Quote Originally Posted by carlowens View Post
i don't see what all the arguing is about, don is telling you what works well on his machine, isn't that the point here, help with a procunier on a tormach series III? sounds like he has it figured out, thanks for the help don.
Not arguing, trying to get the facts straight, and give other users advice on how to get the best result. Is that not, after all, the whole point of these forums?

The fact is, 100% feed with a Procunier will work only if the spindle speed is exactly what you command, or slower. If it is faster, you will break the tap. I would think anyone thinking about using a Procunier would find that information useful. I don't doubt for a minute it works fine for Don, but I'd be willing to bet that is only because his spindle is, by dumb luck, running running at, or more likely below, the commanded speed. On a machine with open-loop spindle speed control, if you haven't measured the spindle RPM, you really don't know what it is. One thing is certain - it will almost never be exactly what you commanded, and whether it's faster or slower for any given command will vary considerably from one machine to the next.. If your machine happens to be running a bit fast, you WILL have problems. If I were using a tapping head for the first time, I'd like to know that.

If you and Don don't care, so be it. Don't read my posts. Nobody is forcing you to do anything. But I can assure you there are people here who are interested, as I've heard from several of them off-line, so I'm going to keep posting, and letting the admins deal with the trolls.

Regards,
Ray L.