586,857 active members*
3,491 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Question about Path Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by hall6ppc View Post
    I know this question is of the topic of this thread . Does anybody know how to set the software limits in Path Pilot ?

Thanks
    I dont know how to change the original settings if you want to midify those.

To set the soft limits, move the axes so that they arent on the hard limit switches, then reference the axes, they are set automatically.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I dont know how to change the original settings if you want to midify those.

To set the soft limits, move the axes so that they arent on the hard limit switches, then reference the axes, they are set automatically.
    Thanks could not find any info on this in the draft manual . Maybe I missed it though .

I received my PathPilot today, mill tomorrow. I was disappointed to see that, at least in the literature I have, that the PathPilot is set up to broadcast a share but cannot access other network shares such as a NAS drive. I don't want to access a desktop. I like the appliance concept of booting into the application. However, the PathPilot hard drive is no substitute for my redundant drive NAS and cloud synchronization. Having to use a PathPilot homed share is a work around that results in extra steps and to be universally accessible would require the PathPilot to be powered on continuously. I intend to G-Edit the CAM output on the repository and want the final production version to be in a safe local location and on a cloud based repository in case my shop burns down or I have a local storage problem. Having to remember to perform another step and move it to the PathPilot share is tedious. I hope that a solution is on Tormach's enhancement calendar.

Quote Originally Posted by jahjah View Post
    I received my PathPilot today, mill tomorrow. I was disappointed to see that, at least in the literature I have, that the PathPilot is set up to broadcast a share but cannot access other network shares such as a NAS drive. I don't want to access a desktop. I like the appliance concept of booting into the application. However, the PathPilot hard drive is no substitute for my redundant drive NAS and cloud synchronization. Having to use a PathPilot homed share is a work around that results in extra steps and to be universally accessible would require the PathPilot to be powered on continuously. I intend to G-Edit the CAM output on the repository and want the final production version to be in a safe local location and on a cloud based repository in case my shop burns down or I have a local storage problem. Having to remember to perform another step and move it to the PathPilot share is tedious. I hope that a solution is on Tormach's enhancement calendar.
    Not to worry - if you are somewhat Linux savvy, it is very easy to configure the gcode directory however you want. I have mine configured as a SVN repository with a cron job that performs a "svn update" every minute. It works great and I still get to use my existing SCM system.

Others have implemented it as a Dropbox folder to perform "cloud sync" functions.

I'm sure others are using it even differently. You can definitely boot into Gnome and/or launch a command prompt (I have posted lots about how to do both of these in other threads) to make any changes you want. Keep in mind though that PathPilot is treated as a black-box appliance and not a standard Ubuntu distro - you could very well void Tormach support if you make changes.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by wtopace View Post
    Not to worry - if you are somewhat Linux savvy, it is very easy to configure the gcode directory however you want. I have mine configured as a SVN repository with a cron job that performs a "svn update" every minute. It works great and I still get to use my existing SCM system.

Others have implemented it as a Dropbox folder to perform "cloud sync" functions.

I'm sure others are using it even differently. You can definitely boot into Gnome and/or launch a command prompt (I have posted lots about how to do both of these in other threads) to make any changes you want. Keep in mind though that PathPilot is treated as a black-box appliance and not a standard Ubuntu distro - you could very well void Tormach support if you make changes.

Good luck!
    wtopace,
    Thanks for your post. I really appreciate it. I guess I should share some background. I graduated with a degree in software engineering, although it was just called computer programming back then, in 1974. I worked extensively on IBM and DEC minicomputers before there were personal computers and eventually a viable PC network. I have been in so many beta environments I can't remember them all. My partner and I were trying to remember all the languages and versions we had worked on the other day. We did some work in COBOL but only around the turn of the century when Y2K was an inflated threat and the money coaxed us into it. We wrote a number of interfaces in assembly language. I think I may have liked that the best. When Microsoft got involved, the years of being free in the field debuggers of their software wore us down. The last few years of my career, I closed down my company and I was an IT Director. We had a server farm that included a number of Unix appliances running in a Active Directory Forest. I'm not adverse to doing what I have to do but quite honestly, i would have preferred that PathPilot come with an integrated facility to access the common repositories on a Peer to peer network that is a default these days. Also, when I attempted to boot into Gnome, it did not, but I just got it a few hours ago and have a lot to do before tomorrow so I only spent about 15 minutes looking at it.
    I have no personal experience with Tormach but that would be severe if they wanted to bow out of support over something missing in the software. Any developer knows that users are going to do what they have to do one way or another. I suspect that installing the native setup and verifying a problem was still present would allay any support issues. Thanks for your concern and prompt reply. I'll check your other posts out in the near future. jah