Quote Originally Posted by jjlee32 View Post
Hey Friends,

- Make sure the equipment is protected in the case of surges or large current spikes
I needed the power strip to power other 120V things like a compressor for the pneumatics on the head and the touch screen display/ RPi I am using to run LCNC.

Thanks again
Maybe N.A. practices are not perfect, but when I transitioned from General industrial electronics to the inception of CNC control and retro-fits etc, some being custom PC based, Galil etc, and getting in to CNC control panel building, I looked around for a decent reference and found NFPA79, for DIY, you don't have to follow the NEC part of it, but as to earth bonding and grounding etc and other circuit practices, schematic and panel layout, it came in very useful.
The difference between an Industrial retro-fit package is that, everything is made by one Manuf. and designed to mesh together, with the onset of DIY, parts and devices are most often obtained from various sources, and also often each of these sources specify isolation etc, Device protection maybe?
But in all of my custom designs, I used the practice of earth ground all power supply commons, never had a spurious LS tripping, compared to several reports a week at one time in this forum from those that chose the contrary isolation method .!
On the subject of breakers, N.A. is slowly following the European practice of using the safety relay as a breaker,
Ensure that each of the outlets on the power strip feed a suitably sized protection device for each unit..