Mach3 fame.

Tweakie posted some really nice looking clear Acrylic gears like these on another forum - as usual quite outstanding quality.

Zax.

Finally we had a day off and I've had time to research the links and ideas that have come up. I find tweakie conceptually a viable and versatile solution. Speed is not a problem for me as I'd only be using the laser or cnc router to customize one off pieces as I made them.
    The vinyl plotter / cutters and masking film are going to work for me but again it's a question of which plotter, which software. When I get home I think I'll visit some signmakers and see what works for them.
    For anyone who's interested the 22 karat gold sign vinyl is called signgold I've written to them to get some detail of the product, if they've anything interesting to say I'll pass it on.

I can tell you the BEST sign equipment is Gerber (Gerber Scientific Products - Sign Making Equipment - Sign Making Software - Sign Making Materials & Accessories), although there are much cheaper solutions like the US Cutter systems I mentioned.

Zax.

Quote Originally Posted by evans View Post
    Finally we had a day off and I've had time to research the links and ideas that have come up. I find tweakie conceptually a viable and versatile solution. Speed is not a problem for me as I'd only be using the laser or cnc router to customize one off pieces as I made them.
    The vinyl plotter / cutters and masking film are going to work for me but again it's a question of which plotter, which software. When I get home I think I'll visit some signmakers and see what works for them.
    For anyone who's interested the 22 karat gold sign vinyl is called signgold I've written to them to get some detail of the product, if they've anything interesting to say I'll pass it on.

Quote Originally Posted by zax15uk View Post
    I can tell you the BEST sign equipment is Gerber (Gerber Scientific Products - Sign Making Equipment - Sign Making Software - Sign Making Materials & Accessories), although there are much cheaper solutions like the US Cutter systems I mentioned.

Zax.
    My old cnc machine i am fixing up was originally a Gerber Scientific flatbed vinyl cutter. The thing is built like a German tank, which is why i strapped on a 3hp spindle to it.

I was Gerber dealer for 6 years, brilliant equipment, brilliant people but MAXX fault have destroyed everything :violin:

When I was looking at flatbed plotters during the weekend I wondered if one could be the basis for a cnc router / laser. I'm glad to hear that it is feasible.
    I'm convinced that a Gerber is the vinyl plotter that I will look for, the HS15 looks like a good bet. There is a good 2nd hand one on the net for $3,000, which is around what I expected it to cost me to get started.
    I don't get back to NZ until May and will keep researching until I get home. Signgold are being extremely helpful. Anyone who wants to experiment with gold signing would find them worth emailing.
    What is MAXX fault are there models or software that I should be wary of ?
    Thanks

When I was looking at flatbed plotters during the weekend I wondered if one could be the basis for a cnc router / laser. I'm glad to hear that it is feasible.
    I'm convinced that a Gerber is the vinyl plotter that I will look for, the HS15 looks like a good bet. There is a good 2nd hand one on the net for $3,000, which is around what I expected it to cost me to get started.
    I don't get back to NZ until May and will keep researching until I get home. Signgold are being extremely helpful. Anyone who wants to experiment with gold signing would find them worth emailing.
    What is MAXX fault are there models or software that I should be wary of ?
    Thanks
    GERBER MAXX 2 Thermal Transfer Printer - Gerber Scientific Products - Sign Making Equipment - Sign Making Solutions

Pretty much new age foil technology. haha

The early Maxx units had some problems, but the basic machine was sound and as with most Gerber Scientific products it was very well built. It was an attempt to satisfy customers request for a wider Edge (vinyl printer) machine.

Anyway, back to the original question. The only systems I would avoid are the FasTrack plotters, not because they are bad, but they aren't any better than cheaper alternatives.

Zax.

OK a Gerber plotter is a good bet. I think I'm looking at the wrong model though as the HS is for high speed.
    What I do need is accuracy and dependability. A 15" unit looks right for me as it's not too bulky and I wont be doing larger work.
    Can anyone steer me to exactly what I should be searching for ?
    The only signgold product that I will be trying is the 22karat satin thermal printable as they are the only ones that can be clearcoated.

The HS models are servo driven, very solid machines. You can also look at the Envision range which are also servo but a newer design (slightly cheaper).

The GS models are stepper which is ok too but for plotters I prefer servos.

Is the material you want to use available sprocketed (punched) in the Gerber pattern?

Zax.

OK a Gerber plotter is a good bet. I think I'm looking at the wrong model though as the HS is for high speed.
    What I do need is accuracy and dependability. A 15" unit looks right for me as it's not too bulky and I wont be doing larger work.
    Can anyone steer me to exactly what I should be searching for ?
    The only signgold product that I will be trying is the 22karat satin thermal printable as they are the only ones that can be clearcoated.

The signgold material is punched and since their tech adviser recommended the Gerber machine must be compatible. The vinyl masking film I have not yet researched. For my purposes I will mostly be using the masking film, spray adhesive and foils

The signgold material is punched and since their tech adviser recommended the Gerber machine must be compatible. The vinyl masking film I have not yet researched. For my purposes I will mostly be using the masking film, spray adhesive and foils
    Give your local Spandex office a call Spandex, your partner in Sign Making and Digital Print , they often have used equipment (factory refurbished) or can put you in touch with a customer looking to upgrade and sell their plotter. Of coruse they can also make you a deal on a new machine too.

Zax.

Page 4 of 4 234