584,833 active members*
5,627 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Procunier

Procunier

I found a big advantage of Procunier tapping head this week when the 1/2" SS shaft was bent while tapping 10-32 and leaving the feed over ride at 200%. Procunier has complete replacement parts online for my 1E Tapping head. 1E Parts

Don Clement

Re: Procunier

Ouch! Just tell yourself that after tapping all those holes that Procunier head DESERVED those nice new guts :-). It happens to all of us Don...

Quote Originally Posted by pickled View Post
    Ouch! Just tell yourself that after tapping all those holes that Procunier head DESERVED those nice new guts :-). It happens to all of us Don...
    I had my Procunier for well over ten years and this is the first time damage was done. Yeah a 4-40 tap just snaps off like a shear pin. 10-32 tap is a bit more rigid. Nice to know that replacement parts are just a click away though on Procunier's on line site and some one on the phone that speaks english without an accent ( BTW Florida accent doesn't count). 1E Parts Try that with your import tapping head. Actually dealing with procunier was similar to dealing with Tormach... excellent service.

Don Clement

I bought my Procunier through a reseller (Travers I believe) and it was drop-shipped direct from Procunier. I wanted to get a quick change collet spindle to put into it so I gave Procunier a call. Not only were they able to give me the part numbers without delay, they also let me know that they would have swapped out the regular spindle for the quick change spindle at no extra charge if I had bought the tapping head from them in the first place. The price would have been very close to the same, I wouldn't have had to deal with a middleman (who was, incidentally, not terrible helpful), and I could have got the quick change spindle too. The moral: buy direct from Procunier.

Update: My Prounier 1E. is back up and tapping after replacing the bent 1/2" SS shaft. I just tapped a bunch of 1/4-20 and M6 blind holes in 6061-T6 in my Tormach. The Pro-Quik really worked well as when tool change it was just a matter of easily and quickly switching from M6 to 1/4-20. I used a spiral flute bottom cutting tap with chips coming out the top.

Don Clement