587,386 active members*
3,590 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > LinuxCNC (formerly EMC2) > Questions about LinuxCNC and its main advantages
Page 3 of 4 1234

Re: Questions about LinuxCNC and its main advantages

I hope all of you understand that this is addressed to the lazy ones complaining about non valid reasons and trying to avoid any effort to get the end result, ultimately bragging to their friends that they did something .......................you get the point.
    You basically just lumped everyone in one basket.

I can tell you, you got it all wrong!
    I read a lot. Everyday, including on my days off. 99% technical papers and manuals. I'm an engineer, a business owner and manufacturer. The GUI I showed here runs with an AdLink PCI8134A, an industrial motion control card, which I programmed (ie: I wrote the Gui's source code in C++).
    I never said I was looking for something ready made and that I wasn't willing to learn.
    So I can show my friends? I only have two of them and they are into fishing and hunting which I also enjoy when I have time.

Lazy?

My a**.

my God for real if some reads something they will find how to do something. you have not read what I have said at all, if it's something that is there, it is easy if it not there it's hard. is info available on every single board and machine that can be use with linuxcnc in the manual or software no with what is there it is now as of 2.7 easy as what I have said a lot.
    now if a person is bad with computers and hardware they need to ask questions don't they most of the time it's just checking something they are not sure of, if it's in the manual would it be good to say that is covered in the manual, as the saying goes there are no stupid questions only stupid answers. and getting told to go away and do the work your self is the same as F OFF.
    it's a good thing that people like samco are around, last time I got a machine running I only did it because I had a nice person I could ask a question I did not have to ask anything as the manual had been updated with 2.7 and the info for the hardware was all ready there so it was nice's and simple.

so how do you go about connecting a BOB that is not in the list of per configured boards and this board use's a Ethernet connection, and is not tide to any software and you are bad with computer's and Hardware and don't like wiring, but you have used manual equipment all your life. and you would like to get into CNC but know nothing about it.
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have read every sentence of what you wrote and that is my exact point. You blend everything together and talk about things that are only true for a minority of potential users, ignoring what the average user can do. You focus all of your attention on the poor guys that are not good at computers at all when they are a very small part of the CNC community.

So lets go post by post from this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by daniellyall View Post
    linuxcnc Is good if you have one off the nice linuxcnc guys helping if you don't know it at all, it will be fine, but if you get one of the not nice's linuxcnc person's well it turns to crap fast.

have a look on there web site it has a list of what's good to go out of the box and it will be easy as to do 1 Hour and it will be running. if you don't you have to change stuff, I would advise hitting up samco or olfcnc they are on the nice list if you get one of the Ahole it will be very hard.

tommylight may be a nice one two most of the linuxcnc guys that post on cnczone are.
    That first paragraph says that if you don't get a nice LinuxCNC guru to help you then you should give up right now. In your words it "turns to crap fast." Very encouraging for a someone interested in LinuxCNC. On top of that it isn't true. I have not posted much in LinuxCNC forums much (because I didn't have any troubles), but when I have posted, I have not received any negative responses.

So lets talk about stepper control. What parallel port BOB is pre-configured in LinuxCNC? None that I know of. You say that unless you use preconfigured hardware the setup will be hard. So since the parallel port BOBs aren’t preconfigured then according to what you said it is going to be impossible to set them up without help. Maybe that isn’t what you meant, but that is how someone is going to read it.

linuxcnc if the gui and set up was dumbed down it would have a lot more user's, the average hobby person linuxcnc is to hard.
    A non linuxCNC user that reads this post and interprets it as the GUI and setup is too hard and needs to be dumbed down, inferring that an average user will have problems with it. Again, no mention that steppers are easy and Mesa cards have a wizard too. Nothing to tell the reader that the basics are easy, just a catch all that the GUI and install suck. Which they do not.

Someone reads that and it immediately gives the impression that they can’t do it, when I contend they can.

109jb some people are not good at using any type of OS, as I said with something what was all ready there it was a hour, it was basic as mud. if it's not there and you are rubbish at using computers life is going to be hard that is a simple fact you can not argue that.

it takes me 30 mins to get a machine running on mach3 or 4 if I know the pinout that's all you need to know the rest is not hard at all. done it a few times.

I have gotten a machine running on something else now that was 10 mins to get going I did not even have to set any pins it did it self now that's what linuxcnc should aim for other wise when this program is up and running people will have two free cnc programs one that you just plug in and wire up, one if you are ok with computers you may be ok.
    Like I said, why are you focusing your posts to people who are “rubbish at using computers”? Is everyone who is trying LinuxCNC rubbish at using computers. Your posts make it seem that way. And this mention about “some people are not good at any OS”. If they aren't good at any OS then the OS shouldn’t have a anything to do about it then should it. This is especially true since they don’t have to do anything with the OS. I wish you would quit mentioning the OS stuff. The OS is the simplest part of the whole LinuxCNC install because it is totally automated. Users only have to use the OS, they don’t have to modify or know anything about the OS except how to start a program. If they can’t do it in Linux then they must not be able to do it in Windows either.

About that part I put in bold text. So in Mach3 you only need to know the pinout. Well guess what!!! That’s all you need to know in LinuxCNC too, but I don’t see you mention that anywhere. You just leave the impression that mach3 is much easier.

we are not talking about you we are talking about the user's that are bad at using computers any OS some people are rely bad at anything to do with any computer, to people like that any thing is hard, if it is straight forward they may be ok, but if they don't have one of the pre configered board and are not using pp they will have a hard time. wont they.

it may be easy for you but a section of the DIY lot it is hard even mach is hard for them, but with mach 99% of the time you will get help and not some Ahole.
    No you aren’t talking about me. You are talking about a minority of people but making it seem like the majority will have problems. The way you portray it everyone is bad at computers. Again, why are you directing your posts only at people bad at computers???????????

What about the AVRERAGE computer user?

my God for real if some reads something they will find how to do something. you have not read what I have said at all, if it's something that is there, it is easy if it not there it's hard. is info available on every single board and machine that can be use with linuxcnc in the manual or software no with what is there it is now as of 2.7 easy as what I have said a lot.
    now if a person is bad with computers and hardware they need to ask questions don't they most of the time it's just checking something they are not sure of, if it's in the manual would it be good to say that is covered in the manual, as the saying goes there are no stupid questions only stupid answers. and getting told to go away and do the work your self is the same as F OFF.
    it's a good thing that people like samco are around, last time I got a machine running I only did it because I had a nice person I could ask a question I did not have to ask anything as the manual had been updated with 2.7 and the info for the hardware was all ready there so it was nice's and simple.

so how do you go about connecting a BOB that is not in the list of per configured boards and this board use's a Ethernet connection, and is not tide to any software and you are bad with computer's and Hardware and don't like wiring, but you have used manual equipment all your life. and you would like to get into CNC but know nothing about it.
    I stand by what I have said. An average user can install and set up a stepper controlled LinuxCNC install without problem. Something you barely touch on and overshadow with all the doom and gloom talk.

LinuxCNC is so configurable that the options are endless, BUT the most popular options are very well supported in the documentation. All of the Mesa products are aslso supported by the PNCConf wizard, which is what 90% of the non-parallel port users will opt for anyway..

People read posts like the ones made in this thread and it turns them away from linuxCNC for inferior solutions because they believe that it is too hard, and you keep saying it over and over

so funny the G540 you connect up select it as what you are using check the pins and done, and steps and acc that's it done simple as mud. how do I know I did it.
    there are quite a few boards that you can select as what you are using and this is simple as mud to do like the messa boards what come with some very friendly back up, how do I know that I read it.

you can stand by what you said for the average you are correct.

what is wrong with talking about the user's that will need a lot of help A. you have a go over me saying about the bad attitude of some linuxcnc user's and the user's that need a lot of help why is this so wrong. almost every post I have said it is easy with what is available there in the program. it is it's on the list of boards you can use on the linuxcnc site there is a lot of good info there for those boards and in the manual.

if it is a board that has not been used before is it easy or hard to set up for a person who has only used a windows os when you need to set your spindle up as it can do tapping as well as being a spindle.

now you have only said about the bad in my posts why not the nice things I have said about a couple of the linux guys.

so here is the hardware page with most of the boards that work with linuxcnc LinuxCNC Documentation Wiki: LinuxCNC Supported Hardware.

then when loading up linuxcnc stick a disk in click click done, correct or not. this bit easy as.

so we get the manual for 2.7 and look on this page http://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/ge...-linuxcnc.html and what do we see some nice pre configurations what is step 2 nice and simple A. these give all the info need for those configurations ( I said it wrong it's configurations not pre configured boards my bad I was wrong) this makes setting up these boards or boards with the same pin out easy as mud to do for all most everyone.

so now back to the questions if you can not find any configurations like what your hardware has what now, you ask on the forum and you may get a nice person or not but if reading through this there is a couple of names of people that I have said that are nice, so you go on the forum get a bad response you think rude words, then you rember there was someone saying these guys are nice people so you track them down and ask your question all of the sudden your back on track right.

or you get a nice's person on the forum and it's all good they say go look at 4.5 in the manual it has what you need or they walk you through it, so everyone happy.

but there is still that risk that you will get a bad response like what I did over a yes no question what got that person a big rude word.

now we think what, that it can be done by most some will need a lot of help there is nice and bad on the forum it's a risk, and most boards there is configurations you can use so easy as with this.

now if you wont go ask admin to remove any post I made that is fine I am cool with that, I will help the people that suck at anything non manual by pointing them where they need to go.

live long and prosper

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I like your conversation i think ist is more like liking Music or Girls some like Tall and blond others Young others big whatever and if you Fond what you like you stay with it
    I used old Bridgeport haidenhain mach3 winnc pc and linuxcnc of course i came to Same conclusion like tormach (but much earlier ) so the inside is superior and like Girls Can dress up if they like Same is with gui and if you like her in Rubber Boots ( g Code only ) because she loves you she will wear Them For you As Well ,.. Peace

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Oh well, this is getting to be ......long !!!
    There are some nice and useful posts here, but some are getting off topic.
    So let's go back to the topic, and to do that i will post things i like and dislike for LinuxCnc only since that was the original posters question.

-I like the Open Source framework, for the most part in recent history it has proven to be much more useful than proprietary stuff.
    -The ability to modify it to any of my needs
    -Constant updates and improvements
    -A large user base and community
    -a lot of different GUI's to chose from, making a new one is about a days work
    -support for a lot of hardware, way to long of a list to mention here
    -support for any other hardware not supported by default, requires about a week or two of work
    -kinematics for any machine imaginable
    -programmable components to fit any procedure, work flow, task etc
    -several step types so driving 2, 3, 4 or 5 phase stepper motors with simple electronics
    -P.I.D. loop built in so driving servo motors with just an H-bridge and encoders connected to parallel port
    -cheap PCI cards for adapting and connecting even the kitchen sink ( really )
    -expandability ( up to 7 Parallel ports can be added to a single computer, so 84 outputs and 35 inputs, and even that can be programmed to 91 inputs and 28 outputs )

The list goes on and on

I do not like:
    -To many people arguing, not enough people actually doing something to improve or modify it to his or her needs.

I have the utmost respect and gratitude for the developers and maintainers of LinuxCnc, it is for all intents and purposes, the ultimate machine controller, not just for CNC.
    I work with Fanuc, Kuka robots, CNC machines of many types on daily basis, and i absolutely love the software they use. LinuxCNC is not for just one type of machine, it is flexible and adaptable to almost any machine, so it absolutely deserves the effort it takes to learn to edit, modify, program, adjust...etc etc.

I almost forgot to add that it can control 9 axis simultaneously, plus any number of sensors, switches, relays, solenoids etc.

-a lot of different GUI's to chose from, making a new one is about a days work
    Tommy, whatever. Although much of what you wrote is true, the quoted statement above is not true. Not that easy.
    Listen, I'm not going to argue with you.
    The reason I wanted to learn and use LinuxCNC was so that I wouldn't have to write a whole motion controller software package, when LinuxCNC being open source and free, was already made.
    It however is a challenge for me.

As to the others here, I can't speak for them.

Maybe for you it's simple. But' I think your talk is cheap. If it was that easy, why can you not tell me how to do it. Afterall if it's so easy, which I take as simple, show us with very short tutorial.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting to do this, so you'd be helping a bunch of us.

Show me your one day GUI. If you can make it look like the pic I posted I'll be very surprised and my apologies to you.

Close enough, already included with LinuxCnc.
    I do understand that making a new GUI is not that simple, although for me it is since i have plenty of experience in coding from assembler to PHP, but i have never done visual_________anything, and i have made a simpler version of AXIS some years ago using JT tutorial, took me all of 3 hours, but continued using the original AXIS for all of it's worth.
    I have done several tutorials concerning LinuxCnc, some are posted here, but i am not good at it, i tend to skip on a lot of details, that is why i refrain myself from it. I have also some tutorials for plasma cutters, namely connecting older plasma cutters to PROMA elektronika THC, floating head, stone engraving, but i personally think they are not good, usable yes, but not good. There are plenty of users who do a perfect job on tutorials.
    I am also aware that for doing a GUI you need to install other packages in Linux, and i know that on some rare occasions that does not go as planed, so it ends up requiring way more than a day, i also know that time is scarce and most of us would rather have things ready made so we can move on to doing actual work.
    So i do understand your point of view and your frustration.
    Also people are different, some do not like some things, others do, as Tkamsker explained, but i do like to make things, i do like to build machines, and i do, but i do not like using those same machines for actual work as much. I have a cnc plasma cutter, a cnc micro mill, a cnc router, and a cnc engraver currently collecting dust in my workshop. This is to show that i like doing complicated things, not simple ones. I am an electronics engineer and a computer networks and hardware expert, simple is just not exiting for me.

Regards,
    Tom

Close enough, already included with LinuxCnc.
    Not even close, but hey enough already.

We're getting nowhere going back and forth like this.

It works good for you and that's all that really matters.

Have a great day!

Tkamsker yes and yes, I like any controller that does what I need it does not matter what it is, if it works it gold, Linuxcnc worked for me to some twat drop the computer and broke it, o well, Mach3 it's a dead product what am i moving to not sure M4 not finished that's a no for me unless it does 3D better than M3 so I don't need to change hardware not yet, Linuxcnc Maybe UCCNC it is higher on the list the other open sources one I am playing with maybe.

what I like about linuxcnc if a config is there and has all your function easy as, setup once and done. (for me only) and it was easy as with linuxcnc 2.7 the docs are good for 2.7. and nice pick for people that are bad with computers.

the bad all ready said that but that can be reduced

UCCNC some hard core dudes that help everyone and anyone.

Mach4 same as UCCNC.

would I suggest any one of them no, I would suggest all of them yes why you don't know what flavor you like to you try them all.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tommy and deny i think you Both are Right mach3 is a dead product but works For a lot of People Here the arguing was Most on ui stuff where it is most about what People are used to or like ,..
    Right now i am training an 60 year old Master on the Bridgeport 412 which i retrofitted to linuxcnc ,.. Because he has Special needs For Drilling i wrote an ui which emulates the old haidenhain behaviour For Drilling
    Why ,.. Because he works 20 years that way in the Time i argue with him he could be produktive ,.. And at linuxcnc i know it Never lets me down ,..

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by G59 View Post
    Exactly.

As stated numerous times. I never compared it to Mach.

Yup, we know. A screen doesn't give you the option of how to interact with LinuxCNC. Glade sucks. Very limited in the type of available fonts. Yes I tried to install other fonts.

At least I gave it a shot. I'll just continue with my current project.

Thanks for all the help.

This is my GUI running on a dedicated keypad. It doesn't fit everyones bill but simple and to the point.

Attachment 322908
    I like that GUI a lot! Your custom creation?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yup

Tkamsker your good at it and your machine what I have seen on youtube are good, but I have seen you help the noobs

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Attachment 325942

So I tried to make a screen for linuxcnc similar to what you displayed....
    It still needs some detail work, but the concept seems pretty good....

Chris M

Wow, good job. Encouraging to say the least.
    What program did you use?
    If only you could change the fonts, it would be so cool. Any idea how that can be done?

It was done with GLADE editor and Gscreen program included with linuxcnc.
    The large DRO actually uses a different font the the rest.
    Want font did you use? I couldn't find a font close to yours on my machine but probably could download one if I knew what you used.

Chris M

Quote Originally Posted by chester88 View Post
    It was done with GLADE editor and Gscreen program included with linuxcnc.
    The large DRO actually uses a different font the the rest.
    Want font did you use? I couldn't find a font close to yours on my machine but probably could download one if I knew what you used.

Chris M

For the dro, I used the BraveNewEra font if I remember correctly.
    Also, the color for the gcode was mediumspringgreen.
    How long did this take you?

Attachment 326016

so in this pic the main DRO uses Bravenewera font, machine DRO uses transistor font.
    I agree the Gcode colors aren't well suited to the black theme..thats a separate file to work on later.

I'm guessing 8 hours off and on, but I did some coding in there to make it easier in the future that I will push to linuxcnc later.
    Also I wrote Gscreen for linuxcnc so know it well.
    I am not saying its easy - docs are lacking for sure.
    but I will add this screen when finished to linuxcnc so others would have a starting point.
    I'm not very artistic so have a hard time making nice screen from my head, but with an example like yours I can get there!

Chris M

Looks good. If you can, explain how you added the fonts so glade can work with them, and also, how can you implement hotkeys so I can eliminate the mouse.
    Thank you.

Page 3 of 4 1234