587,518 active members*
3,051 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Smithy > Smithy Automate lathe review and pics

Hybrid View

Re: Smithy Automate lathe review and pics

Quote Originally Posted by sin_arms View Post
    Somethings will be left not shown because I have spent a lot of time and money developing methods and tools but trust me you can dial a barrel in as good if not better on a cnc lathe as a manual. I see a lot less run out and smoother cutting on the cnc because it is a direct drive versus going through a gear box.
    I'm really looking for more info on what you think of this machine in relation to gun work, we've talked before on other forums about guns stuff and in my searching for info found this thread!! I'm in that bad place where I'm running enough work through to be killing myself with two jobs but can't quite make that jump to full time building just yet so I was looking at the Tormach lathe but that I saw the Automate CNC and though they were a superior machine though the controls seem more of a challenge for the novice, the Haas TL1 really looks nice and is popular in this line of work but I don't want to bite that size of a payment of right now. A full review would be very awesome!!

Re: Smithy Automate lathe review and pics

Quote Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
    I'm really looking for more info on what you think of this machine in relation to gun work, we've talked before on other forums about guns stuff and in my searching for info found this thread!! I'm in that bad place where I'm running enough work through to be killing myself with two jobs but can't quite make that jump to full time building just yet so I was looking at the Tormach lathe but that I saw the Automate CNC and though they were a superior machine though the controls seem more of a challenge for the novice, the Haas TL1 really looks nice and is popular in this line of work but I don't want to bite that size of a payment of right now. A full review would be very awesome!!
    Hello bigngreen, please feel free to give us a call, we can send you a simulator of the control. It's about as easy as they come. Thanks 800-476-4849