587,613 active members*
4,624 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Spindle Recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by fretman_2 View Post
    Looking like I made a proper decision to stick with the RT0701C as a spindle for now. It's a little noisy, but I always use hearing protection anyway. I'm not sure I have 25A available to my shop.
    I feel you. It seems that having a proper spindle is a bit complicated; considering the potential programming issues, electrical wiring associated with it and changing to a 25A breaker on my house elec panel. Meanwhile the router is plug and play but has its limitation to higher reps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Par View Post
    I feel you. It seems that having a proper spindle is a bit complicated; considering the potential programming issues, electrical wiring associated with it and changing to a 25A breaker on my house elec panel. Meanwhile the router is plug and play but has its limitation to higher reps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Parameter setting and wiring is very straight forward I have parameter setups for more than 60 different VFD Drives for these spindles

If you have trouble with finding a suitable VFD Drive you can use a step up Transformer 120v to 240v 3000W which some have done then they use a standard 220/240v VFD Drive and spindle

So for around $70 for the Transformer you can have what you need to drive a 220/240v VFD Drive
    Mactec54

Thanks for the additional alternative, Mactec.
    What would be the difference in performance between the recommended option being:
    25breaker at the breaker box + VFD 110 in and 220 out 2.2kW + 220v 1.5kw spindle
    To:
    Wiring a 220v outlet + VFD 220v 2.2kW + 220V 1.5kw spindle
    Would it be the same or very slightly better the 220V?
    Sorry for the lack of technical terminology to define “better”

Thanks for the additional alternative, Mactec.
    What would be the difference in performance between the recommended option being:
    25breaker at the breaker box + VFD 110 in and 220 out 2.2kW + 220v 1.5kw spindle
    To:
    Wiring a 220v outlet + VFD 220v 2.2kW + 220V 1.5kw spindle
    Would it be the same or very slightly better the 220V?
    Sorry for the lack of technical terminology to define “better”
    Adding a new Circuit would be the best option if you can do it, Make it a 30A Circuit 4 wire which then gives you the ability to have 120/240v from the same circuit
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Adding a new Circuit would be the best option if you can do it, Make it a 30A Circuit 4 wire which then gives you the ability to have 120/240v from the same circuit
    Would this set up: 30A at 220v would give me the opportunity to power all my electrical needs?
    From the same 220v circuit, 220v would go for the spindle and 120v would go for the spindle water pump, vacuum and controller box where all the PSUs are.
    There was a different post that mentioned this set-up as being unbalanced. Is that bad?
    The alternative is have two different circuits: one 220v 15A for the spindle and a separate 120v for the other components

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Would this set up: 30A at 220v would give me the opportunity to power all my electrical needs?
    From the same 220v circuit, 220v would go for the spindle and 120v would go for the spindle water pump, vacuum and controller box where all the PSUs are.
    There was a different post that mentioned this set-up as being unbalanced. Is that bad?
    The alternative is have two different circuits: one 220v 15A for the spindle and a separate 120v for the other components

I ran one circuit for 120 volt for the control side and used a 30 amp 240 volt to feed my spindle VFD. You could run 4 wire 240 volt and split off the 120 volt with a neutral wire. Most shops are not wired that way to the 240 volt outlets however. You must run a white or neutral wire and a green equipment ground from your panel and not tie into the green for your neutral. That was banned years ago. Exceptions are for the old style electric stoves.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

It's never a good idea to use 2 different circuits to supply power to a machine, it can be done but you have to be careful how it is wired as you can only use ( 1 ) Ground to the machine for both circuits or you will create a Ground loop

15A 240v would never be big enough for your spindle, 30A circuit minimum, unbalanced is a figment of peoples imagination, there can be some unbalanced situation,s but you would never notice anything with a machine like a CNC Router
    Mactec54

Assuming you go with a single 240v, 4-wire circuit, you can limit the imbalance by branching off 2 120v circuits (1 between each live and neutral. Make sure to use a <= 15A breaker or fuse on each live.) Then try to distribute your 120v loads across the 2 sub-circuits. Probably best to have the vacuum on one and everything else on the other.

It is by far better too Power a machine from a single feeder.

If you need 120VAC you can run the neutral wire that the machine. Supply proper breakers for any sub circuits.

Realize that it is fairly easy to find 220 VAC devices like pumps and power supplies for auxiliary equipment.

As for balanced power it is good practice to try to keep the loads balance but this is never perfect in a home. Just imagine how unbalanced you home wiring is when you turn on the microwave.

It is only unbalanced if you don’t take the effort to apply the loads evenly to the two legs of the supply.

That isn’t a good idea at all.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    It is by far better too Power a machine from a single feeder.

If you need 120VAC you can run the neutral wire that the machine. Supply proper breakers for any sub circuits.

Realize that it is fairly easy to find 220 VAC devices like pumps and power supplies for auxiliary equipment.

As for balanced power it is good practice to try to keep the loads balance but this is never perfect in a home. Just imagine how unbalanced you home wiring is when you turn on the microwave.

It is only unbalanced if you don’t take the effort to apply the loads evenly to the two legs of the supply.

After being an electrician nearly all my life and having the credentials , I can tell you the advice I gave is correct. You can have more than one voltage source feeding a machine legally and safely if done correctly as I noted. We did it all the time, as I described Taking your 120 volts off the 30 amp 240 volt feed to the spindle means you now need to run a #10 wire for the neutral.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post

The USA supply is 120v / 240v not 220v

Unbalanced 240v supply has no affect on anything

The power you draw from L1 can be the max current up to the rated wires capacity or the Breaker in that circuit it has no affect on L2 they are ( 2 ) separate cables from the transformer, the transformer does not care, you can load either L1 or L2 any way you want with no affect to anything

They only try to balance the circuits in residential because a lot don't have that much amperage to play with, so splitting the load on L1 A Breaker and L2 B Breaker is a normal thing to do, it's not because it has to be done like this
    Mactec54

It takes X watts (746) to make one Hp no matter if it comes from 120 or 240 volts. Transformers have losses so its not free ride stepping up from 120 to 240 VAC. There are losses also in a VFD or Inverter when going from single phase to three phase.

Single phase 240 volt Motors do not require a neutral wire. You only need two hot wires and a equipment ground.

Higher voltage for a given load in kW lets you use smaller wire size. Three phase is more efficient at running a motor as it does not require capacitors or starting devices.

https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/...p-to-watt.html

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    It takes X watts (746) to make one Hp no matter if it comes from 120 or 240 volts. Transformers have losses so its not free ride stepping up from 120 to 240 VAC. There are losses also in a VFD or Inverter when going from single phase to three phase.

Single phase 240 volt Motors do not require a neutral wire. You only need two hot wires and a equipment ground.

Higher voltage for a given load in kW lets you use smaller wire size. Three phase is more efficient at running a motor as it does not require capacitors or starting devices.

https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/...p-to-watt.html
    But it requires twice the amps to achieve the same 746watts, on the different voltages, that's elementary level math V(V) = P(W) / I(A) the Amp requirement it what is different, between using 120v and 240v, as for a transformer you always size a transformer to eliminate any loss there might be

This is the difference

120v @ 746w= 6.2 amps

240v @ 746w=3.1 amps
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    But it requires twice the amps to achieve the same 746watts, on the different voltages, that's elementary level math V(V) = P(W) / I(A) the Amp requirement it what is different, between using 120v and 240v, as for a transformer you always size a transformer to eliminate any loss there might be

This is the difference

120v @ 746w= 6.2 amps

240v @ 746w=3.1 amps
    Watts are the same, therefore Hp rating is the same. Wattage is the measure of work performed. Wire size is based on amp draw. All transformers have losses.... look it up. All pretty basic stuff.

https://www.copper.org/environment/s...ns_losses.html

https://www.electricaleasy.com/2014/...fficiency.html