Quote Originally Posted by JRoque View Post
Hi. Wow, that was some write up.

My 2.4kW Porter Cable router is a behemoth compared to those motors you mention. It spins at 21K RPM max and at full speed/power it gets bogged down if I dive it in too hard. They all do. And if that Porter Cable gets loaded like that, the motors you mention above will too.

The key ingredient missing from those hobby motors is torque. I seriously doubt they get much useful torque out of that 6.5kW input. Also, it's not easy to get 6.5kW out of a standard outlet. You'll need 220V @ 30A for that. You will also need a spindle with bearings that can take the cutting loads.

If you want to cut oak, your best bet is a wood router like the Porter Cable. It's got lots of torque, an integrated fan and the bearings to do the work. It will be loud and your oak chips will fly everywhere but it'll do it.

JR
Really? How many amps (or watts) is your PC rated for? Do you have it on an extension cord or anything?

You're misusing the term "torque". A hobby motor can most definitely have more torque than a PCR. The system will have peak power limits.

Yeah, you would not get 6.5KW out of a 110v socket. That's only for "reference". In fact, it seems like a DC power supply would itself be limited to around 500W.

A PCR, if I was gonna go that router, I'd go for a Chinese spindle. The noise of a router is just not practical for me.