587,890 active members*
3,369 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 4 1234
    Donald

thats not a bad idea.... if it didnt require me figuring out how to get the keyway cut, i'd be all over it.
    Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

On my custom x2 spindle assembly, I simply drilled and tapped the pulley for a set screw - the set screw then engages the keyway on the shaft. No broaching necessary(not an option for me, given the pulley bore for my specific application).
    www.rc-monster.com

now thats an interesting idea.. and something well within my abilities...

something else i saw, that i was currious about, and i dont remember the link off the top of my head, it might be one of the ones above, but i saw one, where someone in the houstin area took one of the little air powered mini die grinders and made up a special drawbar, and was able to mount the thing in the big spindle.. i'm wondering about doing somethng like that... It woul be better than the way i have it mounted now, definately stronger and with less flex.. and would also put it in the "middle" of the table rather than off to one side...

one other thought that i had was to find a r8 taper blank, one of thoes make your own collet kinda deals, and make a bearing support, and a custom drawbar and power it through the original spindle, then mount a collet rig under that.. then i could spin that pretty fast, and use whatever motor i wanted to.. and end up with basically the same thing...
    Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

Quote Originally Posted by project5k View Post
    thats not a bad idea.... if it didnt require me figuring out how to get the keyway cut, i'd be all over it.
    Cutting a keyway should not intimidate you - You can make a keyway broach in about 10 minutes using a length of steel round stock, and a small HSS lathe toolbit. Cross-drill the rod so the toolbit slips in the hole, then end-drill for a setscrew to hold the tool in place. Put the in the quill of your mill, and you can cut a nice keyway in a few minutes by just working the quill up and down as you move the toolbit into the work a few thou at a time. I've done it dozens of times, and it works great.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Talking On the lathe also.

Almost as simple as putting a parting off tool on it's edge.
    Put the pulley in the chuck, orient it,and DON'T TURN ON!:nono:
    Just move the carriage left and right and feed it in a bit at a time, like an old shaping machine.

ok, i think i understand that.. so basically i'll be working the quill up and down lots and lots of time, each time cutting just a little bit.. never thought of that..

i can see that working on larger stuff, but what if i need to do one in somethng thats smaller than the lathe bit will fit into?

the other thing that i would wonder about is if i could write some code so that the mill would do this automatically, rather than me standing there working the quill by hand.

ok, i think i understand that.. so basically i'll be working the quill up and down lots and lots of time, each time cutting just a little bit.. never thought of that..

i can see that working on larger stuff, but what if i need to do one in somethng thats smaller than the lathe bit will fit into?

the other thing that i would wonder about is if i could write some code so that the mill would do this automatically, rather than me standing there working the quill by hand.
    In 6061, I can usually take about 0.003" per pass, so it goes quickly. Won't work for very small holes, but I've used it down to about 0.1" keyways in 3/8" holes. To go smaller, you'd probably have to use a shaft that just fits the hole, and move the tool out further for each pass, to avoid the shaft bending as you try to cut. It would obviously take longer, but still work just fine. No reason you could't write some simple G code to do the moves for you.

Regards,
    Ray L.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vxjCEwsQK4&feature=channel_page"]Z Axis Broaching[/ame]
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

leave it to hoss to have a video of what i'm thinking about trying!

see, now that i can do!

and then when it comes to making the keyway in a shaft, i can just mill it in, and i'm done...

so i'm still tryingto figure out what it is that i'm gonna do... and i found this.... i'm really not too sure how to read these specs, specifically where it sais horsepower 1 / .12 or something like that... can someone translate for me? do you think that this would work?

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...tname=electric

or maybe something like this??

so i'm still tryingto figure out what it is that i'm gonna do... and i found this.... i'm really not too sure how to read these specs, specifically where it sais horsepower 1 / .12 or something like that... can someone translate for me? do you think that this would work?

Depends on your intentions for its use. This is an AC motor that can be wired at 2 different speeds 1 hp 3450 rpm and .12 hp at 1725 rpm.

Rick

ohhhh is that what that means... ok, well i'd definately use it on the faster stronger setting....

heres another one i think i like.. i have 220 handy, so this might be the way to go.....

oh no wait... i think i just found it.... run this thing at a pretty high rpm, and gear it down some... hehehe

on ebay:
    120V AC/DC HIGH SPEED ELECTRIC MOTOR 1.5 HP TOOL Item number: 230324097111

ohhhh is that what that means... ok, well i'd definately use it on the faster stronger setting....

heres another one i think i like.. i have 220 handy, so this might be the way to go.....

A 2HP spindle in an X3 would be a little ridiculous. You don't have anywhere near the rigidity required to be able to use that kind of power. I'd guess the stock motor has all the power the rest of the machine can really make use of. It's RPM that's the problem, not power. Also keep in mind on those two-speed motors, you'd need to sequence the power - they MUST be started in low-speed, then switched to high-speed once they're running.

What is the actual motor RPM of the stock X3 motor? On the X2, the motor is 6K RPM, so swapping for another 6K RPM motor accomplishes nothing.

Regards,
    Ray L.

i really dont know what the stock rpm is, if i'm luckey, on sunday i can go out and measure it...

i'm thinking that the last one is the best.. easy to control, and high rpm... i just dont know about thoes bearings in the head.. but i would think that with something like that, one could bypass the gearbox and get after it.

the other thing to think about is that i'm really not needing masive rigidity.. i need rpm, 90% of what i do is with 1/8 endmills and smaller, and taking fairly light cuts, in the neighborhood of .01 to .05DOC

i really dont know what the stock rpm is, if i'm luckey, on sunday i can go out and measure it...

i'm thinking that the last one is the best.. easy to control, and high rpm... i just dont know about thoes bearings in the head.. but i would think that with something like that, one could bypass the gearbox and get after it.

the other thing to think about is that i'm really not needing masive rigidity.. i need rpm, 90% of what i do is with 1/8 endmills and smaller, and taking fairly light cuts, in the neighborhood of .01 to .05DOC
    But why are you trying to change the motor? You need increased RPM for small cutters. Small cutters don't require a lot of power. So, just change the belt on the existing motor to increase the spindle RPM. Maybe put a two-speed belt on, if necessary.

Regards,
    Ray L.

yea, but then i'm still driving the old gearset, and thats just one of the parts i'm worring about.. i could put a couple different pullies on it, or if they will fit, even swap the pullies that are already on there and just see what happens..

so.. whats the plan if the bearings cant handle the speed? or if i figure out that stuff isnt balanced, and i cant get it any more balanced? I have a magnetic balancer, and i have converging wheel balancers, but they can only handle so much weight, and they are only so sensitive...

Smile

Project5k,

Take a look at the Proxxon, it is really nice and very affordable.

You can pick one up for about $110.00, and make a simple mount like the one in the attached PDF.

For small 1/8 end mills you cant beat it.

Jeff...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

now thats nice.. only problem is i would loose usable work area by being off center to the table.. but i guess i could allways make an add on plate.. hmm well if i'm gonna do that, then why wouldnt i just use the 30k rpm router motor that i already have???

Page 2 of 4 1234