587,487 active members*
3,351 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Tormach Enclosure

sorry.

back OT, you are probably out of luck until Steve unpacks his, as he is probably the only early adopter here on the zone who has bought one yet.

wrt to the 4th axis, since this thing is just 16 gauge sheet metal with no structural steel involved, no way I would hang an 80-90# rotary table from it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1100_enclosure.png  

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    wrt to the 4th axis, since this thing is just 16 gauge sheet metal with no structural steel involved, no way I would hang an 80-90# rotary table from it.
    Yeah, you are probably right.

The thought of leaning into the enclosure to place the dead weight of the 4th axis makes my back hurt. Could use an engine hoist but that is also a little unwieldy.

Was really hoping someone had first hand knowledge of the installed box.

nitewatchman

Quote Originally Posted by nitewatchman View Post
    Yeah, you are probably right.

The thought of leaning into the enclosure to place the dead weight of the 4th axis makes my back hurt. Could use an engine hoist but that is also a little unwieldy.

Was really hoping someone had first hand knowledge of the installed box.

nitewatchman
    Guess I will have to get my little trolley hoist finished and post some pictures. might help if description don't
    Anyway. an idea and what I will use is 1-5/8 super strut from home depot electrical department "green prefinished"
    I would mount one inside enclosure and another sandwiched outside spanning to sheet metal bends.
    make a simple trolley and clevis for the super-strut interior profile "not made to lift a car but more then enough for a 4th axis"
    then small rigging as required for moving your devices. In the end then super strut will both reinforce enclosure and provide the lift point.

I have the material and plan to do a trolley hoist out of the super-strut profile mounted to shop ceiling wood joists with all thread rods.
    With same small trolley and clevis to move things from 80lbs to 400 lbs around my shop.
    Should be small and not even noticeable up near ceiling and no great big beams that most people think of when it comes to these things.

just an idea
    md

Not on the one I received, still uses eyebolts and tubes.

After unpacking, the enclosure looks solid and well thought except for the door slides or rather "drags". I'll try it, could work better than I expect BUT I am also eyeing Pocket Door tracks.

Was going to start assembly today but a guy decided he wanted to buy my '69 Mach 1 and that took precedence.

nitewatchman

Quote Originally Posted by nitewatchman View Post
    Not on the one I received, still uses eyebolts and tubes.

After unpacking, the enclosure looks solid and well thought except for the door slides or rather "drags". I'll try it, could work better than I expect BUT I am also eyeing Pocket Door tracks.

Was going to start assembly today but a guy decided he wanted to buy my '69 Mach 1 and that took precedence.

nitewatchman
    The eye-bolts might work better if you helped them slide more easily. I would try using larger eye-bolts, and machining some plastic (Nylon, Delrin, UHMW, etc.) "sleeves" to snap inside the eyes, so the plastic slides on the rod rather than the eye-bolt itself. Swapping out the (I believe plated steel) rods for nice, smooth, precision-ground rods would likely also help a lot.

Regards,
    Ray L.