587,646 active members*
2,888 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: X axis is off center

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    been doing it a minimum 5 days a week for over 30 yrs , never been a problem
    And probably of those 30years you wasted about 5years of your life just with doing setups, may be more, probing is more accurate and save time materials and is affordable to everyone
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    probing is more accurate and save time materials and is affordable to everyone
    it would be far more accurate than a piece of plastic.

You seem to have a know it all way about you and become unreasonable and belittling when someone disagrees with you .
    Hundreds of thousands if not millions of machinists use that method .
    Seeing as you are so hellbent against that method I have to assume you've tried it and failed miserably , the key words I used was common sense . If a person doesn't have common sense and or proper motor skills then the block or pin method may not be the right method for them , at which a piece of plastic might be a pathetic alternative , or even a piece of rubber may suffice to certain skill levels

it would be far more accurate than a piece of plastic.

You seem to have a know it all way about you and become unreasonable and belittling when someone disagrees with you .
    Hundreds of thousands if not millions of machinists use that method .
    Seeing as you are so hellbent against that method I have to assume you've tried it and failed miserably , the key words I used was common sense . If a person doesn't have common sense and or proper motor skills then the block or pin method may not be the right method for them , at which a piece of plastic might be a pathetic alternative , or even a piece of rubber may suffice to certain skill levels
    I have not disagreed with any method anyone uses, so why the fuss (chair)

Fail at doing this you have to be kidding (nuts)

If you think many people use your method today, you are mistaken, since probing systems have been available for more than 20 years, even most hobby users have them and use them, you are still stuck in your 30 year mentality going nowhere, keep rolling the dowel
    Mactec54

I have not disagreed with any method anyone uses, so why the fuss (chair)
    No matter how you do it, there is still metal to metal contact and some damage will happen to the cutter especially if your cutter is carbide, HSS is a little more forgiving
    I don't want to muddy this thread any further and I'm done after this , but is the above not disagreeing , or the dump you took on cadcam and his teaching skills ?

you can make assumptions of another man's capabilities , except any assumption will probably be a fools assumption

I don't want to muddy this thread any further and I'm done after this , but is the above not disagreeing , or the dump you took on cadcam and his teaching skills ?

you can make assumptions of another man's capabilities , except any assumption will probably be a fools assumption
    Are no it is not disagreeing with anything, it's just a statement saying what happens when you use this method, which is known throughout the industry, this is not something I came up with or even care about

I do know one thing, that this method you use is primitive and in efficient for todays standards, For under $500 gets you a 3D probe that can work with any machine

Everything you have posted is not relevant to this thread, this is not about you and what you do or can do (nuts)

The Op started this thread and wanted help with his probing and work setup, not about you what you do or your method
    Mactec54