It is very interesting to read that somebody would like to start from zero :-) I left my job and I started from zero 1.5 years ago with moulds for plastic industry in mind! :-) I still now can't produce moulds... and probably I never will produce them.
I made a lot of mistekes and therefore I would like to share my "expensive" expierience with you.
It is not my advise, just my opinion about thinks "from zero"!
Here is some points what is important (at least from my point of view):
0. Don't hurry!
1. You MUST have CLEAR vision about products what you will produce or service what you will provide. Buy nothing unless you will know what are you going to do! Otherwise it will cost you a lot of $$$. Remember - good tool cost a lot of money!
Here is working formula: more time you invest in point N#1 - less expenses later!
2. You must read all books what you can find about metalworking ... metals, metal properties, difference between metals, heat treatment, tool grinding, tools, working speeds, etc. Learn working techniques- one task can be made in different ways! (I am not speeking about 20 pages newspapers "how to mill ..." etc.) Discuss with professionals, don't hesitate to ask questions: no question->no answer! Find friends between them - for you it is more than Gold (specially tool makers with practice more than 20 years, their head is like National library)!
3. Premises. You must have clear vision about them: what you have now and what you will do when your business will grow
4. Electricity. What kind of electricity do you have (bigger mills and lathes will use 3 phases and you can't feed 10-20kw lathe or mill with 1->3 phase converter).
5. Also note, if you are going to compete with other professionals lathe and mill is only beginning :-) But that is for shure that main workbench is lathe and then mill.
6. Lathe & mill. It will be clear for you what kind of lathe and mill to buy when you will answer to yourself on point 1. With mills and lathes like Tige you can produce only small(!) parts and your market will be very limited. Again, it depend on your market and target product, maybe Tige is more than enough!

All for now!
Success in your business!

Regards,
Oscar

p.s. I think that for you very important is point N#1, other will follow!