587,920 active members*
3,559 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Super X3 high speed spindle

Hybrid View

It's alive.... the machine is alive...

Going to order two belts tomorrow. One for the 48 tooth pulley, one for the 60 tooth pulley...

Got the pulleys keyed. $55 for both.. probable at a bit of a favour price (mates rates)... Getting a tray made up $88. So then i can make some sort of enclosure..

Computer is working, Mach 3... going to learn lazycam... Have autocad .. some form of autocad...
    So a fair bit of learning with the Mach 3 and lazycam.... also lots of fixtures / jigs to make..

Hopefully at the end of the week i can post of the differences in speeds with the different pulleys.

Quote Originally Posted by MotoGems View Post
    It's alive.... the machine is alive...

Going to order two belts tomorrow. One for the 48 tooth pulley, one for the 60 tooth pulley...

Got the pulleys keyed. $55 for both.. probable at a bit of a favour price (mates rates)... Getting a tray made up $88. So then i can make some sort of enclosure..

Computer is working, Mach 3... going to learn lazycam... Have autocad .. some form of autocad...
    So a fair bit of learning with the Mach 3 and lazycam.... also lots of fixtures / jigs to make..

Hopefully at the end of the week i can post of the differences in speeds with the different pulleys.

I machined and cut key in my 48 tooth pulley but I ordered the wrong length belt so if a 20mm wide htd 525 5m belt is any good to anyone let me know.
    Refitted my quill with the new bearing set up, it now purrs like a kitten instead of growling like a tom cat I reckon it's half as noisy.
    Top speed with a 48 should be 3840rpm if the motor runs @3600
    Photos of bearing setup in my gallery

Guys
    Yea, I would forget trying to mod the OEM board for the tach. It might not be a huge deal if the MCU code is unprotected (i.e. mod the opcode on the OEM processor), but would be a ton easier to just build or buy an external optical tacho. RC guys use them for tuning helos/fixed wing engines in the field- just an optical counter. They are like $25usd. All you would need to do is provide a couple of timing stripes on the collet holder or on the pulley itself 180deg apart, and hook one of these up. They are accurate to something like 10rpm.

This kind of thing is really easy to make with just a stupid LED/photodetector, and about 20 lines of code in a microcontroller, but add the cost of a display, battery holder, etc, not to mention your time, and the retail version looks a lot better

R