587,028 active members*
3,467 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Anyone have tried "mill2lathe" setup? converting Tormach to a CNC lathe

Hybrid View

Re: Anyone have tried "mill2lathe" setup? converting Tormach to a CNC lathe

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    Wow, I have been wanting to be able to lathe mill parts on my tormach like this. Was everything able to be done in standard tormach version of mach?
    Do you know if Sprutcam could handle the lathe g-code for this kind of setup?
    I like how they were able to chuck up the part in a 1/2" tts holder instead of using a spindle chuck.
    Basically, with a plane-Jane tormach without any special mach program, can one cut parts like this easily?
    Thanks
    Nathan
    Yes. No modifications are needed. I use Mastercam, but any cam (FingerCam or Real) can be set up to work. The only thing I have to modify on the code output is to change arc plane from G17 (XY) to G18 (XZ) and remove tool numbers (which I can solve by modifying the post processor but I just haven't)

If I have more than one tool I use G54/G55/etc (again, remove tool change call out)

Aside from just drilling holes or surfacing I never hand code except for macros and parametric formulas ETC, but hand coding for lathe work is really quite simple since the movements are primarily 2 axis only and rarely very complex.

Brian
    WOT Designs

Thanks for the insight, Brian.
    Sometime my lack of knowledge of g-code makes me feel like that is what may be holding me back from such operations as mill lathe work.
    Has anyone here used sprutcam successfully for lathe work on their mill?
    Thanks
    Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by WOTDesigns View Post
    Yes. No modifications are needed. I use Mastercam, but any cam (FingerCam or Real) can be set up to work. The only thing I have to modify on the code output is to change arc plane from G17 (XY) to G18 (XZ) and remove tool numbers (which I can solve by modifying the post processor but I just haven't)

If I have more than one tool I use G54/G55/etc (again, remove tool change call out)

Aside from just drilling holes or surfacing I never hand code except for macros and parametric formulas ETC, but hand coding for lathe work is really quite simple since the movements are primarily 2 axis only and rarely very complex.

Brian
    WOT Designs