584,862 active members*
5,497 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Super X3 high speed spindle
Page 1 of 2 12

Super X3 high speed spindle

Hello,

I have a super X3 which i want to have a "high speed spindle"
    4000rpm is what i am after.
    Is it just a case of changing the size of the pulleys and the drive belt?
    Anyone know any info to help out is much appreciated.

Ian

Here's a few links to give you an idea, some just swap the pulleys or bypass the gearbox.
    Hoss

UPDATE! Harbor Freight X3 - 2/6/09

b.modderman/beltconversion

Quick Sieg X3 Belt & RPM Upgrade

"high" speed spindle with cad model
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Sorry my friend... those links all look like X3 mills... not Super X3... they are different.. Well mine is here in Australia...
    I'll take another look just to make sure i'm not missing something right in front of my eyes..

Cheers

Ian

Ian
    I have an SX3. I used a pulley conversion to double the spindle RPM (now runs at 3600 max). You could probably secure a different pulley ratio, but the ID on the pulleys is not all that common for whatever reason.

Its an easy upgrade, and you can revert to stock in a couple of minutes if you need more torque for facing etc. I forget where I purchased the pulleys- it might have been Syil...

You may need to cleanup the spindle itelf though- mine shipped with all kinds of crud in it that made it not so happy as the RPM increased. After cleaning it up and employing proper spindle lube, it runs well at 3600, nothing like the racket it produced before, and much cooler. Im sure better bearings would help a lot, but to go with decent ceramics you are looking at something like $300 vs. $70 for stock OEM replacements.

Best
    Rob

Thank you for that.
    I am going to try some local industrial supplies... anything that needs to be machined shouldn't be a problem as i am a fitter and turner...

Hope to get more than 4000rpm out of it... bearings are rated to 5000rpm.
    Oh, I am going to use a locally (Melbourne, Australia) made conversion kit. Should arrive in 4 weeks or so.

Cheers

Ian

This is what i have done so far,

I was able to purchase a 48 tooth and 60 tooth pulley to replace the one (22 tooth) on the motor. I need to machine these up and key them... maybe lighten them also then work out the size of the belt and purchase that.
    I had calculations on how the new pulleys would change the speed but then talking about it to a couple of guys at work i got all confused....
    So, i can borrow a tachometer and check the speeds when the pulleys and belts are finished.
    I will post my resultys.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by MotoGems View Post
    This is what i have done so far,

I was able to purchase a 48 tooth and 60 tooth pulley to replace the one (22 tooth) on the motor. I need to machine these up and key them... maybe lighten them also then work out the size of the belt and purchase that.
    I had calculations on how the new pulleys would change the speed but then talking about it to a couple of guys at work i got all confused....
    So, i can borrow a tachometer and check the speeds when the pulleys and belts are finished.
    I will post my resultys.
    Cheers
    Hi I will be very interested in your results as I'm about to do the same to my super X3 spindle. I also hope to convert to cnc I presume using the same kit you intend to get

I've had my PROMiCA kit for a little over 1 week now.. I only get an hour here or there to fit it all up... all the leadscrews are together and on the machine... just have to rout the wiring and hook it up.... maybe check out a bit of backlash stuff and a few checks....
    The kit is very nice....
    OH, waiting on my pulleys being keyed.... should be done on Monday (so i am told)....
    If i'm finished then i'll just run standard for a week or so..

Syil might have the 5K RPM pulley available, or maybe Novakon. Also, the tach on your SX3 will not read the higher RPM from your new pulley unless you modify it.

CR.

Quote Originally Posted by Crevice Reamer View Post
    Syil might have the 5K RPM pulley available, or maybe Novakon. Also, the tach on your SX3 will not read the higher RPM from your new pulley unless you modify it.

CR.
    Thanks for that finding and modifiying the pulley should not be a prob as I'm a fitter/tuner /welder we even have a set of broaches at workbut the mod on the tach have you or could you point me to more info?

I too have been interested in higher speed for my Super X3 (at least 3000rpm) for some time. I went to Syil and Novakon but could not see anything relating to pulley kits/conversions.
    Definitely would like to put better bearings in there too but I believe re-grinding the spindle taper would be necessary(?) which I can't do. I would at least have a good look and clean o the spindle though. Thanks extrapilot.
    Not sure I could modify pulleys myself since I have no access to a lathe.
    Anyway, are there any links to kits offered for SX3 mills?

Thanks!

sx3 stripped my spindle

I stripped the spindle out of my SX3 to clean it in prep for speed up grade. I found it has a taper roller at the bottom then a single thrust under a deep groove ball bearing which seems a bit odd once I'd measured it. I found I could replace the top pair with a single taper roller better speed rating which is now limited by the bottom taper roller @6300rpm your thoughts are welcome. I did find that the thrust had several discoloured balls

SX3 spindle mod

Received the new bearings for my spindle.Bottom is the standard taper 32907j the top is 32006 taper, this I am using to replace the thrust and standard ball bearing.This mod requires no changes to the spindle or housing
    I will post pics tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Crevice Reamer View Post

CR.
    I was thinking of doing a chart... i can get hold of a tacho gun thingo and say measure 100rpm increments... just write them down... stick a chart up on the wall... most of the time i will be doing engraving, so i'll probably run it top speed...

Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    I too have been interested in higher speed for my Super X3 (at least 3000rpm) for some time. I went to Syil and Novakon but could not see anything relating to pulley kits/conversions.
    Definitely would like to put better bearings in there too but I believe re-grinding the spindle taper would be necessary(?) which I can't do. I would at least have a good look and clean o the spindle though. Thanks extrapilot.
    Not sure I could modify pulleys myself since I have no access to a lathe.
    Anyway, are there any links to kits offered for SX3 mills?

Thanks!
    I got my kit in Melbourne, Australia... the link is

http://www.cnckits.com.au/index.php

It has a link to the American dealer.....

I've got all my kit together... just need to build a "fish tank".... and get the computer working.... few probs with a computer... but should sort it out this week...

Spindle photos

I was thinking of doing a chart... i can get hold of a tacho gun thingo and say measure 100rpm increments... just write them down... stick a chart up on the wall... most of the time i will be doing engraving, so i'll probably run it top speed...
    I was talking to a elec tech that contracts to us (programming plc's on some of our machines)about modifying standard tacho he said it could be expensive He suggested mounting a sensor to count rev's of the spindle pulley, I need to get some more info off him but it should be easy
    Here are pics of spindle upgrade,
    http://www.cnczone.com/gallery/showg...&ppuser=161064

It's alive.... the machine is alive...

Going to order two belts tomorrow. One for the 48 tooth pulley, one for the 60 tooth pulley...

Got the pulleys keyed. $55 for both.. probable at a bit of a favour price (mates rates)... Getting a tray made up $88. So then i can make some sort of enclosure..

Computer is working, Mach 3... going to learn lazycam... Have autocad .. some form of autocad...
    So a fair bit of learning with the Mach 3 and lazycam.... also lots of fixtures / jigs to make..

Hopefully at the end of the week i can post of the differences in speeds with the different pulleys.

It's alive.... the machine is alive...

Going to order two belts tomorrow. One for the 48 tooth pulley, one for the 60 tooth pulley...

Got the pulleys keyed. $55 for both.. probable at a bit of a favour price (mates rates)... Getting a tray made up $88. So then i can make some sort of enclosure..

Computer is working, Mach 3... going to learn lazycam... Have autocad .. some form of autocad...
    So a fair bit of learning with the Mach 3 and lazycam.... also lots of fixtures / jigs to make..

Hopefully at the end of the week i can post of the differences in speeds with the different pulleys.

I machined and cut key in my 48 tooth pulley but I ordered the wrong length belt so if a 20mm wide htd 525 5m belt is any good to anyone let me know.
    Refitted my quill with the new bearing set up, it now purrs like a kitten instead of growling like a tom cat I reckon it's half as noisy.
    Top speed with a 48 should be 3840rpm if the motor runs @3600
    Photos of bearing setup in my gallery

Guys
    Yea, I would forget trying to mod the OEM board for the tach. It might not be a huge deal if the MCU code is unprotected (i.e. mod the opcode on the OEM processor), but would be a ton easier to just build or buy an external optical tacho. RC guys use them for tuning helos/fixed wing engines in the field- just an optical counter. They are like $25usd. All you would need to do is provide a couple of timing stripes on the collet holder or on the pulley itself 180deg apart, and hook one of these up. They are accurate to something like 10rpm.

This kind of thing is really easy to make with just a stupid LED/photodetector, and about 20 lines of code in a microcontroller, but add the cost of a display, battery holder, etc, not to mention your time, and the retail version looks a lot better

R

OK, here are my results...

With a 48 tooth pulley part # ST48-5M-25 $48.65 and a HTD475-5M-20 Belt $26.50 i got top speed of.....3846 RPM.... showing 1800 rpm on the digital readout of the machine....

With the 60 tooth pulley part # ST60-5M-25 $ 60.30 and a HTD500-5M-20 belt $27.50 i got a top speed of 4810 RPM... very noisy though....

Prices are Australian dollars, from a local industrial supplies place...
    I will be doing a xcel spreadsheet of RPM in 200rpm increments to put up on the wall behind the machine... i will try to do an attatchment on the forum of this also...

Hope this info has helped other people also..

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12