587,702 active members*
3,399 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > nm145 - mach3, or 4, or linuxcnc or PP?

Hybrid View

Re: nm145 - mach3, or 4, or linuxcnc or PP?

thanks Brian! Research here tells me mesa 5i25/6i25 card depending on slot type. Just read another post here though saying Tormach is no longer selling PP on their site? So us non Tormach owners are out of luck?

Quote Originally Posted by t300 View Post
    thanks Brian! Research here tells me mesa 5i25/6i25 card depending on slot type. Just read another post here though saying Tormach is no longer selling PP on their site? So us non Tormach owners are out of luck?
    Not sure I heard mixed opinions on this.

I bought mine legit last yr but it may be around in other less legit places

Quote Originally Posted by t300 View Post
    I heard this too but as right now, it's still available on the Tormach site. PP is just linuxCNC with some tailoring for Tormach-specific products so if you're after a stable platform, there's the way to go if PP gets difficult to aquire. In either case, there's a fair bit of programming/setup that needs to be done to get either to talk to your machine.

The Mach products have massive support available and if you've been using it, that might be the fastest way to getting up and running. It's flaky though largely because it runs under WIndows and all the background stuff going on means if you haven't had problems, you will. My router still occasionally stops in the middle of a run with no indication why. I've learned to breakup my projects into little chunks of code so I don't have to start from scratch to recover.

I have 7 machines running a mix of M3, LinuxCNC and PP. M3 will throw you a surprise now and then, I wont use it on anything valuable or time laden but on the CNC router its OK. LinuxCNC runs my lathe and laser cutter. PathPilot on my Tormach 1100.. those are rock-solid stable and reliable. I had one 3 hours run on the mill that was so stable I dozed off while watching it and had a nice 2 hour nap

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPlaneDoc View Post
    I heard this too but as right now, it's still available on the Tormach site. )
    I'll call them later today but doesn't appear to be. The link to purchase their PP Restore DVD requires a valid tormach SN and their FAQ says

7. Can I get PathPilot for my non-Tormach machine?

PathPilot upgrade kits are intended for Tormach Machine Controllers only. At this time we are not offering PathPilot for use with third party machines, converted mills, or homemade CNC machines.

https://www.tormach.com/pathpilot.ht...nmachine-owner

Either way I just ordered a Mesa 5i25 so if I can't get PP then I'll try LinuxCNC