587,917 active members*
3,533 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Ironhorse Motors - Opinions? (G0704 Motor Upgrade)

Hybrid View

Re: Ironhorse Motors - Opinions? (G0704 Motor Upgrade)

Quote Originally Posted by lcvette View Post
    I would suggest this, russtuff and myself both bought one and you will not find a better deal for a true inverter duty treated motor with 1000:1 constant torque rating and it's supplied with an encoder attached. Couple it with a Durapulse GS3 22P0 VFD with feed back card and you can run it in full vector feedback mode. This is by far an absolute crap of the century for a new inverter motor. Regular retail on these is over $1k.

Marathon Y284 1.5 HP Electric Motor at Dealers Electric

It is only a few bucks more than an ironhorse for a lot more motor, and no need for a Baldor down the road!

Chris

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk
    Interesting, says it's only rated @ 1800RPM. What pulley arrangement are you using and what's the max RPM you can get with your spindle ?
    Inner Vision Development Corp. - http://www.ivdc.com
    Website Design & Development. Shopping Carts, SEO and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Connor View Post
    Interesting, says it's only rated @ 1800RPM. What pulley arrangement are you using and what's the max RPM you can get with your spindle ?
    It's an inverter duty motor, the base rpm rating is always listed at 60hz. The operating range of the motor is 0rpm to 5400rpm max, the most efficient operating range is from 2hz to 120hz which is 1.7rpm to 3600rpm. You would pulley it accordingly for your machine requirements. I'm using mine on a lathe so it will have a 1:1 pulley and a 2:1 pulley for turning small and large diameter parts.

It's an inverter duty motor, the base rpm rating is always listed at 60hz. The operating range of the motor is 0rpm to 5400rpm max, the most efficient operating range is from 2hz to 120hz which is 1.7rpm to 3600rpm. You would pulley it accordingly for your machine requirements. I'm using mine on a lathe so it will have a 1:1 pulley and a 2:1 pulley for turning small and large diameter parts.

Wow, thats a deal. I really am set on the 3600 rpm motor though, I'd rather be hitting 3600RPM at 60HZ with room to overfreq it than max it out from the get go.

Wonder if they have a 3600rpm version.

EDIT: I looked, what do you think of this guy? Baldor CSSSWDM3550T 1.5 HP Electric Motor at Dealers Electric

Quote Originally Posted by DubMFG View Post
    Wow, thats a deal. I really am set on the 3600 rpm motor though, I'd rather be hitting 3600RPM at 60HZ with room to overfreq it than max it out from the get go.

Wonder if they have a 3600rpm version.
    I don't think you'll have much luck finding an inverter duty motor with 3600rpm. Ideally the lower rpm is better and you simply overdrive it with a 1:2 pulley combination. The higher rpm motor have half the torque as the low rpm motors so over driving is easier on the motor bearings without any loss of torque or horsepower.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I don't think you'll have much luck finding an inverter duty motor with 3600rpm. Ideally the lower rpm is better and you simply overdrive it with a 1:2 pulley combination. The higher rpm motor have half the torque as the low rpm motors so over driving is easier on the motor bearings without any loss of torque or horsepower.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Oh, well thanks for that tidbit of info, I really appreciate it! The encoder is a nice touch as well.

The downside is even with a 2:1 ratio on the pulley I would need 5:1 to get over 10k rpm, unless I overfreq the **** out of it.